PADI not teaching dive tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Forgive me if this has been discussed. Today I was told by a dive shop employee that PADI is no longer teaching tables to new divers? I really hate to think that they have to dumb things down to this point to keep the c-card presses and package sales rolling?

Can anyone clarify if this is true, and if yes, why?

My kids will be old enough to start getting into jumior certs in a few years and this has me more than a little concerned. Before anyone decides to assume the role of "Captain Obvious", I know I can still teach them the tables myself. I'm also thinking about what other corners are being cut, and if the divers on the boat with us are not capable of basic arithmetic.

I would greatly appreciate any information/clarification on this. Part of me finds it hard to believe.....

Scott

3 options available now, tables, electronic RDP (little calculator thingy, doesn't go underwater) or dive computer.

I think the reasoning is that so many people use dive computers these days, tables quickly become redundant after qualification.

I would guess in most cases the dive centre or instructor directs students toward the option they are teaching, but in theory there is still a choice to learn on tables.

With the vast majority of divers now using computers, I think that the computer training as part of OW is the better way to go. Divers are more apt to make math mistakes doing tables than a computer is likely to make an error. How many of you have been on dive boats and have heard a diver say "I just got this computer, can you show me how to use it?" Yeah, not something you want to hear just before a dive, but still happens way too often. Better to make sure that they understand how to use their computer from the beginning as part of their training. Still, basic table knowledge is good to explain dive planning concepts.

Yeah, I have found myself teaching eRDP then picking up the massive classroom RDP table to explain how the letters work.

Why do you assume that corners are being cut?

I can teach my OW students some basic decompression theory and show/explain how dive computers work and how to use them. I now have a heck of a lot of time now to teach them about decompression theory, etc. than before.

Believe me, when teaching a class of eight students, inevitably one or two students would take up an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out the mechanics of using the table, not even getting to what it all meant. Now I can take that wasted time and actually teach them something. Of course this is just my observations from teaching.

Bill

Other agencies are also out there that might fit your training expectations better than PADI.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forgive me if this has been discussed. Today I was told by a dive shop employee that [-]PADI[/-] my dive shop is no longer teaching tables to new divers? I really hate to think that they have to dumb things down to this point to keep the c-card presses and package sales rolling?

Can anyone clarify if this is true, and if yes, why?
I made a alteration in your post.

PADI allows for three, actually four, options. A student can learn using the tables, the electronic tables (eRDPmL), dive computer or the fourth option, a simulator (elearning).

My preferred method would be teaching the dive computer option, but my store has made the descision that students will learn the eRDP. Like wildlifephotog I use the big card version of the RDP to show how the letters work. If someone requests learning the hard tables I'll take the time after class.
If you're set on your kids learning the tables and you feel comfortable teaching them, do it. If not ask your instructor if they can take the 10-20 minutes and teach them.

When was this change? PADI OW eLearning in December had a section on the RDP.

Why do you assume that corners are being cut?

I can teach my OW students some basic decompression theory and show/explain how dive computers work and how to use them. I now have a heck of a lot of time now to teach them about decompression theory, etc. than before.

Believe me, when teaching a class of eight students, inevitably one or two students would take up an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out the mechanics of using the table, not even getting to what it all meant. Now I can take that wasted time and actually teach them something. Of course this is just my observations from teaching.

Bill

I agree with you on this. When I consider how many students move immediately to dive computers during the class or just after, I think PADI is doing them a great service by teaching dive computers and making sure that they understand the use and function of their computer. Lots of divers last use of a dive table is immediately after their ow class. They may buy a computer and then their next thought about it is on their next dive trip. Why focus all that time on tables when they are going to be using a computer? I view requiring and teaching computer use as forward thinking and a significant advantage for the student - certainly not a disadvantage for the typical OW recreational diver.

I taught my first computer version of the course this fall. There are no shortcuts. The computer-related instruction is very thorough. There is a really neat simulator that shows how computers work throughout single dives, repetitive dives, etc. It is easy to use it to show how it deals with nitrogen loading.

For Christmas I gave my grandson and his mother the gift of scuba instruction. I told them the options available, and I said I would teach whichever version they wanted. She told me to make the choice, and I chose the version I thought would be the very best for these loved ones. I taught them the computer version.

Back
Top Bottom