paint stripping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for reference: Under the paint, it'll probably be a semi-brushed finish, with swirls and such instead of a straight brush pattern, so you probably won't have to do anything to the finish unless you want to.

But the problem with aluminum is in the unsealed state, it oxidizes. That's why I was wondering about the ano. It seals the finish, and toughens it against abrasives.

J

loki00:
But the problem with aluminum is in the unsealed state, it oxidizes. That's why I was wondering about the ano. It seals the finish, and toughens it against abrasives.

J
Anodizing is outside my area of expertise so I can't be of much help. It seems that, once upon a time, tanks with dyed anodized finishes could be purchased but I haven't seen them in ages (and I do visuals on maybe 1000 tanks a year), so there may have been a problem (as there was with the experiments linings, etc.) You might try contacting Luxfer or Catalina and see what they have to say about the process...or FredT on this board - more or less the resident guru when it comes to things made out of metal.

Let us know what information you dig up - it's a good topic.

Buy some JASCO PAINT STRIPPER at Home Depot or any other hardware supply. Outdoors, apply the stipper with an old/cheap brush and place some newspaper down to protect the surface (deck, garage, etc). WEAR DISPOSABLE RUBBER GLOVES. Apply it IN ONE DIRECTION, do not "paint" back and forth. Let it sit a few minutes and then you can wipe or pick the paint off. It will bubble and become elastic like. Apply additional coats as needed. It took about 20 minutes to completely clean my tank. This is the same stuff my LDS uses.

As far as your inspection sticker goes, I showed the shop my tank pior to stripping it and they gave me a new sticker upon bringing them the old one I removed.

Oxidizing isn't a problem on the outside of aluminum tanks, it's a self-arresting process, and without paint on it it's even less likely to pit (pits are what get tanks condemned). No anodizing or anything at all needed.

teknitroxdiver:
Oxidizing isn't a problem on the outside of aluminum tanks, it's a self-arresting process, and without paint on it it's even less likely to pit (pits are what get tanks condemned). No anodizing or anything at all needed.

So to get this straight, after stripping an aluminum tank, there is no need to refinish? I like the "clear" and "shot-blast" look anyway.

thanks for the info tom

Personally, unless you have easy access to a shop, I'd dump the tank. With a shop, I'd finish the strip job, shot blast for appearance, have the tank hydro-tested and call it a day. Nothing wrong with an aluminum colored tank.

Sound advice..........

Better safe than "Really Sorry"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom