Paintstripping/refinishing tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petersharp

Registered
Reaction score
Have read some of the many threads on stripping of tanks. I do sodablasting which is non-damaging in the way that other media blasting can be due to heat build up or material removal. It works on most paint types on steel and aluminum. It is so controllable that I can take the paint off a drinks can without damaging the surface.

Tomorrow I am doing a sample for a major manufacturer, and it will be returned to them for inspection so there can be no doubts as to damage. I'll post the results here when I get them, and am confident that this will be an ideal solution for the many of you out there that want their tanks stripped. Watch this space!

Pete

I think blasting got a bad rap because people don't use the right media but I'll bet soda, walnut shells and some of the newer media won't cause a problem. I've chem stripped them in the past with no problems.

Scott

Scottri:
I think blasting got a bad rap because people don't use the right media but I'll bet soda, walnut shells and some of the newer media won't cause a problem. I've chem stripped them in the past with no problems.

Scott

I blasted 2 tanks yesterday, albeit they weren't scuba tanks but were aluminum so are comparable. The paint came off well, even on the smaller tank which had a layer of paint then a clear powdercoat on top. There were no marks on the surface so I'm confident that the manufacturer will like the result. I'll find out in the next week or so.

Pete

3M also sells surface conditioning abrasives that will strip paint with zero removal of base metal. These are the abrasives used to polish marine stainless and aluminum. I work for 3M in Florida. We also do a demonstration in which we remove the paint from a soda can without damaging the aluminum. We also have abrasives that can remove one layer of paint and leave the layer below undamaged.

ScubaMarine:
3M also sells surface conditioning abrasives that will strip paint with zero removal of base metal. These are the abrasives used to polish marine stainless and aluminum. I work for 3M in Florida. We also do a demonstration in which we remove the paint from a soda can without damaging the aluminum. We also have abrasives that can remove one layer of paint and leave the layer below undamaged.
I stripped a lot of aluminum tanks with the 3M Safest Stripper - great stuff! You just gotta be patient.

Tom Winters:
I stripped a lot of aluminum tanks with the 3M Safest Stripper - great stuff! You just gotta be patient.

It took me about 10 mins to strip one tank, less if I were to set myself up properly for this work. I envisage charging about $20-$30 per tank depending on what condition the paint is in. Chemical stripper starts at about $10, if it were me I'd hand the tank over to someone else, pay the extra few bucks and let them get their hands dirty!

Pete

tx.lakerats:
keep us posted... I'd be interested in this...

I have spoken to my contact today and, as predicted, he says that the paint stripping that I did on the tank was very good, with no damage to the tank. I was pleased with this as it seems that lots of different methods have been tried but without the results I have had. I will get a letter from the manufacturer to this effect so anyone that questions the process can be in doubt.

Anyone who is interested in the service can contact me via my website, www.elitesodablasting.com or phone on 480 710 7969.

Pete

I have been soda stripping tanks for years,and at 125 lbs. can go through an average tank in about 6 min. The beauty in soda, is that there is little heat if done right, no damage, and the surface is ready to refinish as soon as its done. It also super dries the metal so paint seems to adhere better. If you don't have a regular blast set up, you can get a portable blaster from sears for about $100.00 and if you have an air compressor to feed it, youre all set to go.

Back
Top Bottom