Padi Peak Performance Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've taken the class and really enjoyed it. i would recommend it for anyone with new skills. it will teach you how to master your bouyancy and how to properly weigh yourself to attain better trim.

I took PPB. My dives consisted of having my instructor take weight off me, and then put it back on, and then take my light away, and then give it back to me. At the end, I was still confused, still feet down, and had no idea how to fix it.

Take a buoyancy class from somebody who really understands it. Or read tons and tons of stuff on this board about proper weighting and trim, and go play with it.

Or take Fundies. Everybody should take Fundies :)

marcinny:
Guys

I’m very interesting in PADI PEAK PERFORMACE BUOYANCY DVD. Before I spend my $$$ I’d like to know if this is really good DVD that will really help me improve my buoyancy, or maybe some one can recommend some other books or sources .

Regards

Marcin

Sorry Marcin but I have to say this to the other responders
Reread the original question please!

Skip the video. It's just a promotional thing. You're better off either finding an instructor who will work with you over several dives and give you a good foundation for improving your buoyancy or finding an experienced dive buddy who is willing to be your mentor and help you. Watching a video will not help.

ppo2 diver:
It's unfortunate that the class can be taught by assistant instructors who may not know the slightest about proper buoyancy or propulsion. Anybody can teach the book. You want someone who can show you what mastery looks like and give you the tools to start mastering it yourself.

I know instructors that have terrible buoyancy. I also know non-instructors who have great buoyancy. I'm not an AI, and I've never been one, but I don't think that's a fair statement. You're right anybody can teach the book. Unfortunately, most instructors only do just that.

Find a good mentor that has boyance skills and learn from them. Watching my friends water skills and wanting to be able to have control like him is how i got where i am today , not to mention how i got into the DIR thing.

Today, a diving instructor is required to teach you to dive (so that you have a card), but you can learn good buoyancy control from just about any diver who has good buoyancy control and is willing to mentor you. Don't get stuck on the idea that you can only learn from an "instructor."

If you can find an instructor that is focused on buoyancy as a critical skill instead of just a class, take the class. If not, work on proper weighting first and formost to get truely neutral and then the key to precise buoyancy skill is with breath control.

OK, I'll be the lone voice to say buy the DVD. You can get it on Ebay for $20. I know I've dropped $20 on far more useless items. So fix yourself a bologna sandwich tonight instead of ordering delivery pizza. Besides, you can always sell it back on Ebay later and get most if not all of your money back.

Unless I misread the OP, I didn't see where he was asking if he could learn from the DVD *instead* of practicing in the water. So I don't get all the "skip the DVD, practice in the water" posts. How about "get the DVD, practice in the water"? Getting the DVD does not exclude other methods such as practice, finding a mentor, finding an instructor, etc.

Buoyancy and trim is complex but not rocket science. I do believe it is something a diver can teach himself well, although a good mentor/instructor can help you get there faster by helping you to skip some of the errors in the trial and error process.

should you decide to get the DVD, then spend time in a pool, or somewhere and work on the techniques and weighting mentioned - buoyancy is a learned skill, and positioning your weights is a learned skill as well; it'll be warm but wear the gear you dive with in the pool as well - if you can control buoyancy in that shallow water, you can control it anywhere in the water column

the one thing many don't remember is that a wetsuit loses buoyancy as we descend; this changes our control of our position as the suit loses buoyancy, you now become heavy and your feet may sink - thats one reason I love by SS backplate as it puts the weight over my center of buoyancy as opposed to my hips

ReefHound:
OK, I'll be the lone voice to say buy the DVD. You can get it on Ebay for $20. I know I've dropped $20 on far more useless items. So fix yourself a bologna sandwich tonight instead of ordering delivery pizza. Besides, you can always sell it back on Ebay later and get most if not all of your money back.

Unless I misread the OP, I didn't see where he was asking if he could learn from the DVD *instead* of practicing in the water. So I don't get all the "skip the DVD, practice in the water" posts. How about "get the DVD, practice in the water"? Getting the DVD does not exclude other methods such as practice, finding a mentor, finding an instructor, etc.

Buoyancy and trim is complex but not rocket science. I do believe it is something a diver can teach himself well, although a good mentor/instructor can help you get there faster by helping you to skip some of the errors in the trial and error process.
:wave-smil
Seconded..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom