Panicked on first deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading through these posts, I don't believe anyone has mentioned the single largest physiological reason for the "panicy" feeling you might be having. 40', is not "deep" by anyone's standards, and narcosis simply won't be a factor unless you are a physiological annomoly.

Over the years, I've seen my share of "near-panic" situations or students that are simply feeling "off"...

Something you should look at is your equipment and how it feels. Poor air exchange, and the ensuing build-up of CO2 can be caused by any number of things... a wetsuit that is too tight; a poorly-tuned regulator; a tank valve which isn't fully opened. Even a mask that isn't sitting comfortably and is leaky or fogging can cause stress and poof gas exchange. Pay special attention to your hood if you are wearing one, and how tight it is around your neck and jaw.

So consider that, and when you are diving next, make sure you are breathing naturally and deeply.

And has man others have said, get out and dive with more experienced divers, but make them aware of your not-so-good dive...

Good luck!

you mean "be allowed to dive deeper then OW" not "prepared"

you hardly have any dives, what makes you think that taking a course, more theory and a couple of dives, would make you prepared for deep diving?
what you need is experience, i.e. more dives
our OW certification lets us go to 130ft after 20 hrs of logged dives, not that i have an interest in going that deep, but when i was below 24 dives i was even freaked out about going to 50-60ft
took me about 25 dives to be comfortable and gradually go deeper and deeper as the comfort level increased
everyone is different tho, just thought i share my experience

I agree everyone's different. Maybe I should credit excellent OW training and guidance from my local dive shop, but I didn't feel at all freaked out at going to 60 feet in warm Gulf water off Destin in fairly good visibility, with a good buddy, for my first couple of post-cert dives (June of 1999).

Then I was indeed pretty much anxious in Mass Bay off Barnstable, boat dive where I didn't get deeper than about 40 feet but it was dark, cold (62F surface, 54F at depth, in July!!), poor vis, and I'd lost the group and the reef. But I didn't freak out as such, and got back to the boat okay after a (deliberately) very short dive. Second dive was better, longer, I and I was calmer, warmer, and viz was a little better. They said "now you've dived the f*&%#@g *North Atlantic Ocean*, dude", so I felt pretty good afterwards, if not necessarily during.

Then my next dives (meaning post-cert dives 5 thru 17 if you're counting here) were at the Flower Gardens, way offshore, September 1999, on the FLING. Good buddies. Great visibility. Little current. Calm seas mostly. Prevailing depth in the 70's, some some 80s, you had to "work" to get 90. These seemed "easier" than the Destin dives, and much much easier than the Barnstable dives. Also WAY more beautiful with all that coral and wildlife (the "Texas Caribbean"!). Plus a platform dive (way cool) and a night dive at Stetson (like landing on the Moon, fascinating). And the fun camaraderie of the boat, the fellowship, the "aluminum beach" sundeck, the gorgeous starry sky at night, and the "dive, eat, sleep" routine.

Deepest dive was 98' at Stetson, and we had to go "over the edge of the wall" to even get that, just 'cause the boat's limit for us was 100', tee-hee. So really most of your diving is in the 65-85-foot range. Deep but not too deep, with visibility over 100'.

Yeah, perfect conditions, you don't always get those. But in July, it's pretty possible with those big lazy high pressure systems over the Gulf.

I don't see why a competent and well-taught beginner with good buddies couldn't use a trip like this to get the "experience, ie more dives" you rightly mention. Worked for me.

Well, I think,without any knowledge, if you are going to the deep dive,then it might be dangerous for you. So, first get some information regarding this, then go to the deep dive. I have a simple tip for you, I think, you should approach to the shark diving, it is a quite simple and more interesting. If you get any kind of difficulties with it, you will get help from the experts who are available all the times.If you become good in shark diving, then you can approach to deep dive in a very easy way and you won't face any kind of difficulties.

EloiseNavarro, are you even a real diver? You seem to post about shark diving on every thread. It's bizarre.

Anyway, good look to you, SheilaATX. I also did my AOW deep dive in a cold, dark, murky lake, and found the deep dive nerve wracking. My next few deep dives were in clear Caribbean water, and they were much easier. For me, diving to 90' in clear warm water is still easier than diving to 50' in cold murky water. Waves, surge, and current under water take some getting used to, especially when you're trying to stay close to a reef without touching it, so any chance you can get to gain some experience with those before your trip will serve you well.

Turns out I was psyching myself out over nothing. Ditched the hood so my mask wasn't leaky and no problems, just chilly! Thanks for all your input! Mission completed!

Nice Job Sheila...you can now build upon this success with future diving successes.

Have a great trip and share what you see with others :)

---------- Post added May 19th, 2014 at 02:56 AM ----------

Well, I think,without any knowledge, if you are going to the deep dive,then it might be dangerous for you. So, first get some information regarding this, then go to the deep dive. I have a simple tip for you, I think, you should approach to the shark diving, it is a quite simple and more interesting. If you get any kind of difficulties with it, you will get help from the experts who are available all the times.If you become good in shark diving, then you can approach to deep dive in a very easy way and you won't face any kind of difficulties.

??? Not really sure what you are trying to say.

I rarely plan to dived with sharks; I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I have actually dived with them on my terms and all of them have been in aquariums.

On the other hand, when THEY (the sharks in their natural and wild environments) CHOOSE to swim (dive) with me it is like a blessing from God. They are truly a special animal and the experience is truly a special dive for me and I treasure each and everyone.

I'm a new diver - OW last summer. This year I started AOW training to prepared for a dive trip coming up. Everything had gone great, but when it was time for my deep dive checkout the following day, I panicked. My mask felt too leaky, the dry air was making me uncomfortable, and the poor visibility scared me. I made it to only 40 ft before I was hyperventilating and abandoned the dive. I really need this certification for my upcoming trip, and need advice. I'll be attempting another deep dive this weekend and am already nervous. Advice please!

Dear ShilaATX,

Don't lose heart . . . it is critical and essential that you learn to trust your equipment. Typically, all regulators designed after the 1980's fail or default in the "free flow" venue. I.e. they will continue to deliver air . . .

Also, it is important to dive with a good buddy that you completely trust and have confidence in. Having someone who regularly checks you, looks you in the eye, et al is key and essential.

Finally, practice your breathing and learn some "self calming/relaxing" techniques. Being relaxed, mitigating anxiety, etc. will make an INCREDIBLE differnce in your air consumption.

Have Fun!

CHMTKlein

The trip planned requires AOW. I was selected from a pool of teachers to participate in a workshop in the Gulf of Mexico Flower Gardens and its an opportunity I can't pass up. I am comfortable at 50 - 60 feet, but just freaked out. Also - my training has been in a lake with little visibility (only a few feet). Is there anything I can do to make myself more comfortable?

It is easy, if you have time enough.
50-60 feet OK?
Than dive to 60 feet and go a bit down to 65 feet and up again to 60...down to 65 again if OK maybe to 70 feet, play a bit dive on the back, for me it is wonderful and scary to look up the big wall of water lighted up by the sun.
max out the time and keep it on the boring side.

Next time add 5 feet...OK you'll feel unsecure but go only for short time and than go up again to 65 where you feel save....so slowly go down step by step.
And of course go with someone who you trust. If you think this instructor isn't good for you, than take another one. As relative new diver I went to 140 feet to see a wrack. I was nervous before. But the organization was so military like with the plan to follow without delay so I forgot about my nervousness. Than the wrack was so amazing that I didn't think for anything else and than when already up I thought that there is actually no difference in feeling between 60 and 140 feet....

I used to work dive charters in Lake Erie, Cleveland area. We often had divers very nervous because viz was 10' or less. One thing that most did not like was the affect that the particulate had on their psych. Every where you look on the way down was particulate. It's like being in the center of a sphere and the view is the same in every direction. I would tell them to look at the down line. It was something to look at. When you get to the wreck, enjoy it no matter what the viz. if you don't feel like straying too far from the tie in , don't. Let yourself become more comfortable with each dive. STAY WITH YOUR BUDDY. Learn to do controlled free ascents with no vertical visual reference. Learn how to stop and slow down with your BCD. In poor viz particulate is always visible. Learn to focus on it to judge vertical speed. If particulate looks like it's going down, you're going up. If particulate looks like it's going up you're going down. If it's stationary, so are you.
In excellent viz you will most likely feel much better.

I'm a new diver - OW last summer. This year I started AOW training to prepared for a dive trip coming up. Everything had gone great, but when it was time for my deep dive checkout the following day, I panicked. My mask felt too leaky, the dry air was making me uncomfortable, and the poor visibility scared me. I made it to only 40 ft before I was hyperventilating and abandoned the dive. I really need this certification for my upcoming trip, and need advice. I'll be attempting another deep dive this weekend and am already nervous. Advice please!

My advice is to practice....practice...PRACTICE.... Get in the pool and play with your gear over and over and develop the skills and confidence you will need to successfully complete your dive.... As your instructor; I'd offer to spend additional time with you to work on it and do skill-building games... but many won't do that without additional compensation. Good Luck!!

Sheila, the flower gardens is a great dive spot, the conditions you will have will probably be opposite from your current training conditions, the water is probably warmer (not sure where you live now), and the vis is going to be 40 - 100 feet depending on the time of year. the dives you will do should be off the bow line where you can descend slowly, so here is what I suggest, make sure your mask is not tight at the surface - remember pressure is going to suck it in, also you need to breathe slowly and one way to accomplish this is to hum on song while diving. At the lake you train in, you stated poor visibility, I can tell you that lakes - northeast coast and west coast diving strengthen the diver, the cold water and lower vis, but once we get to the warm water dive locations around the globe, we are better divers, but above you have lots of good advice and the best is to get more dives under your belt, we in Northern Cal dive every month in Monterey, if you have the time, try the lake with the float and line, make your dive depth at 60 feet, surface then do another 60 foot dive after the require surface interval, go back in a few days and do it again this time to 80 feet (that is if you have the time), and please calm yourself prior to the dive and stay with your buddy, it's not a race underwater the slower you go the more you will see, pick a reef and hoover and remember your training - ascend slowly - never hold your breathe under water while breathing compressed gas - and don't embarrass your instructor. Good luck on the trip, enjoy and remember you make the call to dive or not, you have that choice - have fun - stay safe

Back
Top Bottom