PBY Catalina Found in Lake Mead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gottrimix

Registered
Reaction score
NPS SRCU team found a PBY this last December that went down in Lake Mead decades ago. The wreck is in about 185' of water and is in two pieces. Coordinates were made available at a meeting tonight.

Two bodies have never been recovered or found from this wreck. NPS has opened this site up for technical divers.

Thanks to NPS and Dave Conlin of SRCU for finding and sharing this cool wreck site.

Is this the same Grumman Goose that flew to Catalina until the 1970's or was the military version different?

"NPS SRCU team found a PBY this last December"

Why are a bunch of guys getting paid to dive and explore, spending my tax money, at a time when National Parks are closing facilities and not maintaining trails and basic services? That whole SRCU team makes my blood boil. I think there original acronym, SCRU was more appropriate.

Show me one bit of "preservation" they have done.

drbill:
Is this the same Grumman Goose that flew to Catalina until the 1970's or was the military version different?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The "Catalina flying boat" was a WW11 & Koren war high wing two engine airplane made by Consolidated

The air planes that serviced Catalina Island from Long Beach California were made by Grumman in the 1930s and were considerably smaller and different configerations than the Catalina

Cheers from California--where it all began,

SDM

sam miller:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The "Catalina flying boat" was a WW11 & Koren war high wing two engine airplane made by Consolidated

The air planes that serviced Catalina Island from Long Beach California were made by Grumman in the 1930s and were considerably smaller and different configerations than the Catalina

Cheers from California--where it all began,

SDM

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess this one was like the PBY the Cousteau Society used, the one that Philippe lost his life in when he landed it in Lisbon, Portugal, back in 1979?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom