Stripped al80's finish underneath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

211ratsbud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Any one ever stripped old luxfer and have them look like this?

They were factory painted still with luxfer stickers and I applied paint stripper. They have wire wheel marks from production the best I can tell. 2 years separate original date of hydro and many thousands of miles on their sourcing to me. Again never refinished. Both same factory color.

Did they paint the blems?
20230902_165907.jpg

Looks like they slid a grinder over them to clean up some outies or rough spots for paint.
No big deal.
I agree. Doesn't even feel like grinder, the surface profile is undetectable to a fingernail. Like a really light wire brush.

I note the "scratched" areas are the same color and brightness as the other tank with the bulk of the finish slightly darkened. Probably bare metal on those marks.

Can't tell much from the photo though, but if it was under original paint, probably pre-paint finish cleanup at factory? I'd scrub it down with green scotchbrite pad and a half-strength white vinegar solution and see how it comes out or the other metal surface cleans up. Without seeing it up close and personal, if there's not scoring or wire wheel gouges, my initial thoughts would be likely OK. I bet it will clean up nicely with the scotch brite though. Those pads will polish up bare Aluminum - if "brushed" finish, it will tend to even out the brush marks if you rub long enough andit will get shiny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom