Painting my Jet fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note about Scuba Goop from another thread -

"Has anyone else purchased "Scuba Goop" from Scuba.com? It is marketed as a unique product for marking your scuba gear, and it works well for that purpose. BUT ... if you look closely, you will see there is another label underneath the "Scuba Goop" label. Soak and rub a little, and you will see the original label: "Scribbles 3D Paint." Sounds like a craft store product, right? I went to Jo Ann Fabrics and asked if they had something called Scribbles 3D Paint. They had a whole rack of it. The exact same product. The difference? "Scuba Goop" costs $5.95. "Scribbles 3D Paint" costs $1.19.

Live and learn. Put "Scuba" on anything [COLOR=#009900 !important]and watch[/COLOR] the price multiply.

Bill"

good to know, thanks for that.

I have never used the stuff myself, but have noticed it in my LDS (and I believe it was a little more than $5.95 there)

See if "Dr Dog" chimes in. Guys in his club are decorating their gear as a fashion statement. Not sure what they are using.

Scuba Goop is also known as 3-D paint, is sold at many arts and crafts stores, and is much cheaper (can you say multi-colored bulk pack) when you don't slap a SCUBA logo on it.

Depending on brand it's a hit and miss when applied to smooth surfaces. Rubber fins, if you get a bit of pitting or ruff up the surface I'm sure it will stick.

I got my yellow jets and I'm loving them!

Painting is futile.

Pete

I would advise using waterproof reflective tape, works well if your buddies are using lights.

Glow in the dark tape (or that scuba-goop stuff) can also work well on night dives in good visibility.
I agree with the tape as I have seen one of my friends put white duct tape onto his Jets, and it worked for visibility.

However, I see this as more of a fashion statement, as your buddies should already be able to see you.
Things happen, and colorful fins might just help reunite a dive team underwater, or so my thoughts go. Bright colors are good and black is bad. Especially if not everyone uses a can light.

On a different post this week I read about Scuba Goop Id Marker 1Oz @ Divers-Supply.com I have never heard of it or tried it before so I don't have an opinion on the stuff. But it might be worth looking into for your needs?

~Michael~

I bought some a while ago and found it to be useless used on rubber, it peels right off.

Put a piece of SOLAS tape in the middle of the fin, folded over the edge, front/back. Replace as needed.

Glow in the dark tape (or that scuba-goop stuff) can also work well on night dives in good visibility.
I agree with the tape as I have seen one of my friends put white duct tape onto his Jets, and it worked for visibility.

Things happen, and colorful fins might just help reunite a dive team underwater, or so my thoughts go. Bright colors are good and black is bad. Especially if not everyone uses a can light.

I took my brother, who just finished his OW & AOW in Phuket, on a three dive trip to more popular Thailand diving than just a training lagoon. We put duct tape on the bottom of our fins for easy recognition. When seven or more dive operators all descend upon a popular dive site together, the duct-taped fins made it a lot easier to keep track of each other in the crowds...thus our stress level was down and our enjoyment level was increased.:yeahbaby:

For Christmas I wrote Santa for a pair of the Hollis F1's with yellow tips...
~Me~:sleigh:

Paint on Flames!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom