Palm Beach diver loses arm as group hit by boat - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" The fireman used a paddle board to go out with a bag to get the arm," That sounds heroic right there. I'd hate to be the one to retrieve a bloody arm before sea life could have their way. It sounds like the fireman was a bystander who voluntarily went into action. “The Coast Guard received a report that a Good Samaritan had located a severed arm. A Coast Guard member transferred it to the boat crew and it was transferred to the shore.” I do hope that surgeons were able to reattach it with some degree of use possible.

I have to wonder what this was about? "According to Marulli, FBI agents responded to the scene."

" The fireman used a paddle board to go out with a bag to get the arm," That sounds heroic right there. I'd hate to be the one to retrieve a bloody arm before sea life could have their way. It sounds like the fireman was a bystander who voluntarily went into action. “The Coast Guard received a report that a Good Samaritan had located a severed arm. A Coast Guard member transferred it to the boat crew and it was transferred to the shore.” I do hope that surgeons were able to reattach it with some degree of use possible.

I have to wonder what this was about? "According to Marulli, FBI agents responded to the scene."

I'm guessing that the FBI were nearby because the reports say that the site of the accident is near to President Trump's Florida home. The News agencies report that the First Family were in Florida for the Thanksgiving Holiday week - although the President left early to visit Afghanistan.

When I heard that Coast Guard and FBI were nearby I had a disturbing thought.

Caution! This is totally speculation on my part and it is not based on any factual information, but I immediately thought of Princess Diana's death in a car crash while they were being chased by Paparazzi on motorcycles.

I am hoping that this terrible Florida accident wasn't caused by photographers in a boat trying to evade the guards to catch a photo of the First Lady in a bikini, but I imagine that a lot of boats were out on the water yesterday enjoying the holiday, and so this may have nothing at all to do with the Trump family.

It just sounded like the authorities, including Federal Authorities, were on the scene very quickly, but it may have been coincidence.

There should a "no wake" zone 200 ft out from shore. Many lakes in Central Florida have this and it keeps the PWCs and skiers away from the swimmers.

There should a "no wake" zone 200 ft out from shore. Many lakes in Central Florida have this and it keeps the PWCs and skiers away from the swimmers.
Personal watercraft? Nice idea, but difficult to mark off of a beach in the ocean. I don't think I have ever noticed one.

Call me crazy, I don't want to be diving near pleasure boats, where I/we are the only divers in the water.

Diving off of Jupiter last week, one of our groups surfacing had a boat buzz by within 40ft of their SMB. The boat had spears onboard, so presumably knew what the orange cylindrical floaty thing was o_O

so presumably knew what the orange cylindrical floaty thing was
Sausages are not dive flags and have no legal standing in State waters. They don't fulfill the requirements of Florida's Flag Law, but I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for using one.

Sausages are not dive flags and have no legal standing in State waters. They don't fulfill the requirements of Florida's Flag Law, but I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for using one.

True. The DM was pulling a flag, but a couple divers had to ascend early

Edit: Depending on current, it's possible they were within 300ft of the DM's or the dive boats flag. I didn't see it, was still down enjoying the reefs:cool: After crazy SFL fall weather, it was a week of great dives

We have these buoys fifty or sixty yards offshore here off Pompano Beach, marking a "vessel exclusion zone". It would be rare to see a boat inside of them. Dive/snorkel flags look pretty small from a boat. I know to look for them and can still get pretty close before spotting them. If you do end up inside of a hundred yards of one, then you want to slow way down.
vessel exclusion zone.JPG

The news articles can't agree on whether he was snorkeling or diving. His name is Carter Viss, 25, of Palm Beach, currently “critical condition yet stable.”

Excerpting from: Diver who lost arm after boat ran him over is ‘critical but stable,’ mom says
Daniel Stanton, 30, of Palm Beach, was operating a 2008 36-foot Yellowfin vessel, which was heading southbound in the Atlantic Ocean near the Breakers Hotel, the FWC said.

After seeing a dive flag and divers in the distance, the boat immediately throttled down, but it struck Viss as it was decelerating, according to FWC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom