PADI UW photography specialty instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am still doing my DM course and it says I can conduct certain specialty courses like the PADI UW photography specialty, after taking the specialty instructor course from a CD. and my question is as follows:

Other than teaching me how to put my camera in an UW casing which I can learn by RTFM, what exactly is the PADI CD going to teach me considering that I make a living as a professional photographer shooting ad campaigns; an inductee in the master photographers association as well as a member of the professional photographers of America; and lecture on photography in the local university?

If you don't want to take the cousre, then wait until you are an MSDT, then apply directly to PADI.

However, there are differences, as you will know, between taking photgraphs above and below the water.

The course isn't to teach you how to take photographs, use software, understand white balance etc, but it is to teach you how to teach the subject.

As Simon said.. it's a course that provides you with the basics and how to present the course. The course itself isn't highly technical, in terms of photographic skill, so it is no drama to teach.
The real value in a photo course comes when the instructor can supplement the manual with their own knowledge, experience and insights on the subject.

Personally, if I wasn't already a keen and dedicated underwater photographer, then I wouldn't consider teaching the course. Students generally aren't impressed at paying for a course that is nothing more than a reiteration of the manual (which they could read for themselves) and a a couple of guided dives (where the 'instructor' can't give them expert tips and feedback).

As with many things, especially things in the diving industry... there is a vast difference between what you can do, and what you should do.

The real value in a photo course comes when the instructor can supplement the manual with their own knowledge, experience and insights on the subject ....

That is so true of any course - the added value.

Why would you teach the course anyway if you are a pro photographer? Unless you do it through a shop and they require it. If your dive skills are excellent and you can shoot good stuff while performing that way write your ow ncourse and teach it. All they would not get is a card that doesn't mean anything other than they took a course. I shoot only for myself and am not that good but do end with some good shots from time to time. For that reason I will not teach and UW Photo class. There are several shops that teach it in the area but not one has anyone that teaches who makes a living at it and offers a course I would want to take.

I do know two professional I will refer students to and neither is photo specialty instructor. But they do make a living at and have been published extensively. You can offer something that few others can and charge for it appropriately. And give students a class that will give them real results. Follow safe diving practices and be aware of what you are doing. You only need to take the class to teach the PADI course. Not yours. Which would offer more value to your students? That is the thing you need to ask yourself. Hell, come up with a good course and offer it close enough to me and I'll take it from you. I'll even help you with structuring one if you'd like. I've written several courses and have experience with laying them out. Come up with a good one, let me take it, and if it;s good I'll refer students to you. No need to offer card - the knowledge would be worth much more.

Thank you for all your feedback. Jim, I'll seriously consider your proposition, but AFTER I become a dive instructor :D

When you take the DUP specialty instructor course with the CD, the CD is not there to teach you how to take picture. He/she is there to show you how to conduct a PADI course since you are only a Dive Master. As well, the CD will discuss with you how to market the course. Besides, the CD is there to show you how to teach the PADI way of teaching. It is a valuable experience for a Dive Master because you may stay teaching DUP at this level, that said will give you more insight whether you want to move forward becoming an instructor. Student diver will learn different thing, more or less from different instructor during a specialty course. Of course instructor will cover the require skill within the specialty, but different instructor will have different experience to pass on to the student diver. The idea of specialty course, either is PADI or any other agency, is not to train someone to be professional of that particular specialty, the idea is to give student diver a chance to dive with an instructor and at the same time to learn different diving experience with an instructor. In fact, there is quite a number of professional photographer who is dive master has taken the DUP specialty instructor course with CD and start teaching their own underwater photography course. That benefit both the instructor (the professional photographer) and student diver who takes the course....

The whole thing is though that he teaches and lectures on it at a college. He doesn't need to learn how to teach. Especially of he writes his own course. He can teach it the way he wants and do it now. I'd take his class and probably learn more about UW Photo from him than anyone who did the two day course on how to teach as opposed to what to teach.

I thought more time was spent on the material of the course itself. Not how to teach it. When this first came out and DM's were going to be able to teach it I was a PADI DM. I did not do the workshop because of other family obligations at the time. Now see it would have been a waste of time anyway as it would have focused on how to teach it and not necessarily improved my knowledge of photography or actual techniques. I know how to teach. I need the information on the how's of UW Photo.

Randy, If you ever get the time and are close let's get together and you can teach me UW digital photography. I don't care if you're an instructor or not. I want the class you would teach. Card means nothing. I don't need one to rent a camera, buy one, or use one.

For someone with Randy creditials it would make more sense to offer workshops like Cathy Church, Bonnie Pelnar and others.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom