Palm Beach diver loses arm as group hit by boat - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they were snorkeling, from shore, they are going to be less than ideal targets to pick up. The boaters should definitely steer clear, but if you are the little unmarked fish in the pond, be very careful. When snorkeling in my home area on lakes, I am extremely vigilant for other boats.

@PBcatfish Here's another great link from FWC:

boaters-guide.JPG

The Florida's Boater Guide
Click to open and learn!

Boat Florida Course

Swimmers are "non-powered" in my eyes and I believe the law's eyes too.

This report identifies the divers as snorkelers and identifies the location as root trail. - Snorkeler run over by boat and loses arm off Palm Beach Root Trail is a road on Palm Beach Island that is roughly 2 miles south of Lake Worth Inlet & just north of the Flagler bridge on the ICW. This is in conflict with the earlier report that the location was at the north end of Palm Beach Island

This report also references Root Trail - Diver Loses Arm After Boat Accident in Palm Beach County

Someone who posted a comment below the following you tube video link claims to have been on site 15 minutes after the diver was taken by EMTs. The persons states that a pile of dive gear including a flag was on the beach at that time.

If Root Trail is the correct location, then the spot would be indicated by the red arrow on this image -

Attachments

• RootTrailDiveAccidentCrop.jpg
    RootTrailDiveAccidentCrop.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 107
This report identifies the divers as snorkelers and identifies the location as root trail. - Snorkeler run over by boat and loses arm off Palm Beach Root Trail is a road on Palm Beach Island that is roughly 2 miles south of Lake Worth Inlet & just north of the Flagler bridge on the ICW. This is in conflict with the earlier report that the location was at the north end of Palm Beach Island

This report also references Root Trail - Diver Loses Arm After Boat Accident in Palm Beach County

Someone who posted a comment below the following you tube video link claims to have been on site 15 minutes after the diver was taken by EMTs. The persons states that a pile of dive gear including a flag was on the beach at that time.

Thanks, here are the comments:

joe budi10 hours ago
Divers had dive flag up?

Ashley Rodgers2 hours ago
I was at this exact location about 15 minutes after the diver was taken by EMT. The group had a diving flag and all of their equipment piled up on the beach when I walked up. Many onlookers were still distraught and witnesses were still giving statements. It seems that they did have their flag up.

The Coast Guard was nearby because they are patrolling the President's residence in the area:

U.S. Coast Guard Announcement Enforcement Security Zones Near Palm Mar-a-Lago Resort in Palm Beach |

"...A witness, Samantha Marulli, told WPTV she was on the beach when she saw numerous divers in the water and a boat approach.

'A boat came along and went right over them. When they pulled him out of the water, he didn't have an arm. The fireman used a paddle board to go out with a bag to get the arm," Marulli told the station.'..."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article237877204.html

In this case, I agree with you. But "the boat is always wrong" is not 100% true.

An example would be a diver swimming in the middle of a designated shipping/boating inlet channel (Which has happened before). Really each accident need to be looked at individually..

I said exactly the same thing when divers were doing training dives and ascents next to the boat channel. The boat got the ticket, not the divers.

If that wasn’t the divers’ fault, I can’t imagine a worse scenario.

IME lots of boaters travel and high speed ridiculously close to shore, well within that a moderately strong swimmer can get to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom