PayPal Sucks, Sides With Scammer in Hollywood, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I needed to clean out some inventory and sold an OlympusTG-6, with Olympus housing and Backscatter M52 Air lens to a diver in Hollywood, Florida. The sale was made via PayPal, andI even included some extra stuff just because. USPS tracking shows the package was delivered but the buyer claims it wasn't there. He claimed to have asked neighbors too but no package. He files a claim with PayPal saying never got it. I provided PayPal with the tracking information, and a document from USPS showing the GPS coordinates of the driver at the time the package was delivered. As PayPal was going to close the case in my favor, the buyer informs me that a neighbor, whom he hasn't met, had actually picked up the package on the day it was delivered and scared away a thief in the process. The neighbor had been out of town but was now back and called the buyer at work to let him know he had it. How the neighbor he doesn't know got his work number was never explained. The buyer did not inform PayPal he received the package, so PayPal left the dispute open and held onto my money for two more weeks.

On the day the lost package dispute was supposed to close the buyer makes a new dispute, stating there was a scratch on the air lens. He wanted $200 refunded for the scratch. The air lens was 5 years old and and I only paid $149.00 for it new. This went on for almost a month as the buyer began to become juvenile and antagonistic in his messages to me. I asked him on three separate occasions to return the camera and I would refund his money. Finally PayPal told him to return the camera or they would close the case. The buyer posted a USPS tracking number on PayPal which was had not USPS history and then sent me a box containing beach sand. I videoed opening the box because I did not trust him. I sent all this to PayPal and today received a message that they were closing the case in favor of the buyer. He keeps the camera and gets his money back. Oh, and PayPal charged me a $15.00 dispute fee on top of that. When I reached out to PayPal they said the case was closed and I could file with the local police if I wanted to. I'm currently reaching out to the Hollywood Florida PD to see if they would even file a case.

So PayPal sucks and I will never use them again when selling anything. In all the years Ive sold gear to other divers I've never had a problem either selling buying, guess it was bound to happen.

The great thing about paypal is you can call them and get this resolved.
This post should be relocated to the Jokes and Humor section.

Yikes!

A friend was on the other end of that equation a few years ago -- and Paypal and Paypal Credit created a bit of an odd stumbling block.

Some used diving equipment, a full face mask and regulator, had been purchased from an eBay seller in, supposedly, Nebraska, through Paypal Credit, with all of the buyer "protections" that they then afforded -- only to find out that the rodent-damaged equipment and the eBay seller were actually in Scandinavia; and that the protections applied, at that time, only to domestic purchases, regardless of the seller's bogus domestic mailing address.

It took weeks, six or more, many emails and phone calls, "dangling from phone trees," I was told, and about a dozen photos of the trashed gear that I supplied; and packaging with both a foreign address and Customs douane to get Paypal and eBay to arrange for a partial refund, which they eventually did -- all to save, after all was said and done, only a couple of hundred dollars, after new parts and sundry repairs, from purchasing that gear new.

Lesson learned . . .

The great thing about paypal is you can call them and get this resolved.
No, you can’t. I’ve gone back and forth with PayPal for three months. No matter how much evidence I’ve sent them they still found for the buyer

I'm really not sure what to make of the comments making fun of the OP. He is in fact completely correct: PayPal is terribly anti-consumer and I won't use it unless forced to. It is nothing like a credit card company, which in my experience will have your back more often than not if you've got credible evidence supporting your side.

I loved this book when I was a kid

1717524370216.png

This sucks. Since I live right next door to Hollywood, FL, for future reference, sell/buy local. It's so sad down here that this place (South Florida) is a "Me me me" mentality and the whole sending you beach sand reinforces that statement.

If you're filing a report with Hollywood PD, verify the zip code. Mine shows up as Hollywood but I'm actually Pembroke Pines. If the person is in Pines, I have some buddies at the PD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom