Panama City Beach Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
...At least some of us are nearly bald intentionally :wink:
The club is pretty big - there are those who embrace the change and those that drag their feet but about 50% will be in the unintentional category to one extent or another.

THE FORCE BE WITH US !!!!!!

SeaYoda:
50% will be in the unintentional category to one extent or another.

...and I'm thinking someone should bring a set of clippers incase we have a diver or two who wants to be different, with all that hair and stuff. Assimilate them while they sleep with a shaved stripe down thier scalp to persuade them to take the rest off :D

so then based on the tide tables, it appears high tide is around 10:30ish? i assume you dive the jetties at high tide? only reason i ask is that might mean an extra hour of sleep :wink: .

i'm going to rent 2 tanks, is the plan to dive 2?

i think i'm getting a cold, that'd be about my luck :freak:

Maybe someone else can chime up on the lay of the land of the jetties since I have only dove them a few times (during my cert dives). I only went down about 45-50' on them.

What you can plan to expect to see, you can see just about anything from the gulf. I saw a bunch of arrow crabs, frogfish, toadfish, jawfish, gobies, angelfish, tons of corals. It's a rather nice dive.

As for Tanks: I plan on making 2 dives Sat Morning, 1 or 2 night dives, 2 dives Sun. Morning, then go to morrisons for a nice afternoon dive (if morrison's cooperates with v iz). I'm hoping for 6 dives. I am just bringing two tanks myself and will be running for fills down the road.

I hope you aren't getting a cold, start pumping that guaffenesin and such now! :)

Matt

If one looks very, very carefully into the crevices, one can occasionally find a small octopus.

Watch out for the current, guys!!! It comes up really, really quickly.

Corigan has the basic "lay of the land". I'll give a few more points as well to supplement the info.

There are two "pools" of water at the Jetties. As you are walking toward it on the board walk, you will see the kiddie pool on the left, a beach area, and then the gulf pool on the right. The kiddie pool is a semi-enclosed area that is fairly shallow. What most divers do is enter the kiddie pool and snorkle or walk out to a break in the rocks that allows you to enter the "pass". The "pass" is simply the intrance/exit to the intercoastal waterway. Here the depth drops off to about 20' as soon as you cross the rocks. You can then take a sharp right (south heading) and follow the jetties down all the way to where they end which is about a 50' max depth. This will let you swim against the tide so you can drift on the way back in (north heading).

You can also start your dive on the gulf side pool (right side), but I find it is more enjoyable to start on the kiddie pool side and then cross over the rocks as the dive lasts longer since you don't reach the end of the jetties quite so fast. I have at times not even made it to the end of the jetties starting on the kiddie pool side as it is a pretty long dive out there.

Everytime I am out there I see grouper, occasional schools of amberjack, rays, purple sea whips, coral, gobies, damsels, angel fish (beautiful queen angels out there), various cold water coral species, murex shells, urchins, etc...

Be careful where you place you hands on the rocks since there are black spiny urchins everywhere and they will go right through a neoprene glove.

Also, keep an eye on where you surface as there will be fisherman everywhere out there and they don't have a clue as to what a dive flag is.

The Kraken:
Watch out for the current, guys!!! It comes up really, really quickly.

You're not lying. Last time I dove it, it wasn't at the most prime of times, and the surge was pretty heavy. I saw a guy getting churned around pretty heavy in it.

Matt

Corigan:
You're not lying. Last time I dove it, it wasn't at the most prime of times, and the surge was pretty heavy. I saw a guy getting churned around pretty heavy in it.

Matt

i hope it was'nt the same guy who did the warhammer maneuver? :11:

SuPrBuGmAn:
...Assimilate them while they sleep...
To quote more SiFi - "Resistance is futile". :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom