paintin' tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've painted steel tanks in the past with no problems. The paint doesn't wear well. I know a guy that has his tanks painted with automotive paint that matches his truck and boat. Looks cool but he is always very fussy about scratching them. You can not expose them to heat during the painting process.

You can also use a product called Dura-Coat. It is designed for firearm refinishing and does not require heat to cure. You mix it with a hardener before spraying it. You can check the Lauer Weaponry website, they sell the product. The military put it through tests for salt water spray, abrasion, heat, and several other factors important to military firearms. I think it would work very well on tanks. It is almost impossible to scratch, is impervious to salt water and chemicals, and also comes in many colors.

From what I know moisture can become trapped between the paint/decal and the steel causing rust. You might look into aluminum-they come in colors and are much lighter

rapidiver:
From what I know moisture can become trapped between the paint/decal and the steel causing rust. You might look into aluminum-they come in colors and are much lighter
A person wearing a steel 80 will weigh less on land than a person carrying an aluminum 80, assuming both are weighted properly.

As has been mentioned, if you get a Faber or Worthington Cyl. it will be white and you can use paint to accent it with, or use vinyl stickers. You can also use a tank cover that slips on (no glue) and is held in place by a clear shrinkwrap tube ... http://www.scubahides.com/
Ether way, you will have to remove the stickers/cover each year for the tank to be inspected

DB

dirthead:
You can also use a product called Dura-Coat. It is designed for firearm refinishing and does not require heat to cure. You mix it with a hardener before spraying it. You can check the Lauer Weaponry website, they sell the product. The military put it through tests for salt water spray, abrasion, heat, and several other factors important to military firearms. I think it would work very well on tanks. It is almost impossible to scratch, is impervious to salt water and chemicals, and also comes in many colors.
Not to hijack the thread, but I've used dura coat on a few weapons and the stuff is great. You could literally leave the gun in salt water for a few days and the stuff coated wouldn't show a lick of rust

...but has anyone ever used it on a tank. If it works then I'd think it would be great rust protection.

This color would make the DIR crowd feak...
dcr_55.jpg

FSUDive:
Not to hijack the thread, but I've used dura coat on a few weapons and the stuff is great. You could literally leave the gun in salt water for a few days and the stuff coated wouldn't show a lick of rust

...but has anyone ever used it on a tank. If it works then I'd think it would be great rust protection.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have used it quite a bit and can't imagine any finish for a steel tank being more durable and salt water/corrosion resistant than Dura-coat. I have never heard of anyone using it on a tank, but maybe that's only because there aren't a lot of divers who refinish firearms. :06:

dirthead:
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have used it quite a bit and can't imagine any finish for a steel tank being more durable and salt water/corrosion resistant than Dura-coat. I have never heard of anyone using it on a tank, but maybe that's only because there aren't a lot of divers who refinish firearms. :06:
I've got a couple old j valves that i was going to get rid of but I may try some duracoat on them. They have to get hydros soon, so I'll report back if they pass the test and if they don't kill me on a dive. Then we'll know for sure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom