Pain in right eye-ball ?!!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bump, go to the Opthalmologist, s/he can see if any damage was done. EENT is a good choice as well. Don't need Docs to make that call.

I won't repeat what the others have already said, however I will say something more general.

If something (pretty much anything) hurts, "doesn't feel right", or if you're not comfortable with the conditions, before or during the dive, abort the dive.

There's always another dive, unless you decide to "suck it up and dive" in which case, you may permanently damage something, and there may not be "another dive" (or in some cases, another "anything".

If anything hurts or doesn't feel right after the dive, or even if you had an accident that didn't seem to cause any problems (like a runaway ascent), call Divers Alert Network (DAN) immediately, and talk to them about it.

Very few signifcant SCUBA-related injuries go away by themselves, and a number of them that can be treated very sucessfully if caught early, can cause permanent damage if left untreated.

You should also get DAN insurance, since it's not expensive, and your regular health insurance won't cover a lot of SCUBA related injuries.

Terry

oojacoboo:
deflate my BCD, as I begin slowly to descend, I start to feel pressure in my right eye-ball. It felt as if the pain was behind my right eye, my left
Jacob

opiniongirl:
sounds like sinus to me. get it checked out - and don't push it again - you can have major problems.
Good advise, Opiniongirl.

I have pushed a plugged sinus before and suffered for many weeks because of it. The pain will not be gone tomorrow. If it is, you just got lucky. Right now, your sinus is swollen and may be full of blood from ruptured blood vessels. The damage is probably temporary. Lets hope!

Because this was your check-out dive and you don't have a history of good dives in the past, you may have a cavity that never clears and you may be best off not diving. Don't dive before your pain is completely gone and your sinuses are really clear. Someday when your head has recovered and your sinuses are really clear, try again. If the pain starts again, you have a serious problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to see an ENT doctor right away. If you decide to tough it out this time and the problem is repeated, you will have to see a doctor to figure out what's happening.

When this happened to me, I took some Sudafed and suffered for weeks. A more intellegent person would have gone to see a doctor right away.

You may have just had some slight congestion in your sinus. I had a cold once, which was gone, but had the lingering symptoms, you know, and I took some sudafed :), which is not a good idea. Anyways, the first dive was fine, went up, and then did another one, at about 8 ft, I had this pain like my tooth was gonna pop right out of my mouth, it was so intense! I couldn't imagine how you made it to 35ft with such a pain, it must have been killing you! So it could be sinus, I know that part of a sinus cavity reaches close to the eye, but I don't know if it extends right up to the eye. Try diving another time when you know you don't have sinus congestion, and see if you get the pain again.

Tyler

Yea I get pain behind my eyes on the odd occasion.
its is such a sinus squeeze, I get them on decent and ascent.
Usually just bum around for a few minutes and it goes away.

Cheers
Chris

What did you do to diagnose the problem?

When did you do it?

What was the diagnosis and treatment?

What is the prognosis?

Don't keep us in suspense.

BigJetDriver69:
There are two suppositions here, but the most likely one is a sinus blockage, in either the maxillary, or, more likely, the supraorbital sinus. It would not necessarily take an infection to block one, and the pain would manifest itself in the region of the eye.....

Find an EENT in your area, preferably one who is a diver, and have him check your sinuses, and eyes. Let us know what he finds.

P.S.--Although I am a Certified Diver Medic Technician, I am not an M.D. My supposition is not a diagnosis. See your physician before diving again.

:doctor:

This was my recommendation at the time. What did the Doc say? :confused2

I have to admit that I have to restrain myself from saying "take the spoon out of your coffee before you drink it" every time I read the title. :D

NetDoc:
I have to admit that I have to restrain myself from saying "take the spoon out of your coffee before you drink it" every time I read the title. :D

LOL

Good one, Pete!

Although as jet-lagged as I get, I'm lucky if I can recognize a spoon when presented with one! :crafty:

NetDoc:
I have to admit that I have to restrain myself from saying "take the spoon out of your coffee before you drink it" every time I read the title.
04.gif
I LIKE IT - Sometime its difficult to remember the spoon when you are still feeling bad from the night before and the DM is complaining that everyone is on the boat waiting for you . .

Back
Top Bottom