PADI Log Book Pages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDostal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This isn't ENTIRELY DIY, but it's still pretty close.

I still use PADI dive log pages - I like them for the diving that I do. They are the ones that have the little graphs for multi-level and single level dives, exposure protection, water type, weight, start/ending psi, air/watr temp, time in/time out and a good liberal comments section. Everything I need and like. If I recall they are the ones out of the book that you would get with a PADI AOW class....

Anyway! I just filled up another book of 'em and was faced with paying $11.95 for another log book that fits 50 dives and I would split the pages part to fit into my logbook binder. Or...I could go to my local friendly office store (Staples, in my case) and have them make up a few for me.

They were able to fit four log book pages per 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. Two per side, double sided. They even had that somewhat glossy paper the log book comes in.

I had 100 sheets made, so 400 dives. Cut to size and three hole punched for like $16.50. So, for a few bucks more than the cost of a book for 50 dives, I got a log book for 400 dives. Not too shabby!

but posting a clear violation of Copyright laws is 'interesting'. Again, doubtful that the PADI Publishling Police will be knocking on your door....:wink:

I 'spose.

Standard Disclaimer
These instructions are for instructional purposes only and are not intended for actual use. To do so is at your own legal risk.

There - I highly recommend against doing such a thing :D

For those of you that would like to customise your dive logs, I offer the following humble submission.

Use it, don't use it...:)

Cheers,

Andrew

By the way, I print the log sheet on A4 paper and then reduce it down to A5 while photocopying.

Much more manageable and fits into the various log files/folders that are available.

Cheers,

Andrew

Not only is it a violation of the law, it's also morally and ethically wrong. PADI has a right to profit from materials they develop. If you want to use their materials, you have a moral obligation to pay them for the use. If you don't want to pay them, develop your own.

Walter,

If you don't want to pay them, develop your own.

I believe that is what I did. The PADI dive logs did not include all the data I wanted to record, so I spent time drawing up my own logs in a wordprocessor. I did not photocopy or scan the original PADI logbooks. Granted, the PADI layout was my starting point, but I drew these up and added the information that is important to me. PADI does not have the copyright on the data which is important for a diver. They have the copyright on the original material they generate.

If, for example, I typed their training manuals verbatim into an electronic format, I have infringed on their copyright. If I typed my own dive training manual addressing issues such as DCS, SIT, sinus problems, depth, pressure, etc, which are also addressed in the PADI manual, this would not be a copyright infringement. The training manuals are attempting to achieve a common purpose, hence the similarities.

In the same way, as a diver I am interested in:

Date;
Weather;
Tank Volume;
Air Consumption;
Bottom Time;
Max Depth;
Average Depth;
Comments;
and so on....

in my dive log. If these happen to appear in a dive log that I create as well as the PADI version, so be it.

I do not condone people infringing on copyright. If you believe that my dive log format is an infringement, I will more than gladly delete my post.

I hope that I have made my position clear. And more importantly, I hope that I have not misinterpreted your post and flown off the bat unnecessarily.:(

Cheers,

Andrew

Shoaldiver - cool, thanks!

Not being familiar with the PADI log book, I don't know if you have infringed on their copyright, but from your description, my guess is you haven't.

Walter, if this thread worries you just delete it. It's not that important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom