Trip Report PDC: Full cave Aug 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Class/guiding fee was $250/day. It was just me. Tanks and fills (air or 32%) are included in class fee.
Wow private class & includes daily ride,,,I know it's MX but that's really good. Congrats again on Full Cave !!

Wow private class & includes daily ride,,,I know it's MX but that's really good. Congrats again on Full Cave !!

Thanks! Instructor said she always picks students/divers up as long as they are staying relatively close to where she lives or dive shop.

Small point -- what's PDC? (could you add the definition next to the first mention please)

And great writeup :cool:

Now to try and follow in your footsteps to do full cave and some cenote tours in the winter!

Small point -- what's PDC? (could you add the definition next to the first mention please)

And great writeup :cool:

Now to try and follow in your footsteps to do full cave and some cenote tours in the winter!

PDC=Playa del Carmen. Added to OP

I didn’t think defining that was needed!

Congratulations on your achievement and thanks for sharing the report. That is awesome.

The heat and humidity were awful. We were picking restaurants based on if they had good ac. No ac, I didn’t eat. I was definitely off my feed. Couple of nights I just went straight to bed without eating much. Just didn’t feel like it.
First, congrats, I have never taken any cave classes but know they are a ton of work even "valet". Yep, the annual canícula is tough even on the residents. We were down in that area over Labor Day weekend several years ago, and you know it's hot when the tour guide is sitting on the ground, fanning himself with his hat, and lamenting, "¡Ay, qué calor!"

I'm amazed that anyone is willing to work for US$25 a day hauling dive gear, even if presumably they get lengthy breaks while y'all are underwater.

I'm amazed that anyone is willing to work for US$25 a day hauling dive gear, even if presumably they get lengthy breaks while y'all are underwater.

Ale told me the MX minimum wage is about 100 pesos a day. Arturo, the porter, was excellent. We also provided him with lunch, water, and his preferred soft drinks, plus 100 pesos a day for transportation, as he took the minivan from Tulum, where he lives. So 500 pesos a day is a good wage, when you compare it to the minimum wage.

I gave the porter a tip of about 100 pesos and $40 US, which I was advised was a good one.

Ale told me the MX minimum wage is about 100 pesos a day. Arturo, the porter, was excellent. We also provided him with lunch, water, and his preferred soft drinks, plus 100 pesos a day for transportation, as he took the minivan from Tulum, where he lives. So 500 pesos a day is a good wage, when you compare it to the minimum wage.

I gave the porter a tip of about 100 pesos and $40 US, which I was advised was a good one.
Yeah, I am of two minds about tipping in Mexico. On the one hand, my dollar goes further, and I can make a difference in peoples lives more easily. On the other hand I don't want to completely throw off the economy. For instance, a cardiologist makes about $US50 an hour in the Yucatan town of Merida. That is also about the going rate for private English-speaking tour guides to the Chichen Itza ruins. Fair? Obviously not, but what are you going to do? I'm sure your sherpa appreciated the job, probably easier and better money than the available alternatives.

Yeah, I am of two minds about tipping in Mexico. On the one hand, my dollar goes further, and I can make a difference in peoples lives more easily. On the other hand I don't want to completely throw off the economy. For instance, a cardiologist makes about $US50 an hour in the Yucatan town of Merida. That is also about the going rate for private English-speaking tour guides to the Chichen Itza ruins. Fair? Obviously not, but what are you going to do? I'm sure your sherpa appreciated the job, probably easier and better money than the available alternatives.

The porter enabled me to concentrate on actual diving rather than schlepping gear (and having the resulting pain from the steps) so I was happy to tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom