Palm Beach diver loses arm as group hit by boat - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't even know there were any mooring buoys, I've never seen any https://floridadep.gov/sites/default/files/SE-Florida-Mooring-Buoy-Brochure-2016.pdf I see that there are a few in the area of this incident

upload_2020-10-21_16-12-7.png

Sorry for the confusion. The accident happened a few hundred yards north of the breakers and inshore of the mooring buoys.

Thanks for the clarification.

As a boater, I am constantly amazed at the irresponsible behavior I have witnesses. And unfortunately a good part of it has nothing to do with alcohol.

There are a few reefs that run north to south for many many miles in that area of south Florida in a few different depths. The closest to shore is in about 10 or 15' of water. That one is fairly low in relief & there is not much on it. The first really big one is in 90'-120' of water & seems to be the one that is most heavily used by the cattle boats. There is another out around 250' that is mostly used by fishermen, but some tech divers use it as well. There are also patch reefs in the area that are in varying depths. A google earth view shows the locations of the major reefs.

There are a couple of rows of moorings in front of the breakers. They are more or less around 30 feet deep. They have small low patch reefs all around them. As a previous poster stated, they were put there so that local boaters would not drop anchors on the reefs. The area is commonly used for snorkeling. It is also used for scuba, sun bathing, hanging out, grilling, drinking, & fishing.

If you tie up to those moorings, it's a good idea to dive on them & check the hardware. When I found some to have shackles that were worn more than 80% of the way through, I had a hard time finding the proper authorities to report that to. The agency that put them in said that they were not responsible for maintenance. A few months later, I did find a new shackle on a mooring that previously had a bad one.

The agency that put them in said that they were not responsible for maintenance. A few months later, I did find a new shackle on a mooring that previously had a bad one.

Quite possibly a boater / diver who uses the mooring regularly took the matter in their own hands. I have been known to repair gear I have been borrow / use, I look at it as partial payment, especially when the owner is not charging.

Diving off of Jupiter last week, one of our groups surfacing had a boat buzz by within 40ft of their SMB. The boat had spears onboard, so presumably knew what the orange cylindrical floaty thing was o_O
Boaters should get the same treatment that Drunk Drivers get when caught. Man Slaughter is Man Slaughter whether your in a boat or a car. IMHO

“I instructed the boat operator, ‘You need to beach it, but you need to go really slow. And you have to basically turn off the engine,’” Raininger told investigators.

“And I may have repeated myself because I didn’t get a response.” She said Stanton’s father replied, “He knows what he’s doing.”

“‘And I looked at him and I said, ‘Oh really?’”

Raininger was the paddleboarder who applied the tourniquet. I can just imagine the tone in her voice as she said the "Oh really."

State says Palm Beacher was reckless in Thanksgiving boating accident

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom