PADI Training Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question, however, is what are PADI Instrctors supposed to do? When I was certified about 15 years ago, we did the pool work over two days with an evening between to contemplate what you learned and adjust your thinking. I thought that PADI required it over two days. Is that correct?

Thanks for your input and it would be great if people with specific PADI knowledge would chime in.
My biggest concern with what you described was that the instructor's first impression to the students was "I don't want to be here, let's get this done, I don't want to have to be here tomorrow." Maybe this wasn't the impression he intended, but if his students were stressed over it, it seems that was the impression they received.

When I was teaching a lot, my standard OW class would take four pool sessions, each about 3 hours. We spent a lot of time in the pool, and I told students we would spend as much time as it took for them to get bored of the pool and want to go to the ocean. I never had a student complain that we were taking too long, and my students had a positive focus (i.e. they were mentally ready for it) when we did our open water dives. Sometimes my students would apologize for "taking too long" to get their skills right. I'd tell them if they have trouble with skills, we'd just have to come back for more pool time... and that there is nowhere I'd rather be on a Saturday afternoon than in the pool in my scuba gear. (Except maybe at the beach in my scuba gear.)

If the instructor is giving "I don't want to be here" vibes at the pool, I doubt it would get any better for the OW dives. Bad vibes from the instructor, stressed out students... not a good thing when doing their first OW dives. My recommendation would be to find an instructor that actually likes to teach the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom