Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where as the people on The Cove, gathered evidence on the sly, the main guy gets harassed by the fishermen but doesn't attack them physically or anything and so on. They keep their stuff as low key as possible (well as possible as you can get with a group of Westerners showing up in a small Japanese town with huge amounts of luggage) and go in and set up all these discreet cameras (lot of expense and time it appeared). They then go on to make an award winning documentary that can be used to educate people about the killing of cetaceans...

Yeah, I actually agree with you on this. It's just to bad the movie was muzzled in Japan. As a result only the choir got the preaching.

Not being vegan doesn't make me a hypocrite. You dont know how I select my food choices. There are environmentally friendly ways to eat meat. Stopping meat intake doesnt make me more friendly to the environment necessarily.

Also, I notice you have issues with numbers that are not presented by the anti-whaling camp, but while you quote numbers you dont have any citations for your sources.

I dunno this would be a pretty poor reason. Going to war to stop whaling... when your own country kills so many.

What makes you think I want to go to war over this . I'm ashamed of our country for killing whales. Our excuse is probably the over growing less popular "political correctness". We allow Indians to kill them to make them feel better about their heritage. That's BS too in my book.

Funny how Americans seem to be much more concerned with the plight of man eating cougars than peaceful in telligent whales.

Australia growing some nads whlie Japan defies them...

Japan Defies Australia on Whaling - NYTimes.com

TOKYO — Japan rebuffed a threat by Australia to take Tokyo to court over its whaling in the Antarctic, saying on Friday that the annual hunts were permitted under international law and accusing the Australian government of exploiting the issue for political gain.

Australia said it will take Japan to the International Court of Justice in The Hague to argue that Japanese whaling expeditions violate international obligations and a quarter-century moratorium on commercial whaling.

The legal action against its major trading partner underlines the Australian government’s “commitment to bring to an end Japan’s program of so-called scientific whaling” in the southern waters, Environment Minister Peter Garrett and Attorney General Robert McClelland said in a joint statement.

“We want to see an end to whales being killed in the name of science in the Southern Ocean,” Mr. Garrett said.

But Agriculture Minister Hirotaka Akamatsu said Tokyo was unfazed.

“Scientific whaling is recognized” under international law, he told a group of reporters in Tokyo, referring to the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling, which authorizes the use of special permits to kill whales for scientific purposes.

The International Whaling Commission, which currently has 88 nations as members, banned commercial whaling in 1986, although some native and aboriginal groups are permitted to hunt whales for food. Norway and Iceland have since objected to the moratorium and continue to hunt whales.

International law also allows whaling for scientific purposes, and Japan uses this codicil to license its deep-water whalers.

“The Japanese have seized on that loophole and stretched it beyond all recognition,” said Steve Shallhorn, head of Greenpeace Australia Pacific.

Last season, Japan killed about 500 whales in the Antarctic, and about 300 in the Pacific. Some Japanese towns also engage in coastal whaling and dolphin hunts.

“I do not wish to harm Japan-Australia relations over all, but I hope to assert that what’s wrong is wrong,” Mr. Akamatsu said.

He also suggested that the Australian government was using the issue to drum up domestic political support.

“There will be general elections in Australia in the fall, and the Labor administration faces an uphill road,” he said, adding “that is also probably behind” Australia’s actions.

The Australian action also comes just three weeks before a meeting of the International Whaling Commission in Morocco where the scientific-whaling issue will again be debated.

“Certainly this action has upped the ante from the Australian government,” said Reece Turner, an anti-whaling campaigner for Greenpeace. “But we need to ensure that Australia is not dealt out of the negotiations and that a deal doesn’t slip through that would legitimize whaling in the Southern Ocean.”

Japan’s annual whale hunt — which typically begins in November or December — has come under attack from conservationists in recent years, with vessels from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society sometimes clashing violently at sea with the whaling fleet.

The Sea Shepherd group also has sharply criticized Mr. Garrett and the Australian government for not pressing the Japanese hard enough on a whaling ban. But on Friday, Sea Shepherd’s Australian director said his group was optimistic about the threatened legal action.

“Sea Shepherd commends the Australian government for living up to its pre-election promise, and for having the guts to stand up to the Japanese whalers,” said the director, Jeff Hansen.

On Thursday, Peter Bethune, a New Zealander with the Sea Shepherd group, pleaded guilty in a Tokyo court to charges that included trespassing and the destruction of property during an incident on a Japanese whaling boat in February.

Mr. Bethune had surreptitiously boarded the whaler to present its captain with a $3 million bill for damages caused by an earlier collision with Mr. Bethune’s Sea Shepherd boat, the Ady Gil, which was harassing the whaler at sea.

Mr. Bethune was held on board the whaler and arrested when the boat docked in Japan. Mr. Bethune, 45, could face up to 15 years in prison.

Australia growing some nads whlie Japan defies them...

Japan Defies Australia on Whaling - NYTimes.com

“Scientific whaling is recognized” under international law, he told a group of reporters in Tokyo, referring to the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling, which authorizes the use of special permits to kill whales for scientific purposes.

International law also allows whaling for scientific purposes, and Japan uses this codicil to license its deep-water whalers.

Hmm looks like the moratorium is recognized as law, even by Japan. Unless, of course, the NYTIMES is just a bunch of evidence-less liars too. Japan uses "research" whaling to skirt law.

The movie was to be shown in several Japanese theatres but the pulled it because
of death threats.
Now who are the terrorists here?

I remember the news talking about only a two or three theaters having it, and those who had seen it were silenced and not allowed to speak to international media about it. Also, no advertisements were shown about it. Seems like Japan is hiding something even from its own people.

It's good to see the Australian govt taking legal action against the Japanese government. A bunch of loons, running around, ramming ships, accomplishes nothing.

I dunno this would be a pretty poor reason. Going to war to stop whaling... when your own country kills so many.

HAHAHA yes, only the US kills people in other countries. Riiiiight. Try looking around, all countries do ****ty things, including kill their own citizens unjustly; don't pretend like the US is the worst and that they are the only country with problems.

Back on topic. Whaling prevention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom