Paralyzed by choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, BTW Skittl, If you are interested, the price for El Cid la Ceiba is better on Orbitz as opposed to booking directly. Also, I have also stayed at the Park Royal which is just North of El Cid....Perhaps Alison picks up there as well ??? It is a nice place...kind of spread out...they do push the Time Share a bit, but if you are not interested it can be avoided. Just trying to brainstorm and give you some ideas to work with that have you not having to change your Dive OP or cost extra for a taxi to Caleta. Overall, no worries...you will come up with a fantastic plan !

Double S

Decisions decisions. Stay further south to decrease taxi fare to the caleta and you probably increase the taxi fare to town to eat.

Decisions decisions. Stay further south to decrease taxi fare to the caleta and you probably increase the taxi fare to town to eat.

Yep. I think in town is better. Because I want to be able to walk to get food. And a variety of food.

I'm here in Cozumel and staying at the reasonably priced, and good value for money, Suites Colonial which is just of the main square - so close to lots of buzz. I plan on trying a few dives with Eco Divers, anyone got any feedback on them?

Decompression illness effects vary so widely amongst individuals and within individuals across dives that, if we presume post dive fatigue in unusually susceptible people is such an effect, that it would be hard to generalize findings, whether positive or negative, to a specific individual.

Furthermore, much of what there is to know and experience in life has never been published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal article having been statistically demonstrated to a likelihood of difference due to chance of under 5%. And most of it never will. Refusing to acknowledge anything that hasn't is not intellectually enlightened.

A number of people who dive frequently, such as teaching classes, find it beneficial for them.

Ask yourself this; if you try it, and it is substantially effective for you, what do you really care whether it's a physiological or placebo effect, or whether the effect was disproportionate in a study group vs. a control group with the likelihood of that difference between exclusively due to chance of under 5%?

Put another way, I use a lot of things that I haven't seen scientifically demonstrated; toilet paper and bath water come to mind. I hope nobody out there's holding out for a study...

Richard.

Sounds like you're set on downtown, but if you are considering south and paying a taxi into town for supper, I'd suggest Casa del Mar. It's small. It's resorty. It has a restaurant. It's free pickup from the dock. It's 80 pesos to the malecon by taxi. Nice shore diving out front. Ernesto's Fajita Factory is right across the street and about 3/4th of a block away is the other neat restaurant whose name I can't remember. They service the Tikila bar right across the street. It takes me 45 seconds to get from the furthest room to the restaurant. You absolutely want a balcony room there if you're diving. The cheap rooms are too small for 2 divers. No time share people. It's quiet. We wait for everyone to get to the lobby before we ask for a taxi because the taxi shows up so quickly. Also, they have dive lockers right on the dock. Super convenient. Beautiful grounds. Lovely people.

As to nitrox, last trip was 2 weeks. We slowed down near the end but still did 42 dives. No way I could do that without nitrox. Years ago I'd dive like that on air and when I switched to nitrox on 2nd and 4ths, it was a world of difference. Anecdotal or not.

Personally, I'd rather take a taxi to supper than the caletta. When I'm tired, and after 4 tanks a day, even with nitrox, you feel it, it's easier to be dropped off right at the restaurants door than to walk 3-5-7 blocks to supper. On the other hand, if you're doing 2 tanks a day, a little nap before supper should make that a non issue.

For now, if Allison is your comfort zone, stick with her. You're there to dive. But, there are many really good dive shops that will pick you up at Aldora's pier. (I think there's another pier down there too?)

-Blair

Last edited by a moderator:
Skittl .... what Sue Sue said!!!! She actually got the DH & I hooked on Villa Escondida!! And now we can't stop going back!!! We just stayed there in Oct & Feb, and we'll be back for our third time in November.

The place is great - perfect location a couple blocks from the Plaza, a couple blocks to the waterfront, a short walk to Mega, easy walking to many of the restaurants ...... and as Sue Sue pointed out - Magda's breakfast are to DIE FOR!!!!! (I get hungry just thinking about them! We are talking amazing interior Mexican cuisine!) Pool is decent size; garden is beautiful - with various sitting areas; rooms are very nice. It's like staying at a nice, little private oasis.

Like you, we cab to the marina to dive with Alison (coming up on our 10 year anniversary with her!) Have never had any issues grabbing a cab from Villa Escondida, and if Magda's around, she will often just call one for us.

The density of fresh water at 70 degrees it is 8.32 ppg. The density of sea water varies but on average is 8.53 ppg with the 3.5% dissolved solids (salts and minerals).

I believe that is insoluble.

The point was that the dissolved solids, such as salts and minerals increase the density of the water. Nevermind.............:D
Is that what the parrot fish swim over you and 'dissolve'?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom