Panic!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do we have this thread panic ???
And isn't this only the smaller part of the bigger problem of subliminal fear when diving
like in this thread ?

Two examples :
1.) A wreck dive in croatia , depht 38-47 m .
As we approached the wreck, most of the divers became tense. Found a relaxed diver and we became buddies. The guid came and asked us about our qualifications. My buddy was an OWD and I was an OWD. Guide askt me "How many dives ? And I replied "I stopped counting a long time ago, maybe 1000 dives. That was enough for his OK but why do he believed me?
It's easy , we both showed no signs of tense or fear witch are usual with many divers.

2.) Two divers didn't want a second dive because there was some overhead enviroment.
After a dive only with the instructor she said to me "Thank you for that dive ,. This was my first relaxed dive in a long time. You do a lot of dives ? ".
And i said no , not scuba , a littel bit freediving that's itl .
She said " I should do freediving too " .

Goonzodiver has written about the advantages of being a freediver .
Here is an example : my first scubadive in keywords.
Year : 1969
Diver : 16 year old boy
Number of scubadives : zero
buddys : zero
Location : Lake max. depth 20 m , divingplace 17 m , ground soft , visiability over ground zero
Gear : wetsuit , mask , fins , 5 l tank tied with rope on back , no jvalve , no spg , pressure unknown
owner said probably very low , compas, depth gauge (readable from approx. 1.5 m above ground)
Job : search a DIY water ski
Freediveexperience : 2 years of very frequent freediving , Estimated 1000 individual freedives
Freedive Skills : static 4' 10'' , dynamic 75 m , max depth over 20 m

The dive :
After about 5 minutes at a depth of 17 m, the air supply stopped abruptly when I had inhaled about 1/3.
I sat down on the bottom and laid over. First, the search was over, second, either the tank was empty or there was a failure. In both cases I unfortunately had to surface, which I did slowly until I reached 8m depth. I did not exhale because my lungs were now only 1/2, so no reason to exhale and lose buoyancy.
Well, if the tank at 2.7 bar no longer gave any air, it had to be able to give away 0.9*5 l = 4.5 liters of air at 1.8 bar. I tried to breathe in carefully. ok that worked and I immediately stopped so that the pressure in the tank would always stay above the ambient pressure. I surfaced slowly, exhaling and told the good man his bottle is empty now . He was a little relieved that I emerged safe .

The man only gave me his scuba because i didn't show any signs of fear, and I could only do that because I had no fear and only because I had no fear that was a safe dive in my freedive comfort zone.
That's what freediving can do for you .

The man only gave me his scuba because i didn't show any signs of fear, and I could only do that because I had no fear and only because I had no fear that was a safe dive in my freedive comfort zone.
That's what freediving can do for you .
Great story but if a person has no fear of scuba or freediving I don't want you in my scuba group or as a buddy.

Even before I started scuba diving I knew of a very loved person of a sailing group I interacted with. He died of shallow water blackout while freediving after sailing a boat to the Bahamas and living the dream. Lots of trauma for his loved ones.

shallow water blackout
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Shallow water blackout can happen very easily if you are unaware of the effects of hyperventilation. When spearfishing I used to wear a 10-12 Lb weightbelt. When surfacing I would tilt my head towards the surface to help maintain by bearings and concentration. I would also keep one hand on the quick-release buckle of my weightbelt, ready to ditch at the first sign of trouble. I had several friends spearfishing in close proximity to each other at all times; and a person topside who would ensure that the group did not wander too far apart when tracking a fish.

Back
Top Bottom