PADI Trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet Willy 05

Reaction score
Hello - I am new to the board and am thinking pretty seriously of joining a PADI sponsored singles trip to Roatan the first week in Sept.

Is anybody else here going?
Any experiences with PADI trips and in particalar PADI singles society trips?

Thanks

WW

I don't know about the PADI trips, but I was in the process of researching a trip to take on my own (with my sister) and up until today, Roatan was on the top of the list. The wrench in that plan is that I just found out that it is a malarial risk area. I knew that sand fleas and mosquitos were a problem (huge according to some reports) but when I saw it listed on the CDC website as a malaria risk that kinda killed it for me (I am a regular blood donor).

It does look to have awesome shore diving and a nice laid-back atmosphere though. Most people said they dove, ate and slept for a solid week and enjoyed themselves immensely.

Hope this helps.

-Cynthia

Wet Willy 05:
Hello - I am new to the board and am thinking pretty seriously of joining a PADI sponsored singles trip to Roatan the first week in Sept.

Thanks

WW

Wet Willy 05:

Thanks

WW

Always try a Search http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=105577 in reference to this topic.

As to the malaria thing- yes it's true- if the CDC lists the area as such then you can't donate blood for a period of time.... that must really cut down on the Caribbean options!

The caribbean countries that have NO malaria risk in any area are as follows, listed alphabetically: (per CDC)

Anguilla, Antigua/Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherland Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Trinidad/Tobago,Turks/Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands.

Now does anybody have any experience going on a PADI sponsored group trip?

(Sorry to force this back on-topic but I have to decide tomorrow - dont hate me I'm new)

Off Topic: You forgot Bonaire :)

Back on Topic: If you search on PADI trip you should find trip reports posted by folks who have gone. I have had some private feedback from someone who went on a group trip posted on the board (not sure if it was PADI or one of the moderators who organized it) but he said it was not as fun as he had hoped. The diving was great, but the company was not quite so nice. The best way to describe it would be cliqueish (sp?). Bit of speaking behind the back in not so nice manner stuff. But honestly, you get that on any trip regardless of who organizes it.

My big thing when choosing a group activity is researching the location and accomodations. If there is good diving to be had and clean beds to sleep in, you really can't go wrong. But then I generally bring my own buddy, so I am not at the mercy of a divemaster pairing me up with someone. :)

-Cynthia

RoatanMan:
Always try a Search http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=105577 in reference to this topic.

As to the malaria thing- yes it's true- if the CDC lists the area as such then you can't donate blood for a period of time.... that must really cut down on the Caribbean options!

The caribbean countries that have NO malaria risk in any area are as follows, listed alphabetically: (per CDC)

Anguilla, Antigua/Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherland Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Trinidad/Tobago,Turks/Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands.

Hi all,

This is my first post here so I'll say hi to everyone first. Also, I just thought I would reply to say that as of 5 minutes ago, I am going on the Singles trip to Roatan on Sep. 3-10. I also would love to know who else is going, when they are traveling, etc. I am from New Jersey and will be going to Houston on the 3rd and then off to Roatan.

Anyone else? Have you been there before? Or taken PADI sponsored trip before?

Hope to hear from other travelers,

Jim

Heck, with the West Nile virus rapidly spreading over Northern California. What is the CDC going to do then. I have traveled all over SE Asia since '87, from the jungles of Vietnam and Cambodia to the steppes of Nepal. Malaria is a risk in most tropical areas of the world, but a small one at that if certain precautions are taken. Dengue is more of a worry, I developed symptoms of Dengue fever while on Koh Samui/Koh Phanghan, Thailand in '89, it was 'one week of hell' but I survived.
With the recent unprecedented warming of the earth, tropical diseases of many forms will become more common place, and we will have to learn to live with them. In other words go to Roatan and have fun!

New here but I can give a little location help at least. I went down there a few years back and dove with Anthony's Key Resort. It was a shore dive and was absolutly beautiful and just as nice from the surface. We dove in "The Bowl" and it was full of life. As for the safety issues with disease there, Carnival and plenty other cruise ships come in there all of the time and no reported cases of disease have happened that I have ever heard.

I know that doesn't so much help for your PADI trip question but it would be a beautiful place to meet someone. I'd say go for it because I don't think you'd regret it regardless.

jimrider:
Hi all,

This is my first post here so I'll say hi to everyone first. Also, I just thought I would reply to say that as of 5 minutes ago, I am going on the Singles trip to Roatan on Sep. 3-10. I also would love to know who else is going, when they are traveling, etc. I am from New Jersey and will be going to Houston on the 3rd and then off to Roatan.

Anyone else? Have you been there before? Or taken PADI sponsored trip before?

Hope to hear from other travelers,

Jim

Hi everybody,

I try to get to Roatan every year. Usually either November or Jan. It is the BEST. I stay at Cocoview, an all inclusive, all the food and diving you can stand; take my shoes and underwear off and don't get dressed again till I leave. The diving in that area is spectacular and so easy and it is as cheap as anyplace I have ever been.

Don't know about PADI trips, but Roatan is fabulous; you will have a great time.

BTW, there is a product called Cactus Juice, made from natural substances including Aloe and for me it keeps the sand fleas from biting. They are the worst at about sunset, during the day no problem.

Deb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom