PADI worldwide acquires PADI europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerveza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Now that PADI europe is in the process of being purchased by PADI worldwide, what will be the differences for PADI europe pro's? will their be any differences? would like to hear your thoughts on it, i for one didnt know that PADI europe was under licences from PADI. below is the email from Hettlingen..

Hettlingen, Switzerland/Rancho Santa Margarita, CA USA 24 November 2008

The Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) board of directors and PADI Europe are proud to announce an agreement to transfer the status and ownership of PADI Europe from a licensee to a wholly owned subsidiary of PADI Worldwide by the end of January 2009.

With this exciting acquisition, PADI Members who are currently serviced by the PADI Europe office can expect to receive high levels of European-centric professional services through the exceptional staff at PADI Europe.

PADI members in Europe will now be backed by the unequalled strength of the PADI Worldwide corporation group currently servicing over 110,000 dive professionals and more than 6,000 dive retailers and resorts in 175 countries and territories worldwide. Ÿe are very proud of the growth of PADI in Europe over the past 25 years under the direction of J?g Beeli and Jack Lavanchy and look forward to building on this impressive legacy into the future said Drew Richardson, President and Chief Operating Officer, of PADI Worldwide.

The new PADI Europe company will benefit from the ability to leverage the combined strengths of the worlds largest diver training, dive resort and dive retailing group and provide increased support and services for members in the region. ŵhis transition is key step towards fueling the growth of the recreational diving market in Europe under the PADI brand noted Brian Cronin, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer for PADI Worldwide.

PADI Europe staff and executives are currently working closely with PADI Worldwide staff to ensure a smooth and successful transition for PADI Europe in 2009.

Well it's possible that materials for "small" European countries will be translated by professionals in the future. That's something that PADI worldwide probably does better than PADI Europe.

It's also possible that instructors in Europe will have to start paying for updates to the instructor manual. I heard that Americans have to pay for their CD's. That would suck if it were true.

One thing I hope stays the same is the service. The lines to PADI Europe are short, they're pleasant to deal with and I've always had quick and professional service from them.... I hope whatever happens that they don't break that.

R..

I don't think that's what I said.

I don't know what other translations of the PADI books are like but the Dutch ones poorly translated. I know this happens because the costs of professional translating is high and if the size of the market isn't big enough then the translations get done on the cheap. I believe the original Dutch translations were done by a native (Swiss) German who speaks Dutch as a foreign language. At least that's what I was told.

A few years ago some Dutch instructors actually spend a lot of their own time helping to fix some of the most glaring mistakes for the newest prints but the fact that PADI approached it like this was pretty amateurish at best. Some of the forms, like the accident/incident form are still completely unreadable. You have to use the English ones to understand what they're even asking. I would expect that other small European countries have this problem too.

So no, I did not say ineffective. I was pointing out that I hope PADI worldwide has better translators working for them. Nothing more, nothing less.

hope that clarifies.

R..

A number of points.

1. It's made to look like an acquisition but apparently there have been breaches of contract by Europe. It may only be a rumor and I have been given no further info to substantiate the claim.
2. There will be no changes in CH during 2009, in principle. The US is going to see how it goes before making any changes. I suspect that in the midterm other countries will be trying to get EUHQ moved to their territory.
3. We are going to have to pay for the CDs but starting 2010.
4. While we are talking about changes, although on another topic, the Wheel is OUT as of December 31st, 2008 and the eRDPML is IN.
5. The standard RDP tables stay, for the time being.
6. The immediate effect of the "takeover" is going to be LESS IDCs, which is probably a good thing (there have been far too many IDC candidates, a huge number of people failing the written exams in Europe) for us as instructors but dampens my "hero to rockstar" career to CD in four easy steps.:joke:

I would expect so. As I said, it is an unconfirmed statement (I only have one source who has said so). If I receive other information either denying it or confirming it, I will post.

I do not expect wide ranging changes as far as being members of PADI is concerned. I also agree with Diver0001, the lines of communication have not only been short but very pleasant and I was surprised by the friendniless and willingness to help.

My French (sorry, Captain Cousteau) is a bit weak nowadays but perhaps it will be a case of "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose".

It's also possible that instructors in Europe will have to start paying for updates to the instructor manual. I heard that Americans have to pay for their CD's. That would suck if it were true.

Updated Instructor Manual CDs are included with renewal of membership & teaching status. Basically, they are new CDs every year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom