PADI Master Scuba Diver - what does it give you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It brings nothing specific. It all depends upon you. If you choose 5 really solid specialties and really learn from them, then you will be a much better diver. If you choose 5 specialties that really don't teach you much of value, you will have a card but not much more skill. The card you get with it itself doesn't matter all that much.

What John wrote! But to add a little more, it isn't the particular specialty that is important, it is how the specialty is taught. For example, people often poo-poo the PADI Boat Specialty -- and, in general, for valid reasons. HOWEVER, a dedicated instructor could make it into a VERY good course (including boat handing). Likewise Underwater Photography could be (and for me was) a very good course. IT IS THE INSTRUCTOR who makes, or breaks, the value.

When I have someone show me the Master Diver Card, it indicates to me that he/she is an experienced diver who can fend for themselves.. It also indicates to me someone who has decided that they usually have no interest in going pro and are really in the sport for fun....

This is my opinion based on 28 years as a dive pro....

Cheers,
Roger

What do you get? You get laughed at.

re: going "past" rescue diver... why not just go diving? (a lot)

---------- Post Merged at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:07 PM ----------

When I have someone show me the Master Diver Card, it indicates to me that he/she is an experienced diver who can fend for themselves..

Using c-cards to gauge competency? Scary. The only c-card I carry on me is my nitrox card.

It shows nothing. It's not a "C" card. After you spend the time and money to get 5 specialty certs, then you have the honor of paying PADI yet more money money for another card.

Get the training you want for the types of diving you plan to do. Don't do it just to collect cards.

I will agree with the above posts that if you have 5 specialties and Rescue Diver, getting the Master Diver Card doesn't add anything. I paid the $40 for the card, and considering I have spent more money, on much more frivolous things many times, I don't regret it.

I think Master Scuba Diver is a more personal thing, it doesn't do anything to indicate your diving competency that your specialty cards and Rescue Diver cards don't already do, but you can feel good about wrapping your accomplishments under the title.

It's a clear indicator to the dive shop that the bearer will buy almost anything without thinking about it ... unlike you, who asks the question.

I have heard of some shops that use to throw it in for free if you did the other prerequisites with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom