Paintstripping/refinishing tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soda blasting will NOT remove galvinization fron steel wether hot dipped or ele. pl. and is the preferred method for removing contamanation (active rust) from pitting. there is little you can do otherwise to determine how deep the pitting really is. They do, however need to be hydro'd again before placing into service, and only an actual "hands on" inspection will tell the truth. Although the pictures do look pretty bad, I would not condemn them from a computer screen picture. I would clean the worst of the two first, then have it properly inspected. And go from there. Best of luck.

derwoodwithasherwood:
I have a (Sherwood branded) PST steel tank with a factory applied paint. I touched up the paint where they stamped it after the hydro (my theory being that the galv coating took a beating there). The LDS said that technically, it could not pass a visual inspection if painted because the paint might be hiding rust -- anyone else ever have a problem getting a VIP after touching up the paint on a steel tank?

How about clear nail polish?

Dom

Tamas- I also agree with CapeFear. Not having the tanks in front of me and only going on the pictures I definitely would not pass the one tank. I am a PSI certified cylinder inspector and would echo every thing CapeFear said. Do not take the risk of people being killed or maimed by filling this tank. I am also familiar with POR-15. It is used by auto body repair shops to neutralize and cover badly rusted metal. POR stands for "Paint Over Rust".. If this scuba cylinder was a car I would say use it. Unfortunately it is a time bomb. Don't trust it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom