PADI's Newest OW Member

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, @scubadada, @noj3333, and @Graeme Fraser

That's exactly what I said!!

I've got NO excuse not to dive and dive often being in South Florida.

I dove HP 100 Steel tanks on Sunday with ZERO lead, Al 80's on Saturday with 10#

I'm now on the hunt for at least one HP100 =)

Same here. I usually rock 14lbs. I’m looking for a hp100 so I won’t need weights hopefully. Sounds like you had great vis. I was getting 10-15” on my ow dives.

Congrats and welcome to the underwater world. Each dive gets better and better.

Congrats! I just finished my OW check out dives yesterday afternoon too. There was someone in a parachute plane flying over the quarry in Kankakee, Illinois. Not as nice of a sight as the Blue Angel's but still a good feeling to be certified!

Thanks, @Diver below 83, @mcraatz, and @Southside (and congrats back atcha)

@Diver below 83 - I think I would have been good with 8# lead and would have been 4 or 6 if I was just in my 2.5mm suit but I also had on a 3mm shorty just to make sure I wasn't cold at all during training.

It was great with the 100's being fully balanced and no lead on waist straps or belt.

I'm ditching the shorty for next dives as I wasn't cold at all (water temps 77-78 at 30-40ft)

Consensus is that after living in FL a while, I'll get acclimated to the warm and will probably get colder in the water easier over time but I'll prob get a good 5mm (Deep6 probably) once the water starts getting colder this year and then see if I can get by with that and a hood for the remainder of the season until it's back to 2.5mm again.

Congrats!

You are in a great location if you are into diving. You can drive down to the Keys, or you're a quick flight to many Caribbean destinations.

I'm headed down to Marathon on Thursday and I'm going to be doing my first dives after being OW (and AOW) certified back in March. I'm both excited and nervous about it.

As for wetsuits, I did my OW and AOW dives in Grand Cayman where water is warmer than Florida, and I had a full 3m suit and am glad I did. It's not just the first dive you get cold on or feel good on, it's the ones after. We did 3 dives a day and the first day a few people had shorties and were chilly towards the end, and then the next day they rented full body wetsuits and felt a lot better. Of course to each their own and you know your body better than anyone else, but just thought I'd chime in on that.

Thanks @purbeast ! Good luck and have fun on your dive trip. I’m looking to do my AOW and Nitrox as soon as I can to keep me in the water and then I want to join some of the folks here that do shore diving at Blue Heron Bridge as well as other locations.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Thanks, @Compressor !

I have read a lot on here and have learned a ton already. Looking forward to learning a lot more here as well as under water.

Thanks, @Diver below 83, @mcraatz, and @Southside (and congrats back atcha)

@Diver below 83 - I think I would have been good with 8# lead and would have been 4 or 6 if I was just in my 2.5mm suit but I also had on a 3mm shorty just to make sure I wasn't cold at all during training.

It was great with the 100's being fully balanced and no lead on waist straps or belt.

I'm ditching the shorty for next dives as I wasn't cold at all (water temps 77-78 at 30-40ft)

Consensus is that after living in FL a while, I'll get acclimated to the warm and will probably get colder in the water easier over time but I'll prob get a good 5mm (Deep6 probably) once the water starts getting colder this year and then see if I can get by with that and a hood for the remainder of the season until it's back to 2.5mm again.

Most of the year I’m good in boardshorts and a rash guard. I dove in NOV last year without any issues in that. Same in dec in st marteen.

Back
Top Bottom