PADI Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My daughter and I both have Advanced Open Water certifications. I have Nitrox as well. We enjoy trips to Key Largo, and have enjoyed taking courses which add additional interests during a trip to a fairly familiar area. My basic question is whether the Rescue Diver certification course is really worth it. I want both of us to become more competent at everything. Is taking a course a good idea, or would we be better off just diving?

I personally am aiming to get RD certified ASAP. I think it would be one of the best courses to take. I mean along with the basic first aid / emergency first responder part for above water, how to deal with someone panicked in the water just seems like something every diver should know.. At least that's my thoughts.

Personally I thought the rescue course was one of the best courses you can take. I had an excellent instructor who made the course very real to those of us in it. Thankfully since taking the course I haven't needed to "rescue" someone, but it defiantly has put me in a better position to help someone if a situation arises. That being said "just diving" is always good! I say do both!

Do both--get more dives and take the course. Even if you never have to use it, the knowledge and practice will make you a better diver, and a better buddy.

A well timed question, as I'm curious about this as well; I got certified last year because both of my daughters want to dive.
From the parental viewpoint, I'll be RD certified as soon as I can, "just in case".

KL

The "Old School" programs like NAUI, NASDS, YMCA all included self rescue and buddy rescue skills in their program because as a buddy team, you need to know what to do in an emergency. It is too bad that you have to take a seporate course under the PADI system to gain this criticle knowledge.

Take the course and you will be a better prepared diver.

It will be a challenge for you with the limited number of dives you have (based on your profile) but as others have mentioned, the information you gain will be well worth the time and effort. Two things you will learn that are typically not thought about- how not to become a victim yourself, and self-rescue. Most people go into the class thinking about how to help someone else.

I agree, well timed. My profile looks that same as yours. My plan is to go ahead with it this summer for all 3 of us. Then I will retake the course in a year or so, after I/we get more dives and I am sure we will come out with a better knowledge. But it does not make a lot of since to hold off until you have a lot of dives, as we are in the high risk group now. I believe I can gain a lot of knowledge now and then later have a much better and broader grasp of it.

My daughter and I both have Advanced Open Water certifications. I have Nitrox as well. We enjoy trips to Key Largo, and have enjoyed taking courses which add additional interests during a trip to a fairly familiar area. My basic question is whether the Rescue Diver certification course is really worth it. I want both of us to become more competent at everything. Is taking a course a good idea, or would we be better off just diving?

Rupp, I wondered the same thing a few weeks ago as I was considering taking the course. The feedback was universally in favor of taking the course. I heard things like "It will help you to beome a better diver." "It will enahnce your skills." And, perhaps most persuasive of all I heard from a Divemaster and and a Master Instructor who said "When I know that someone who has successfully completed the Rescue Course is on my boat, I know that there is one less diver that I have to worry about in an emergency." The skills of self-reliance are an important part of being able to dive safely, in my opinion.

As someone who was a lifeguard and a lifegurad instructor for many years, I know that it is nice to have someone around who has the skills and comfort level in the water to help in an emergency. At the very least, depending on the quality of his or her training, they have had to think through an emergency situation. Hopefully, they also have the water skills to be a resource in an emergency situation. It was always good to know when it was my job to keep people safe, that there were others around who may be able to help. You can't always do things alone...having help is a good thing:D

In short, I wanted to take the course to be a better diver...and also a better resource in the event that something goes wrong. I look at taking this course as an example of being a "good dive citizen".

I'll be taking my course in March. Hope you decide to take it and good luck to both of you!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom