Peacock Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Simon technically an intro diver would be supposed to turn if there were a jump and that would make for a fairly short dive. I don't know about T's. Isn't there a clause about complex navigation or something?

Either way you'll have more fun if you finish your training and can go where you want.

MikeFerrara:
There's no daylight at pothole...at least not at the main line.
You may not be aware of if face down, but as of last week there was daylight easily visible if you flipped over on your back and looked up.

Roak

roakey:
You may not be aware of if face down, but as of last week there was daylight easily visible if you flipped over on your back and looked up.

Roak

Hmmm, upside down cave diving, I thought they only did that in Australia.

:eyebrow:

Mike,

During my Cave 1 (June 2003) class Pothole was considered a gap and not a jump and thus acceptable. We were permitted to make jumps at sinks only. This made Telford a good dive (security present at surface) since we had two sinks to gap and could get all the way to the rifts on 1/6ths. Non directional decisions were acceptable. I haven't been back to Peacock in over a year, so things may be different.

Dan

MikeFerrara:
Yes Simon technically an intro diver would be supposed to turn if there were a jump and that would make for a fairly short dive. I don't know about T's. Isn't there a clause about complex navigation or something?

Either way you'll have more fun if you finish your training and can go where you want.

At the Intro level the diver is not to do anything but main line travel, No Gaps, No jumps, No "T's". I'm not up on GUE's standards of comparison for Cave 1 to that of TDI, NACD or CDS

NSS-CDS standards for into. cave are no jumps, no gaps, no traverses, with dives to
begin and end at same point.

once you connect your main reel to the gold line, you're not to leave it.

H2Andy:
NSS-CDS standards for into. cave are no jumps, no gaps, no traverses, with dives to
begin and end at same point.

once you connect your main reel to the gold line, you're not to leave it.
I agree with not leaving the gold line, but the situation at pothole is a little different. It’s a T, where one direction is straight up, and daylight IS visible. It is easily arguable that going further is safe for a single tank intro cave diver. And the NSS standard you just cited doesn’t explicitly prohibit such a dive.

Here’s a situation that’s a little more difficult: An intro cave diver enters Devil’s Eye and ties onto the gold line to make a penetration into the system. Coming back, technically he/she has to make a navigational decision at the T formed by the gold line and his/her primary reel. Is such a dive permissible under the NSS standard?

Cave 1 limits

1. Gas consumption: 1/3 of doubles or 500 psi (35 bar) for penetration, whichever is less
  2. Maximum depth: 100 feet/30 meters
  3. Minimum 30 feet/9 meters of visibility to enter a cave
  4. Minimum 100 cubic feet/2832 liters of gas to enter a cave
  5. No passages in which divers are forced to travel single file
  6. No complex navigation (jumps, traverses, circuits); no gaps unless an open water exit is transited
  7. No planned decompression
  8. No scooter diving
  9. No exploration
  10. No stage cylinder use allowed
So where does this fall in line with NSS standards? Where are those listed?

GDI:
At the Intro level the diver is not to do anything but main line travel, No Gaps, No jumps, No "T's". I'm not up on GUE's standards of comparison for Cave 1 to that of TDI, NACD or CDS

Dan Gibson:
So where does this fall in line with NSS standards? Where are those listed?
Here are the actual NSS standards for Single Tank Intro Diver:

1. Penetrations; utilizing one third or less of a single cylinder. Maximum penetration volume is 30 cubic feet - 850 L of gas.
  2. Minimum volume at start of dive is 70 cu.ft. - 1980 L
  3. Linear penetrations only; dives limited to a singular passageway, no jumps or gaps to secondary passages, no traverses, no complex navigation or dive plans.
  4. Dives begin and end at the same point.
  5. Depths not to exceed 100 feet - 30 m.
  6. If NITROX is being used, MOD's are not to exceed a PO2 of 1.4 ata.
  7. No decompression diving.
  8. No restrictions (areas too small for two divers to pass through together).
  9. Minimum starting visibility of 30 feet - 9 m.
  10. No exploration or task oriented dives (goal setting) at this level of training.
  11. No solo diving.

Hmmm. It was actually good for me to type that in. I didn't remember the standard as being quite as restrictive as it is...

what jfoutz said

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom