DiveSergeant's Return to Grenada / Aquanauts Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aquanauts- This is what happens when an already good dive op ups its game.

Aquanauts / True Blue Bay Resort- April 2018

It had been nine years since we were last here. We loved it back then and had brought back lots of spices for mom, who is quite into cooking. For years we would gather for a meal and she had prepared it with her Grenada spices. Grenada always has been on our ‘must-return-to’ list but there are so many other islands we’ve never been to. But now we had to return. Mom was out of spices. We booked flights and a room and made our plans. Brought mom along this time, too!

Our memory was of a beautiful, friendly island, beautiful, friendly people and a dive shop that was well run and very pleasant to dive with. All true still. Just more so.

The island itself seems cleaner than we remember, with old hurricane damage having been carted away. There are still not that many stray-looking dogs or cats running around, although it is inevitable that it happens. Dollar cabs are still all over so transport is easy. Vincent’s Taxi service handled any transport outside of dollar cab hours or routes and, as before, Mandoo provided the island tours.

For historical reference, here is out 2009 trip report… DiveSergeant's Grenada Trip Report- Part 1

But this is ScubaBoard, after all, so let’s get straight on to the important stuff, diving.

As I type, we are a week and a half into our two week trip. Aquanauts has excelled is all areas. Our dive groups have never been more than six divers. On boats with more than that, they send out extra dive masters and split the groups so you never have to deal with a herd of divers.

I’ll pause here for a special shout out to fellow divers Teresa and Bill from Atlanta, Mary from the UK (who is one hell of a lionfish spotter!) and ‘Tennessee’ from Idaho.

Most dives to date have been around to the west side toward and in the marine park. We’ve only dived the Atlantic side one morning and holy crap the current was screaming and the vis short. But we saw tons of porcupine fish, lobsters, file fish, etc. Couldn’t hardly get any pictures due to the current, though.

The west side is still beautiful diving. Lots of spotted moray, juvie jackknife fish, several frogfish (woo-hooo!) and some fascinating sand critters. We spotted a ‘herd’ of articulated brittle stars on a sand patch just after the dive master, Paul, spotted a quite unusual to see sea robin. You could hear him whooping in his regulator when he spotted it like a kid on Christmas morning.

Lionfish Hunting

I love to dive and see the pretty reef scenes. And the lionfish are hell on the reef. And lionfish taste great. And lionfish breed like mice. And I love to hunt. See where this is going?

Yup. I took the PADI course here at Aquanauts, bought a spear and went to it. The first two days were bountiful. The last two days not so much. Still, we’ve been dining on lionfish several times now as have others with whom I’ve shared the bounty. UK Mary took some to the Dodgy Dock restaurant and they prepared her some proper beer battered lionfish. She said they were delightful. I’ve been rolling them through melted butter, coating them in seasoned breadcrumbs and then sautéing them just until done in a pan of butter and olive oil. Let me pause whilst I dab the drool off my chin….. OK. I’m back…. Tomorrow will hopefully yield more lionfish as I have another recipe to try. Dive Master Isaac said the best way is to gently dry season them with salt and pepper and then cook them in a pan with just enough coconut milk to cover the filets.

As a note about hunting of paramount importance, it is imperative to maintain good buoyancy and good awareness to avoid damaging the reef while attempting to maneuver for a shot. It is very much like photography in this regard and all shooters, whether digital of spear have a responsibility to take great care.

On one dive, we found a 4-5 foot diameter spot of sponge alone in a sand patch with a huge lobster and over a dozen lionfish around it. Dive Master Paul and I went to work. Three lionfish hid under the lobster. The others ended up in our container and fed some grateful folks from around the dive shop. There never seems to be a shortage of people happy to be given some filets.

Notes about Aquanauts…

Three boats, all well maintained. Good briefings including separation procedures and marine conservation issues. Lots of staff on board; captain, several dive masters and often a non-diving assistant. Boats are never crowded and divers are typically split into groups. We saw divisions by skill level for students when they had classes going and at times they divided us up by nitrox vs. air due to bottom times and such. Boarding after dives went smoothly with float lines typically being deployed to grasp onto. We went out today with a boat captain, dive master and three divers. A dive shop from Toronto Canada is here and they had a boat to themselves. Aquanauts could have taken their largest boat and added the three of us to them and still not had a crowded boat, but they decided to make the groups smaller and we liked it very much.

Notes about True Blue Bay and the onsite restaurant, Dodgy Dock

TBB is as we remember. Friendly, polite, professional staff, beautiful grounds and nice rooms.

We were worried about Dodgy Dock as Trip Advisor ratings were spotty with many complaints about poor service. We have not experienced this. Yes, it is the Caribbean and things happen on island time. Sometimes service is casual. Typically, they are fairly prompt about orders and dinner but then they relax about bringing the bill. Feel free to ask fort it if you need, or just kick Back and enjoy the ambience until they bring it.

Pictures

Right. Photos. Ummmmm, photobucket screwed me with no longer allowing third party display so I need to sort out another picture host. Any suggestions?

Coming up after the break…..

Tomorrow, or later perhaps, I’ll add comments on our tours and on land activities, but it is now bedtime.

Cheers!

Aquanauts- This is what happens when an already good dive op ups its game.

Aquanauts / True Blue Bay Resort- April 2018

It had been nine years since we were last here. We loved it back then and had brought back lots of spices for mom, who is quite into cooking. For years we would gather for a meal and she had prepared it with her Grenada spices. Grenada always has been on our ‘must-return-to’ list but there are so many other islands we’ve never been to. But now we had to return. Mom was out of spices. We booked flights and a room and made our plans. Brought mom along this time, too!

Our memory was of a beautiful, friendly island, beautiful, friendly people and a dive shop that was well run and very pleasant to dive with. All true still. Just more so.

The island itself seems cleaner than we remember, with old hurricane damage having been carted away. There are still not that many stray-looking dogs or cats running around, although it is inevitable that it happens. Dollar cabs are still all over so transport is easy. Vincent’s Taxi service handled any transport outside of dollar cab hours or routes and, as before, Mandoo provided the island tours.

For historical reference, here is out 2009 trip report… DiveSergeant's Grenada Trip Report- Part 1

But this is ScubaBoard, after all, so let’s get straight on to the important stuff, diving.

As I type, we are a week and a half into our two week trip. Aquanauts has excelled is all areas. Our dive groups have never been more than six divers. On boats with more than that, they send out extra dive masters and split the groups so you never have to deal with a herd of divers.

I’ll pause here for a special shout out to fellow divers Teresa and Bill from Atlanta, Mary from the UK (who is one hell of a lionfish spotter!) and ‘Tennessee’ from Idaho.

Most dives to date have been around to the west side toward and in the marine park. We’ve only dived the Atlantic side one morning and holy crap the current was screaming and the vis short. But we saw tons of porcupine fish, lobsters, file fish, etc. Couldn’t hardly get any pictures due to the current, though.

The west side is still beautiful diving. Lots of spotted moray, juvie jackknife fish, several frogfish (woo-hooo!) and some fascinating sand critters. We spotted a ‘herd’ of articulated brittle stars on a sand patch just after the dive master, Paul, spotted a quite unusual to see sea robin. You could hear him whooping in his regulator when he spotted it like a kid on Christmas morning.

Lionfish Hunting

I love to dive and see the pretty reef scenes. And the lionfish are hell on the reef. And lionfish taste great. And lionfish breed like mice. And I love to hunt. See where this is going?

Yup. I took the PADI course here at Aquanauts, bought a spear and went to it. The first two days were bountiful. The last two days not so much. Still, we’ve been dining on lionfish several times now as have others with whom I’ve shared the bounty. UK Mary took some to the Dodgy Dock restaurant and they prepared her some proper beer battered lionfish. She said they were delightful. I’ve been rolling them through melted butter, coating them in seasoned breadcrumbs and then sautéing them just until done in a pan of butter and olive oil. Let me pause whilst I dab the drool off my chin….. OK. I’m back…. Tomorrow will hopefully yield more lionfish as I have another recipe to try. Dive Master Isaac said the best way is to gently dry season them with salt and pepper and then cook them in a pan with just enough coconut milk to cover the filets.

As a note about hunting of paramount importance, it is imperative to maintain good buoyancy and good awareness to avoid damaging the reef while attempting to maneuver for a shot. It is very much like photography in this regard and all shooters, whether digital of spear have a responsibility to take great care.

On one dive, we found a 4-5 foot diameter spot of sponge alone in a sand patch with a huge lobster and over a dozen lionfish around it. Dive Master Paul and I went to work. Three lionfish hid under the lobster. The others ended up in our container and fed some grateful folks from around the dive shop. There never seems to be a shortage of people happy to be given some filets.

Notes about Aquanauts…

Three boats, all well maintained. Good briefings including separation procedures and marine conservation issues. Lots of staff on board; captain, several dive masters and often a non-diving assistant. Boats are never crowded and divers are typically split into groups. We saw divisions by skill level for students when they had classes going and at times they divided us up by nitrox vs. air due to bottom times and such. Boarding after dives went smoothly with float lines typically being deployed to grasp onto. We went out today with a boat captain, dive master and three divers. A dive shop from Toronto Canada is here and they had a boat to themselves. Aquanauts could have taken their largest boat and added the three of us to them and still not had a crowded boat, but they decided to make the groups smaller and we liked it very much.

Notes about True Blue Bay and the onsite restaurant, Dodgy Dock

TBB is as we remember. Friendly, polite, professional staff, beautiful grounds and nice rooms.

We were worried about Dodgy Dock as Trip Advisor ratings were spotty with many complaints about poor service. We have not experienced this. Yes, it is the Caribbean and things happen on island time. Sometimes service is casual. Typically, they are fairly prompt about orders and dinner but then they relax about bringing the bill. Feel free to ask fort it if you need, or just kick Back and enjoy the ambience until they bring it.

Pictures

Right. Photos. Ummmmm, photobucket screwed me with no longer allowing third party display so I need to sort out another picture host. Any suggestions?

Coming up after the break…..

Tomorrow, or later perhaps, I’ll add comments on our tours and on land activities, but it is now bedtime.

Cheers!

Very nice! Glad you enjoyed your trip and looking forward to your pictures (although I’m not quite sure how to properly and easily post them either...)! We had ripping currents as well while there but are still very much looking forward to returning one day. Did you have a chance to dive the Bianca C on this visit? It’s deteriorating so quickly that I’m afraid more of the upper decks will collapse before we can dive it again and would love to know how it’s faring... Thanks again for the report!

Nice write up.....are you Amazon prime? Free cloud storage for pix and such.....Google offers similar, but there was a small annual fee. Maybe not so anymore?

Haven't done the Bianca C yet. Went to it once but we elected to head to a reef instead. Might get to it yet, and I'll let you know how it is.

Thanks for the Amazon tip. I'll check it out. I'm also looking at imgur.

More Grenada Notes

Frogs / white noise machine

These damn frogs are everywhere at night. And loud. And incessant. We loaded a webpage that gives white noise options and played surf sounds all night. Ahhhh. A good night’s sleep!

Vincent’s Taxi Service

We arranged with Vincent for a ride to Umbrellas restaurant. It was wayyyyy too noisy and rowdy. Vincent made a few suggestions and we ended up at The Coconut Beach French Creole Restaurant. We had several rides with Vincent and he was polite, professional and happy to share his island knowledge with us.

Coconut Beach French Creole

Curtis was a great waiter and the food was wonderful. Add in the nice beach location and it is a definite two thumbs up. Coconut Beach Restaurant

Bananas Restaurant

It has changed. We loved it last trip but it is more just a bar and gaming room. They do have a kitchen and two tables at which to sit and dine, but it isn’t the same. But, the pizza was still damn good.

Tours

These worked out well. Mom is not a diver so these tours gave her something to do on the island. We joked that Mandoo was our mom-sitter while we were diving.

Mandoo Tours

We went on a tour with Mandoo last trip. This trip we’re doing several. Mom is doing five with him. Mrs DS is doing four of mom’s five and I’ll be along for three of them. As before, Mandoo is engaging to speak with and is knowledgeable and passionate about all things Grenada and environment. We did his north route tour like last trip. We also added his fish Friday trip to Gouyave (an interesting cultural/culinary experience but I might not do it again), his half day Market Tour (mom and Mrs DS did this and loved it), half day Garden Route (Mom went on this and had a great time) and we are scheduled to do his Turtle Watching tour in a few days. Do a Mandoo tour. The island is beautiful and Mandoo can take you to the most beautiful and interesting places. www.grenadatours.com

Savor the City food tour

Mom did this and spent several hours eating her way through downtown St George’s. She is a foodie and was able to chat with the local chefs about their methods, spices and techniques. She is in culinary overload right now! www.grenadaculinarytour.com

More Diving Stuff

Went back around to the west today and liked it much better. We did the new wreck, the Anina. She rests on her starboard side in about 90 feet of water. It sank just a month or so ago but is already a proper reef. Dive masters said there were already lots of corals on the hull since it had sat for some time. Apparently, just hours after it sank, divers reported that there were already reef fish and lionfish moving in. I shot three lionfish off of it and missed an absolutely huge one. Crafty bugger had already been shot once as evidenced by the scar on his head. Now he has a scar down his dorsal fin on his left side from one of my spear points. The stern section by the rudder and prop yielded a large one and a small one. Note to self, shooting through small lionfish against a steel hull results in dull spear points….. Another large one was found off on the sand floor idling his time away in a sunken tire. He’ll soon be idling his time away in some garlic butter.

Gotta go get cleaned up a bit, dinner time draws near. Tonight’s dinner will be Street Food Night at Dodgy Dock. Hope to see you there!

I had to laugh when I read "But now we had to return. Mom was out of spices."

We honeymooned in Grenada, and brought back about a pound of nutmeg (still in the shell). Lasted close to 20 years. And when I did finally run out, I realized that the crap we buy in the stores here now tasted far staler than the stuff that I had gotten in Grenada 20 years ago and only recently used up.

Indeed, running out of spices was one of the reasons that we went back a few years ago!

Brought back a bit more than a pound this time (also still in the shell). And I did some diving there too (the first trip was before certification).

Thanks for your trip report!

A quick note before heading out to dive...

Last night we went with Mandoo to Levera Beach to watch leatherback turtles come out of the sea and lay their eggs.

What a magical thing to witness. Huge, 5 foot/1.5 metre animals lumbering up onto the beach, digging with their rear flippers, depositing eggs, covering their holes and lumbering back to the sea.

With a turtle researcher guide, we were allowed to quietly approach the turtle and witness from just feet away. It is an experience that will never be forgotten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom