Palancar Pier Access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our goal is a 2 hour surface interval so as to be mostly clean for a long second dive. Sitting on a rocking boat for two hours was never in the cards for us. That is why we have always anchored on a beach.

Dave

Dave, are you not going to playa palancar anymore?
Was there some incident recently?

A few weeks ago, I was at a bar in town when I recognized another customer who was our waiter at PP earlier in the day while diving with aldora. He also recognized me and started joking about what lousy tippers the divers are. At first it was amusing, but after a while it got annoying. I didn't eat anything that day and left no tip. He seemed to think we should tip for the use of the table.

Maybe he will miss the aldora divers, maybe not.Some tips are better than no tips.

Dave, are you not going to playa palancar anymore?
Was there some incident recently?

A few weeks ago, I was at a bar in town when I recognized another customer who was our waiter at PP earlier in the day while diving with aldora. He also recognized me and started joking about what lousy tippers the divers are. At first it was amusing, but after a while it got annoying. I didn't eat anything that day and left no tip. He seemed to think we should tip for the use of the table.

Maybe he will miss the aldora divers, maybe not.Some tips are better than no tips.

With all due respect - if you're going to sit at one of their tables and not order anything I don't blame them. We either anchor at the beach or use the pier but remind our divers that the beach is free - but if they wish to use any of the beach club's facilities (bathrooms, chairs, tables, etc) that at least a small purchase is appropriate and requested so that we don't lose our privledges. We are not ENTITLED as divers to have free use of anyone's private facilities - and although a beach club is a business - they are not there to cater to "us" for free.

Others at the table ate and tipped.
I did not bring my own food or beverages in.
I assumed aldora had an arrangement with the club to bring their divers there since we anchored at their facility, not down the beach on someone else's property.
I always tip when I order something.
The waiter was joking at first, but It got old fast and calling someone he doesn't know "cheap" is not a good way to make friends.

Dear Lionfish-eater

Yes, we bring a lot of divers to that place and many of our divers do not eat or drink there…but most do and the business owner does not care about it. It sounds like you just ran into a jerk of a waiter.

And yes, for the time being we will still be going to Playa Palancar as it is the least obnoxious place for our SI. If and when we can develop a viable alternative at the pier ( and I hope we do soon) we will probably go there and do it the "Old Cozumel" way with no cruise ship passengers in sight. Or we can still go to Playa Palancar if the divers choose to do so.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Playa Palancar sure has gotten busy the last few years. I did use to love a bowl of seafood soup on the SI there in winter or spring months to warm up a bit.

Playa Palancar sure has gotten busy the last few years. I did use to love a bowl of seafood soup on the SI there in winter or spring months to warm up a bit.
Or last Tuesday! :D

I have to say, though, that other than the continuing wind the weather here since the Norte has been spectacular.

Or last Tuesday! :D.
So...... are BA and the other ops that traditionaly used the old Palancar Pier now using the new and improved Palancar Pier or have they dispersed to other areas such as Playa Palancar?

Until the Palancar Pier is upgraded, and we can have some basic amenities for our divers there, we will still focus our anchoring at the Beach Club. But a Divers Only place, like the old Cozumel is really exciting and I really hope it can happen.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom