PC Dive Center 4 hour dive trip in Panama City, user experiences, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
Here is my situation. I was certified PADI OW at the Jetties in PCB back in the 80's. I usually dive at a local lake north of Atlanta where I live during the summer, with an occasional trip to Panama City maybe once a year. Deepest depth I've ever dove was on the channel side of the Jetties, 50-55ft. about 15-20 years ago. Had bad experience at the Jetties a few years after I was certified. Current and wave action just about knocked me off. Long story.
Anyway, I usually only dive to about 40 ft. in the lake, poor visibility, cold bottom temps.
I've have wanted for years to do the 4hr. in-shore boat dives in Panama City that usually leave out of Capt. Anderson marina and do the two tank dives. Depths in the 70-80ft. area.
I'm way pass due to get my PADI AOW. I would also like to get this done by this Fall.
I'm somewhat anxious about the depths on these dives even though the folks I've talked with say that it doesn't challenge a PADI OW too much at all.
I will never progress as a diver until I finally break through this barrier. I know I will be a good bit deeper when I do my PADI AOW check out dives later.
I'm probably wanting to use the PC Dive Center. Let me know my fears are pretty much unfounded on doing these dives and that I should be surprised in how they are within my skill level.

Thanks!

No comment on fears or skill level as I think you should decide that along with some conversation with your dive instructor/DM.

I do not dive PC often but did a couple of trips in May and June. Viz was 30 to 50+ depending on the site (Tarpon, 2 bridge spans , and the LOSS Pontoon). Seems like on all dives, we could see the bottom of the boat at depth. Current was mild in each dive, and seas were flat. Temp was 72 to 75 - probably warmer now. Other than the Tarpon, the tops of the structures were 45 to 50 feet which is somewhat close to your max. Max depth on these were 60 to 75 or so. If you dove these sites or one of the inshore wrecks (Black Bart or Strength), you can descend on the anchor line to the top of the structures and then decide on your comfort level. With that said, conditions may be better offshore than your lake dives in Atlanta or at the PCB Jetties.

Good luck - I hope it all works out for you.

I was down there a couple of weeks ago and dove through PC Dive Center (they actually had to put us on another boat...thanks Navy). The 2-tank dives are really easy...and I'm still somewhat of a newbie in terms of # of dives.

One thing to remember, even if the floor is 70 feet, you don't have to dive to the floor. Our 2nd dive was one of the bridge spans (don't remember which one) and the top of the span was only around 45 feet. My dive buddy had some issues (serious, in fact) on the 1st dive so he wanted to stay shallow on the 2nd dive. We stayed along the top of the span at 45 feet rather than dropping down to the floor at around 60-65 feet.

Go with someone that understands your concern and will follow your lead. You decide what depth you are comfortable doing. Good luck!

By the way, Borg, I'm in the South Forsyth area.

Thanks guys! I'm thinking that it's time I got these dives done and being able to stay shallow if need be, will help. I would like to get to the 60-70ft levels though if I can too.

I love diving too much to let a little fear get in my way.

To me, a little fear or respect is a healthy thing. Most problems occur when we get overconfident and don't respect the training that we have had. Take the dive in slow increments. Go to 40' and stay a while and gradually descend as you feel comfortable. Make sure you are properly weighted and enjoy the dive.

To me, a little fear or respect is a healthy thing. Most problems occur when we get overconfident and don't respect the training that we have had. Take the dive in slow increments. Go to 40' and stay a while and gradually descend as you feel comfortable. Make sure you are properly weighted and enjoy the dive.

I just talked with the shop down there and they said that most of the dives happen in 70-75 ft. of water and the tops of the bridge spans or wrecks are around 40-45ft. I think if I take it nice and slow I should be OK.
They also said the conditions on the morning dives have much calmer seas as well.
I've been out there on fishing boats in the a.m. before and the Gulf is as flat as lake.

Thanks!

Have you returned to the jettys since your bad experience? Diving the jettys is a lot easier than diving offshore with currents that are unpredictable and you can have calm seas when you go down only to come up with swells and sporty waves. Just an FYI.. PCDC boats are fun if you get Captian Rambo. I always have a blast when I am on his boat and like others have mentioned you dont have to go to the bottom.

I was just down there last week. I would advise using Panama City Dive Charters. They are located near St Andrews park. I've heard that the Dive Center uses larger boats and I want no part of riding on a cattle boat. We went out with the Better Bottom Time boat. There was plenty of room and the Divemaster, Kelly, was awesome. She really looked after everyone and made sure that we were all diving within our means. If you can dive in Lanier you can dive in the Gulf! Trust me, I have over 100 dives in Lanier and have felt anxious at times. The warm water and better vis of the Gulf makes a huge difference. We had good visibility - 55 feet I would say. No current hardly. Just remember to take your Bonine or Dramamine! We had one diver to get sick after the first dive and that can really hamper the festive mood of the boat!

I was just down there last week. I would advise using Panama City Dive Charters. They are located near St Andrews park. I've heard that the Dive Center uses larger boats and I want no part of riding on a cattle boat. We went out with the Better Bottom Time boat. There was plenty of room and the Divemaster, Kelly, was awesome. She really looked after everyone and made sure that we were all diving within our means. If you can dive in Lanier you can dive in the Gulf! Trust me, I have over 100 dives in Lanier and have felt anxious at times. The warm water and better vis of the Gulf makes a huge difference. We had good visibility - 55 feet I would say. No current hardly. Just remember to take your Bonine or Dramamine! We had one diver to get sick after the first dive and that can really hamper the festive mood of the boat!

I usually don't get seasick. I talked with the shop down there and they said that the seas are usually the calmest in the mornings. If it's 1-2 seas, they're OK, bigger chop they usually scrub the trip for better conditions.
They said they even take their PADI OW students out there to do their checkout dives, which made me feel better. The fact that there is some structures at each site off the bottom will help me ease in the lower depths at my own pace.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom