paintin' tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cecilb63

Contributor
Reaction score
Question:

My kid is getting her cert and when she's ready I'll get her a nice steel tank, maybe a pst 80. But she wants to paint the thing (flowers or whatever)

Any reason why painting isn't a good idea? Anything special I need to know?

I'm not an expert- as long as she doesn't have to heat it up to cure the paint, she'll probably be ok. I think most average paints that you get in a hardware store should be fine, just stay out of the wholesale automotive section.

I believe the PST tanks are hot dipped galvanized; I'm not sure how well paint will stick to the zinc, so if that doesn't work, I would suggest vinyl sheet stickers- she can cut them to make designs, etc.

oh yeah, the special things you need to know is that high heat weakens the tank, especially aluminum, but steel is also susceptible at higher temperatures. that is why you don't want to use heat cured paints like the ones used in the auto industry.

If your'e goin steels, the dive shops will give you hell over a painted tank. It can hide damage (rust) and some shops just refuse them.

The problems are rust, as noted, and the fact that tanks get so banged up a painted tank will look like crap really, really fast.

Stickers are a fine idea :D

Don't let her paint over the DOT #'s. If you only have one LDS in your area, show them the tanks before you paint and let them know what you plan on doing. If they give you the go ahead then by all means. Good luck, and let us know if you run into problems as I wouldn't mind doing the same. Sid

jonnythan:
The problems are rust, as noted, and the fact that tanks get so banged up a painted tank will look like crap really, really fast.

Stickers are a fine idea :D

Correct again,, I forgot about that. Paint will crap up at light speed. Another option are tank covers, or sleeves. They come in a bunch of colors and pictures, and are probably pretty tough. Check out any of the internet diveshops, and you will find them for not a lot of $, And congratulations to the new diver!

cecilb63:
Question:

My kid is getting her cert and when she's ready I'll get her a nice steel tank, maybe a pst 80. But she wants to paint the thing (flowers or whatever)

The E series cylinders come with a big logo sticker so it can't be too much of a sin. Maybe some of those 1960s retro daisys would look cute.

On the other hand I just removed my logo stickers cause they were getting beat up after about 30 dives each.

Paint is evil, just look at the painted ones hanging around in the LDS.

Congratulationon having an offspring join you in the sport. The E7-80 would be an awesome selection. We like our 4. Check Johnsons in Portland they had them going for $205. this summer.

Pete

Please see the following all-inclusive note on painting, stripping and dealing with rust on steel cylinders:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=7445

Please also use the search function before establishing a new topic.

Roak

cecilb63:
Question:

Not a problem. Make sure you use a cylinder like the Faber or Worthington. These are already triple coated with spray galvanize, epoxy paint and then polyurethane. This base will allow her to paint whatever she likes on the cylinder and it will not have any effect on the finish. She can make stencils and spray on top of these finishes without any problems.

The key is to use the white base as the major part of the design and have her accent the cylinder. She can use any number of paints from Krylon or Rustoleum. Whatever you do make sure you do not HEAT dry the paint with a temperature greater than 220f.

Painting an uncoated cylinder will not give it a complete finish and can cause undetected rusting later on.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom