Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
I agree totally but none of it is coming from "Dr" Laura:rofl3:
I used to listen to Dr? Laura and Rush Weirdo when I was active on the farm & cow operation as that was about all the talk shows I could find certain hours, and they caused me many near misses driving between farms. :shakehead Too bad the Fruitcake Lady passed on, as she was a much better entertainer.

PF, you're not going to get anywhere with unlawful detention, I don't think. That's our problem - the company did not break any current laws or regs, therefore there's nothing to stop them or another airline from pulling a stunt like this again.

It's fortunate that no one has gone berserk on any of these aluminum tombs, and pocket knives are not allowed as the tension on these tubes must get awful over the hours of senseless waiting. What's it going to take to convince of the need for protection? Passengers thrashing a plane in desperation?

DandyDon:
I used to listen to Dr? Laura and Rush Weirdo when I was active on the farm & cow operation ...

Dr? Laura:
* BS, Biological Sciences, SUNY Stonybrook, Long Island, NY
* MS, M Phil, Ph.D. (Physiology), Columbia University (College of Physicians and Surgeons), NY
* Post-Doctoral Certification in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling, Human Relations Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
* Licensed Marriage, Family and Child Counselor (MFCC), California, formerly in private practice for 12 years
* Past member of the Biological Sciences faculty of the University of Southern California (five years) and the graduate Psychology faculty of Pepperdine University (eight years)
* UCLA and UC Irvine Extension course instructor

No thread hijack intended; posted for info to clarify Dr. Schlessinger's credentials. She provides excellent interpersonal recommendations IMO.:coffee:

Back to thread: With all of the successful spurious law suits...ie profiling, hot coffee, etc, I would expect imprisoned passengers to choose to sue in court and to win.

Perhaps a bit legally naiive....

DandyDon:
IPF, you're not going to get anywhere with unlawful detention, I don't think. That's our problem - the company did not break any current laws or regs, therefore there's nothing to stop them or another airline from pulling a stunt like this again.

It's fortunate that no one has gone berserk on any of these aluminum tombs, and pocket knives are not allowed as the tension on these tubes must get awful over the hours of senseless waiting. What's it going to take to convince of the need for protection? Passengers thrashing a plane in desperation?

I would not pursue illegal detention in court, nor do I think this issue will be litigated but something needs to happen that will allow trapped passengers egress from the cramped, dirty, confines of the aluminum tube

Here's one to think about: you are stuck in traffic in a taxi. 6, 8, 10 and 11 hours go by. Each hour the driver tells you it should clear up soon. The doors are locked so you can not get out. You demand the doors to the cab open so you can get out. The driver will not let you out and keeps telling you thet raffic will clear in a short while. What would you do?

What's the difference between the cab and the plane?

pilot fish:
Here's one to think about: you are stuck in traffic in a taxi. 6, 8, 10 and 11 hours go by. Each hour the driver tells you it should clear up soon. The doors are locked so you can not get out. You demand the doors to the cab open so you can get out. The driver will not let you out and keeps telling you thet raffic will clear in a short while. What would you do?

It's the same only if you have a full cab, every seat taken - even better if you're in the middle.

DandyDon:
It's the same only if you have a full cab, every seat taken - even better if you're in the middle.

Yes, that does it.

I wonder what would happen if you started taking a poll of passengers on the plane with you? OK, all those that want to go back to the terminal, or a bus, and get off this plane, raise your hand. Now, clearly 2/3 of the plane voted yes, we want off. What happnes now? I would think they have to bow to the majority pressure?:confused:

pilot fish:
tedtim, no violation, no cost. Allow passengers the right to deplane after a 3 hour wait. Where is that a cost to airline that would get passed on? IF THERE ARE NO MORE VIOLATIONS, THEN THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL COST.
I am not saying that passengers should have to remain on an aircraft. What I am saying is that trying to implement a law will result in costs to enforce that law, let alone any costs to the airlines of having to pay passengers when it is violated.

How do you measure 3 hours, and what do you use to set the standard at 3 hours? How long would the airlines have to compensate the passengers? How long would it take to get compensation into the hands of the passengers? What would be the cost of the process just in case this happens? If the passenger is not satisfied with the outcome then who would they turn to for adjudication?

I guess that I should not have to pay for police services or fire services unless I have to use them too. No violation, no cost. Bad economic theory here.

pilot fish:

1. You pay the cab by either distance or waiting time when they are stopped - you pay a set price for the seat on the aircraft regardless.

2. Cabs can select alternate routes and are not constrained in the same way that aircraft are - that is, one airport to another.

3. The competition among cabs is much greater than that among airlines, even if the rates are regulated.

4. It is much easier to break the window of a cab than it is the window of an aircraft, and I could probably fit through the window of a cab.:wink:

5. An airline ticket contains clauses and conditions. AFAIK acceptance of the terms and conditions is one of the requirements for travel. Check your ticket to see what it says as a form of contract.

I would still raise h*** if they tried to hold me on an aircraft for 10 hours while it waited for departure. I just don't believe that any new law will truly resolve the situation.

"How do you measure 3 hours, and what do you use to set the standard at 3 hours?" tedtim

OK, look at your watch and if says 12 noon, [ both hands will be on the 12 ], make a note of that. Now, when the little hand is on the 3 and the big hand is on the 12, 3 hours have elapsed. :rofl3: Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

All we want, as passengers, is the freedom to get off a plane that is stuck in the holding area on the runway for 3 hours. After 3 hours whatever was causing the plane to be delayed should have reasonably been cleared up, and if it has not, chances are it will not. We want O F F

What cost is involved in that, that other passengers would have to pay?:confused:

tedtim:
I am not saying that passengers should have to remain on an aircraft. What I am saying is that trying to implement a law will result in costs to enforce that law, let alone any costs to the airlines of having to pay passengers when it is violated.

How do you measure 3 hours, and what do you use to set the standard at 3 hours? How long would the airlines have to compensate the passengers? How long would it take to get compensation into the hands of the passengers? What would be the cost of the process just in case this happens? If the passenger is not satisfied with the outcome then who would they turn to for adjudication?

I guess that I should not have to pay for police services or fire services unless I have to use them too. No violation, no cost. Bad economic theory here.

Nice try. Sorry, that doesn't do it:shakehead You would not tolerate it in a cab, metered or flat fee, so why do we have to put up with it on planes?:no

tedtim:
1. You pay the cab by either distance or waiting time when they are stopped - you pay a set price for the seat on the aircraft regardless.

2. Cabs can select alternate routes and are not constrained in the same way that aircraft are - that is, one airport to another.

3. The competition among cabs is much greater than that among airlines, even if the rates are regulated.

4. It is much easier to break the window of a cab than it is the window of an aircraft, and I could probably fit through the window of a cab.:wink:

5. An airline ticket contains clauses and conditions. AFAIK acceptance of the terms and conditions is one of the requirements for travel. Check your ticket to see what it says as a form of contract.

I would still raise h*** if they tried to hold me on an aircraft for 10 hours while it waited for departure. I just don't believe that any new law will truly resolve the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom