"pcif found on com 1" message from suunto dive manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei:
Well, your problem could be a problem with the interface if you assembled it yourself. Have you done any tests? The thing is that you don't have to uninstall any software. It just can't be running and sometimes you'll have to go into the software's settings and make sure its not set to occupy the com ports. You have to verify that the com port is active and working as well, which might require you or someone qualified to do so take a look at the bios settings. Modems have even been found to sometimes be occupying the com port the interface is plugged to for one reason or another. I'd say your problem is with the interface since you say you have the DIY kit and that its timing out on you. Try downloading the older version if you can find it to see if it will recognize the interface. If it recogizes the interface then you know that the problem is between the contacts and the circuit board somewhere. Some people just have trouble building the kits. If so, the best bet is to send it back to me. It can be quite a headache if you don't know what to look for.

The problem with the newest version of divemanager seems to affect just about everybody whether using suunto's interface or otherwise. I don't have the problem because I can't see any benefit to me of using the newer software and so I still use the 4.0? version. It's obviously a new bug because pcif found on com x obviously means pc interface found on com x... so it is finding it, theres just a bug

I'm sorry, Jamie, if I wasn't too clear with my problem description. I bought the "already-built" kit. I downloaded the newest version of ActiveSync (3.7.1) today. It is set to the USB connection only. When it reinstalled, it told me (and I verified through Device Manager) that Com Ports 1 and 3 were installed and working properly. Oh, and the "time-out" message comes up immediately, if I try to transfer...

On the Suunto website there does not seem to be an option to download an older version of Divemanager.

My other troubleshooting steps were to uninstall and reinstall Divemanager, and to clean the contacts with an eraser.

One of the "techie" guys at work can help me Friday. I just can't find a way to figure out what might be occupying the Com Port :(

May be a dumb question, but are you sure that your dive computer is set in transfer mode? Some peole forget to put it in transfer mode altogether and some forget to actually select transfer mode. It's a common mistake and we all do it. It would be nice if it was something simple like that. If not, I may can email a copy of dm 4.0 to you and see if that software recognizes the interface (its possible it was damaged). As I said, that version doesn't have the "bug" and should always recognize a working interface as long as there are no pc conflicts.

jamiei:
May be a dumb question, but are you sure that your dive computer is set in transfer mode? Some peole forget to put it in transfer mode altogether and some forget to actually select transfer mode. It's a common mistake and we all do it. It would be nice if it was something simple like that. If not, I may can email a copy of dm 4.0 to you and see if that software recognizes the interface (its possible it was damaged). As I said, that version doesn't have the "bug" and should always recognize a working interface as long as there are no pc conflicts.

No, not a dumb question. I am trying to do everything I can. I did have it set to the PC-TR mode when I tried the transfer. Right now I am trying another thing I have not tried yet, which is to try it with the laptop "undocked" from the docking station. I will report if that works, but since I tried it once already, I am not hopeful...

Maybe you could email me the 4.0 version? I will PM you with my email address...

I guess the only other thing to try is another PC? I have an old desktop at home...

thanks for the help :biggrin:

jamiei:

Jamie,

Thanks for PMing me the link to the DM 1.4 software -- I downloaded it and it recognized the interface immediately. The download worked fine. Just for kicks, I re-installed the DM software from the Suunto site (v.1.5.1) and IT now works as well, for the download. I still get the message "PCIF found on 0" and then that the software is unable to find an interface. But the transfer works anyway.

I am at a loss to explain it, but it works and I am relieved. Thanks, Jamie! Now I have to get to work entering my other dive information :biggrin:

peace,

sapphire:
Jamie,

Thanks for PMing me the link to the DM 1.4 software -- I downloaded it and it recognized the interface immediately. The download worked fine. Just for kicks, I re-installed the DM software from the Suunto site (v.1.5.1) and IT now works as well, for the download. I still get the message "PCIF found on 0" and then that the software is unable to find an interface. But the transfer works anyway.

I am at a loss to explain it, but it works and I am relieved. Thanks, Jamie! Now I have to get to work entering my other dive information :biggrin:

peace,

glad it worked out for you. Looks like you probably just needed to reinstall dm 1.5 anyway, but something got it working for ya... sometimes software can do some odd stuff...

I lost all my entered dive info when my system had a meltdown about a month ago and I replaced my harddrive... Haven't had the time or energy to go back and enter everything back in... back this stuff up folks... back it up...

Hey guys, i bought one from Suunto today, hook it up, dl the software off the website, and bam- getting the same error you are, only i get pcif found on 0, then "-" on 1, then on 1 again, and then no interface! i'm going to try the software on the cd instead of the website and i'll report back.
(WinXP professional)
MK

sapphire:
I am having this same problem. I got the kit from Jamie a week or so ago, and I am still struggling with it.

I have Windows XP Pro, version 2002, service pack 1 running on a Toshiba Satellite Pro. (Suunto Divemanager V. 1.51)

Based on the FAQs regarding Palm conflicts, I uninstalled my "Microsoft Active Sync" which syncs my HP Jornada with Outlook. Still no luck.

I cannot figure out what might be using the Com Port - I am using the serial connection. I tried to run the interface anyway, and receive a "time out" error and nothing happens.

I don't know what to try now...

I have a Toshiba Sattelite Pro also... Where is the serial port??? I only have USB and FireWire!!! Also SDM seems to really not like any Serial/USB adaptor.

- PolsVoice

I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro Running WinXP home and a SUUNTO Cobra. After D/L SDM 1.51, I tried to connect using a Serial/USB adaptor with no success. Checked that my dive computer was in transfer mode, disabled all Palm software, disabled all my wireless crap, tried it with and without the adapter's software installed. Also double checked the COM port (turns out to be #5) tried to run the connection manually.

Interesting points...

1.) without the adapter software, it didn't recognize anything connected (no pcif on COM 1 message or anything... more on that later)

2.) with the adapter software, COM port in use. Even after disabling EVERYTHING. Went to the Task Manager and ended everything except for explorer and systray.

Gave up tried to connect to another computer with a serial port.

Here's what happened then...

did a test and got the message "pcif found on COM 1" then later, PC interface not found.

HOWEVER!!!! I did a print memory and the dives showed on my print preview thingy!!! Jubilation

HOWEVER (again)!!! I still cannot go through the transfer mode and d/l the dives to my hard drive. Frustratin' aint it.

I don't know if the issue is with SDM or the interface or SUUNTO just not caring about Computer needs (although they apparently fixed problems with systems running dual processors!?!?!?)

Are there any other dive software programs that will recognize the SUUNTO PC interface?

I feel like I'm about to curse.

PolsVoice

Back
Top Bottom