Paraplegic in training; new member

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideshow Rick:
Hello, new to diving and this board. Just passed second knowledge review, test and confined water dive, on my way to Basic Open Water. As we're nearing the end of summer, can anyone impart some data on the use of a drysuit for a disabled diver (paraplegic)? The use of gators to keep air out of legs, feet. One of the biggest difficulties I have is peeling on/off a wetsuit and for now am just using a skinsuit.

Also I'm interested in a bc such as a Mares Jouney or Dacor Rig2 or Falcon, I think since I use my arms for everything that these types of bc would provide a greater range of movement and less restriction. Any comments?

Thanks

Rick

Hi and welcome to the board. As a person with a (much less severe) physical disability myself, when I first started diving I was naturally curious about other divers with disabilities. I'm sure you've probably already looked into some of these organizations, but here are some places you may be able to connect with other divers with disabilities. The top two seem to be more of the “leading” organizations in the industry even if their use of words isn’t…

“Handicapped Scuba Assoc. Int’l”
http://www.hsascuba.com/

“International Association for Handicapped Divers”
http://www.iahd.org/

These pages have several hyperlinks and info:

http://www.gatorsport.phhp.ufl.edu/scuba.html

http://www.ncpad.org/fun/fact_sheet.php?sheet=49&view=all&print=yes

Thank you all for the kind welcome and encouragement. I am keeping a diary of this experience that will be posted on my instructors website diversdescent.com when we're a bit farther along.

For now i'm just using a skinsuit as it's just too darn difficult to get into a good fitting wetsuit, so I'm thinking the drysuit's looser fit may be easier to get into.

My first doc wanted me to go through an HSA instructor but there are none local, so I got another doctor.

Thanks again for all the kind replies and will certainly be checking in here often.

Rick

Welcome to the board!
Good luck Rick.

Joe

Howdy!

Welcome to SB. You've found the right place - friendly crowd, good answers, new friends...

Matt the Wonder Boy is a member of our official Greeter Team, and in his zest to help compensate for the greeters on holiday and hiding from Frances, he may not have read your title and post very closely. Or - maybe he didn't want to muddle the viz on your thread by citing his challenges.

Matt has contacts in the industry who would be very helpful, though. He has a DUI dry suit, and was a DUI Dog of the Month. For his story, click here:

http://scubaboard.com/t61189-.html

You might like to PM him and explore common ground.

Any post any new experiences on New To Scuba, if you'd like.

PM me if I can help you find your way around here, as I cannot follow all the subsequent posts on Intro threads. :crafty:

don

Hi there! My name is Kayla, and I have been diving for over two years now! I think that you will be able to learn a lot here at ScubaBoard, and hopefully you will be able to post about some of your experiences as well. If you have any questions, please PM me. Otherwise, I hope to get to know you better around the boards!

Safe diving!
Kayla :dazzler1:

Welcome Rick:

I've done 20 dives or so as a C4-6 quad. All my dives have been the warm waters of the Andaman Sea so I can't comment on your drysuit concerns. I have used drysuits during two 15 day trips running the Grand Canyon and found that getting into one required more than one person to get it over my head. I hope you have short hair (Mine is shaved and I recommend lube.

I rigged a pully system (I'm an ex-climber) to get around the dive boat and over the side. I had no problems with any BCD but remember, I can't move my fingers and don't feel my hands so I don't use handfins. If I did I couldn';t equalize my ears.

I have photos if your interested. I'll be returning the Thailand (my 7th visit) to dive this winter.

Best of luck

Daniel Barnes

Welcome Rick,

I have taught a couple of para's, never in dry though, I think there is the need for a good buddy, but I am sure you have thought of that. one thing that might help is distributing your weights both on ankles, but also in thigh pockets. These should be readilly dumpable, and help keep the lower end in the lower end.

Post that course log. Id love to hear.

Hey All,

You guys and gals are great. Last sat passed the third knowlege review, test, and confined water dive. Still diving in the pool with just the skinsuit and after about an hour it gets awefully chilly. Making good progress but not sure if we'll have the time to do the open water dives this fall in the quarry due to the temp! If not it'll give me time to gear up for early spring.

Still making progress,

Rick

I read somewhere that skydiving was like suicide, but without the commitment...

Congratulations Rick!
My hat is off to you and good luck with your quest!
Keep us posted..would love to see the diary!
Be safe!
Drew

Back
Top Bottom