PADI or NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based upon my limited sampling of Basic-OW-equivalent divers, the rating would be (from best to worst):

1. ACUC;
2. BSAC;
3. NAUI;
4. PADI;

Note that the difference between 3 and 4 is a chasm.

Really, there are some excellent PADI divers, but they are for the most part far beyond the basic-OW level. PADI basic-OW is very light fare.

Note: BSAC has no basic-OW-equivalency. This ranking is based upon interpolation from rescue diver-equivalent trained BSAC divers.

Based upon my limited sampling of Basic-OW-equivalent divers, the rating would be (from best to worst):

1. ACUC;
2. BSAC;
3. NAUI;
4. PADI;

Note that the difference between 3 and 4 is a chasm.

Really, there are some excellent PADI divers, but they are for the most part far beyond the basic-OW level. PADI basic-OW is very light fare.

Such silliness.

I work on a dive boat that takes out 18 divers per trip, so I suspect that my "sampling" of divers - at all levels - is a lot less "limited" than is yours. I can assure that the ratio of excellent divers to crappy divers is pretty much the same for people holding NAUI c-cards as it is for people holding PADI cards.

:shakehead:

Add the variable of how often and how many dives a person has post cert and it is difficult to compare agencies at OW cert from observations as posted. One thing to consider is that is easier to cross over as a PADI instructor as opposed to going from other agencies to PADI. Do you plan on doing this full or part time?

Robert,
I am an IANTD instructor and also an AD Military member, everyone is correct about the instructor and not the agency, Jah Jah hit the nail on the head.

However there are other variables you may want to consider unique to a Military member who wants to become an "instructor". IANTD works best for me as an instructor who is subject to worldwide deployments and they are amazing people to work with, I could not be happier with the service and support. But there are many things you should consider.

Depending on how far you choose to take your diving (rec/tech) and or instructing research everyones policies and standards before you make the final jump. Everyone has their advantages or disadvantages.

For example as of a few years ago a SSI instructor was unable to be insured in the state of Alaska. So, if you stood a chance of receiving a set of 4 year orders to Alaska (awesome diving by the way) you may be unable to teach. BUT SSI offers all their material in spanish, for those south american deployments, (something I don't think NAUI has done yet).

I am also a PADI and NAUI DM and keep them both current because, not only am i proud of both certs, there has been a PADI or NAUI shop ALMOST everywhere I have been stationed.

Look into your military ED program, you may get college credit from the Army for one but not the other.

Do you wear a bubble? would you ever plan to teach other troopers?

Would one or the other help you professionally in the Army?

What type of students do you plan on teaching? AD? Civ? MWR? etc..

How far do you want to take your instructing? Trimix, CCR?

All good questions to ask yourself.

My point is do a little home work ahead of time. Don't fall into the "what agency is better" just choose what works best for you and your goals, a good instructor makes the agency but do look into your future to save yourself a little heartache.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions and thank you for your service. Good luck on your search and dive safe!

CL, E9 USCG

The area you will work as others mentioned should be considered. I feel the support I get from PADI is very good and I work outside the US. PADI support material for instructors is outstanding. Regular updates, meetings with our regional rep and good online resources. I can't speak for other agencies but I have been very impressed with PADI.

There has been some good input so far in the thread. NAUI has excellent deals for independent instructors and great support world wide. I believe that the NAUI texts and support materials are some of the best out their for students and the flexibility of its programs are perfect for teaching military folks with some very screwy schedules that sometimes don't allow a cookie cutter course (we have couple very large US bases right across the street from us). The NAUI system will allow you to expand your teaching to whatever level you would like -NAUI has a full tech program that is well respected.
I choose NAUI when I went instructor because of the flexibility and academic freedom that allowed me to tailor my course to my students needs and add skills that were necessary to the curriculum. I have also found that becoming and remaining a NAUI instructor is cheaper than the PADI route for both materials, student registration, membership etc..

Most importantly you need to find the agency that fits your style of teaching and allows you to teach a course you are comfortable with.

Am looking into obtaining OWSI certification and am trying to figure out which way to go. Can someone please educate me?? Thank you in advance.

Hello Robert ... here are some things to consider ...

Perhaps the most important question to ask yourself ... and the logical place to start ... is why do you want to become an instructor? If it is to teach locally, then your choice of agencies will depend on where and how you want to teach. If at a local dive shop, then the agency will be determined by what the shop offers. If you are looking to teach as an independent, then I think NAUI offers better options. Although PADI allows independent instruction, they don't support them quite as well as NAUI does.

One of the major considerations is that NAUI doesn't offer OWSI certifications like PADI does. When you become a NAUI instructor, you are certified to teach up to the Divemaster level ... as well as quite a number of specialty programs ... as soon as you become certified to teach. This approach has both advantages and drawbacks, as it gives you more options to teach more types of classes ... but it also means you will have to work harder to become proficient in those classes if you want to teach them at a quality level. PADI's approach is to limit the number of classes you can teach initially, and allow you to achieve some proficiency at those classes by teaching them before adding more qualifications to teach additional classes.

If you are considering the possibility of heading off someplace warm and tropical to live and teach for a while, consider that PADI offers quite a lot more opportunities than NAUI ... PADI pretty much owns the Caribbean destinations, for example. So if that's your goal, I would definitely go the PADI route, as it'll make it much easier to find work.

Please know that the notion of living large off what a scuba instructor can earn is a pipe dream for most instructors. The vast majority of instructors will burn out after a few years and move on to something else. Go into it with your eyes open. The best instructors I've met ... and the ones who have offered the most to their students ... are people who weren't in it for the money, but rather for the love of diving and a desire to help others learn how to dive well. It takes a certain type of person to do that ... and often it means you will need an additional source of income. Those who can support themselves through scuba instruction are more the exception than the rule.

EDIT: Ah, I should've read the rest of the thread first ... given that you are planning to move around and teach military personnel ... which implies doing it as an independent ... I think NAUI will offer you more options than PADI. This has nothing to do with quality. Some of the above statements about the quality of each program are just silly ... quality will depend more on how much effort you choose to put into teaching than it will the agency you teach for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I had the opportunity I would, career military and am constantly moving every couple of years. So I don't have the stability and time to stick with one or two different dive shops.

Got it! Ich auch, me too, etc.

Complete a class with an instructor with whom you feel confident and respect. Get certified.

Go to next class, wherever. Have the next class instructor quiz you / perform skill review of previous class. This instructor can advise you on skills / knowledge to brush up on. Take class, get certified.

Repeat.

I have cards from NAUI, PADI, & SSI, in several different places. No one cares. The instructor review before each class will identify any perceived 'gaps' as you switch from agency to agency.

PS - there are instructors in Kuwait (Arifjan), fyi.

IMHO, it's all about the instructor, one of the best instructors I know is a PADI instructor, does that make PADI the best agency? Hardly, find an instructor in your area w/ solid credentials that consistently turns out solid divers and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom