Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webhead:
I would really like you to explain why that would be?
I'd have thought that was obvious. If an airline has to book new potential costs that they aren't responsible for now (rightly or wrongly) then they will have to adjust their business model accordingly. Certainty costs money.....a LOT more than say....95% best effort. :wink:

webhead:
I would really like you to explain why that would be?

This is not a bill to charge taxes or make the airlines fly people for free.

Actually you're right, depending on what legislation is passed or how it is implemented. I should have said higher taxes. Someone will have to monitor this whole problem and one way or another, it's going to cost us. It may well be the ordinary tax payer instead of just people who fly.

All interesting links, David. Did you have an on-topic point that I missed...?

I have long known about rule 240 and have had no problems obtaining relief under it. Indeed, the airlines I have used have extended courtesies even when the rule was excluded for weather delays. Funny thing is, Jet Blue did not treat this as a weather delay - they actually loaded bodies onboard and pushed away from the gate perhaps to enhance ontime performance as well as move their equipment and paying bodies along in their rotating system so as to make room for new revenue bodies.

And the American Society of Travel Agents is a voice that makes statements like those, but they have no authority over the airlines.

The fact remains that Jet Blue waited 5 hours before requesting Port Authority assistance in evacuation, and under current regulations they do not have to have make any amends or changes they do not want to extend. The only current pressure on the airlines to not treat passengers in the way that is coming from the public outcry and discussions like this one.

Someone suggest trying the exercise of sitting in your parked car for a couple of hours. Hah! Try loading your car to legal capacity with friends, then sit there for 10 or 11 hours. Pity the guys in the middle seats. Convenient for your wives perhaps to have you all out of the way for so long, just as it was convenient for the airline, but if your trusted wife locked you inside and disabled your car to force you into such where you could not escape...??

Don, what topic are we talking about? The one you and PiFi are, or the one many others are? So typical to call different opinions or views off topic out of the gate. You can not legislate perfection.
There are many other avenues to proceed with dealing with this. The topic is to my understanding...more government control, period. I am quite on topic with this, the links were meant to broaden people's understanding on other issues and concerns in the air travel industry.
This was a one in a few mishandlings of passengers, but it will occur with the right circumstances.
Can you make laws covering those circumstances? I don't think so.
Why don't you get with the topic, read between the lines.
Yes there is money to be made, that is capitalism, but they are also doing business in a wide variety of markets which all,
I'm sure require premier customer service, do you think they (jetblue) blatently ignored this part of doing business?
links, we need links :D

DandyDon:
All interesting links, David. Did you have an on-topic point that I missed...?

I have long known about rule 240 and have had no problems obtaining relief under it. Indeed, the airlines I have used have extended courtesies even when the rule was excluded for weather delays. Funny thing is, Jet Blue did not treat this as a weather delay - they actually loaded bodies onboard and pushed away from the gate perhaps to enhance ontime performance as well as move their equipment and paying bodies along in their rotating system so as to make room for new revenue bodies.

And the American Society of Travel Agents is a voice that makes statements like those, but they have no authority over the airlines.

The fact remains that Jet Blue waited 5 hours before requesting Port Authority assistance in evacuation, and under current regulations they do not have to have make any amends or changes they do not want to extend. The only current pressure on the airlines to not treat passengers in the way that is coming from the public outcry and discussions like this one.

Someone suggest trying the exercise of sitting in your parked car for a couple of hours. Hah! Try loading your car to legal capacity with friends, then sit there for 10 or 11 hours. Pity the guys in the middle seats. Convenient for your wives perhaps to have you all out of the way for so long, just as it was convenient for the airline, but if your trusted wife locked you inside and disabled your car to force you into such where you could not escape...??
I guess you missed it.

I don't agree with you but it's refreshing to see you type more than a sentence that is not a one line attempt at humor. It's amazing what a little sunlight will do.

NO doubt you will lapse back to your usual ways shortly.:(

dlndavid:
Don, what topic are we talking about? The one you and PiFi are, or the one many others are? So typical to call different opinions or views off topic out of the gate. You can not legislate perfection.
There are many other avenues to proceed with dealing with this. The topic is to my understanding...more government control, period. I am quite on topic with this, the links were meant to broaden people's understanding on other issues and concerns in the air travel industry.
This was a one in a few mishandlings of passengers, but it will occur with the right circumstances.
Can you make laws covering those circumstances? I don't think so.
Why don't you get with the topic, read between the lines.
Yes there is money to be made, that is capitalism, but they are also doing business in a wide variety of markets which all,
I'm sure require premier customer service, do you think they (jetblue) blatently ignored this part of doing business?
links, we need links :D

Back
Top Bottom