Painting steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to get it powder coated - it's waaay better than paint.

I have a VERY hard time carrying a tank because of my rheumatoid and it's weight. My instructor advice me to buy a hp steel 80's. They are not very good looking. Can they be painted and how???:confused:

Believe it or not the timeless finish of seasoned hot dipped galvanized steel is a thing of beauty. Durable and low maintenance, it is your friend. Trust me that no one that knows gear will think less of you for not having a colorful cylinder.

Color is fleeting but galvanized it almost forever.

Above all don't even thing about applying a finish, no good can come from that.

Pete

From the Luxfer site: Please note that different aluminum alloys have different maximum-temperature specifications; for example, for Luxfer 6061-alloy (L6X®) cylinders, the maximum metal temperature must not exceed 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Exposure times at various temperatures vary according to alloy. Please contact Luxfer for time/temperature information about the particular cylinder and alloy that you intend to repaint using powder coatings.

That's for aluminum. I find it hard to believe that a steel cylinder can't be heated to 500F - the absolute max for powder coatings. I'll look into that and post what I find.

From the Faber site:
In the case of HDG, (Hot Dip Galvanizing) taking into account the large number of cylinders manufactured by Faber, would imply a considerable negative impact on the environment. In addition, the temperature at which the HDG is undertaken is quite high (around 450°C) and could affect the final properties of the steel cylinders (it is worth noting that most periodic inspection and test documents limit temperature of steel cylinders to around 350°C during all parts of the retest cycle).

HDG has also been known to cause an embrittlement of the steel material, due to the evolution of hydrogen during the initial pickling stage of the overall HDG process with the hydrogen getting absorbed into the steel.
On a separate note, when it comes to surface finish, our studies have shown that the performance of the top coat is not acceptable when applied on HDG treated cylinders. This is often related to the criticality of surface preparation when a top coat paint is applied.

Thus after careful deliberation of other available coating processes, Faber has decided not to adopt the HDG process and has instead optimized its production cycle involving hot zinc spraying coupled with a primer + top coat of paint, which gives the best trade-off between corrosion resistance and an attractive appearance

Note that the max limit of the steel cylinders in testing is 350C (662F) which is way below the temp experienced in powder coating.

Thus - I still say that powder coating is an acceptable method of finishing steel cylinders - the OP's question. Just to be sure I also sent Faber an email asking for their opinion.

Can you still read the hydro and other stamping after a powder coat?

Here is a good paint choice:

acrylexpaints

Last edited:
Have the carbon-fiber wrapped tanks been sold anywhere? I know that Canada says no to them, but I thought they got an OK for diving in the US.

There is the 106CF Luxfer carbon fiber tank but it still has the same weight as an aluminum 80. Interspiro makes a set of double 36CF SCUBA tanks (72CF total) that is very light. They include a clip on weight that makes them neutral. Even with the weight, they are lighter than any other solution of the same air capacity.

See this thread, especially the last 2/3.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/285177-300-bar-tank.html

And here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/286251-carbon-fiber-tanks-3.html

Back
Top Bottom