PADI Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point is not what happened in the past, @boulderjohn, other than it may very well reoccur again. With people wanting a cheap OW class, and instructors not receiving the renumeration they feel they deserve, corners may be cut. From your post it sounds like you agree.

Bob

With people wanting a cheap OW class, and instructors not receiving the renumeration they feel they deserve, corners may be cut. From your post it sounds like you agree.
I have too many concrete examples to allow me to disagree.

Hi OP Rob,

Yeah, as others have stated, I feel certain that this is a copy write issue.

Point #1: We pay so little for certs, and we pay so little for course materials, shouldn't we leave what little gross profit there is for the LDS and instructors?

Point #2: As Bob has written on more than one occasion, our certs have been devalued to the point that they are almost worthless (Bob, I hope I have not taken your thoughts out of context, please correct me if I am wrong).

As Boulderjohn has written, DMs and Instructors make next to nothing. Lets not further harm the system.

I would gladly pay more for course materials and certs if they allowed me to hop on a 787, fly to a place on the other side of the world, do a supervised check-out dive, and then be allowed to dive to my cert level. I am going to Bonaire in January, I hope the crew I am going with is successful in grouping divers with similar skill-sets together. Either way we will have fun. Just hoping to do advanced recreational dives.

To iterate: the current system needs help, and I am willing to pay more for certs and service if that changes the system.

Please don't copy and post the knowledge reviews, especially an answered review.

thanks,
markm

I agree, copyright issue. My intent was never to make money or prevent anyone else from making money. The only thing I did was edit the knowledge reviews so they could be filled out digitally. In no way was this supposed to be an answer sheet for anyone. Only blank forms that were better than ripping out pages of a book. I spent a good bit of time making everything look professional instead of looking like I scanned it on a copier, I just figured I could save the next guy who was in class from having to do any of the above.

I agree (as stated prior) instructors, dm's, and shops make too little money. I would have paid more for classes, it would of just taken longer to get done.

It's just like you have the ability to do something but don't know how to do business. No one becomes an instructor to be a millionaire unless you do it for business. if you a freelance instructor, it's up to you how much charge a profit to your course. PADI expensive because of the quality of their standard globally and services or supports that they give to their member. Most Instructors just don't use the services that PADI provide. PADI Member should ask directly to PADI if anything they want to know or not understand because no one will give you the right answer than PADI staff. Other people just give the wrong answer as this is not their business plan. If you compare on Teaching Standards, Diver Materials, Supports that you get from PADI, Risk Management tools, Instructional materials for the instructor to teach and other else, I don't think other organization will give the same things.

No need to write in your manuals at all. If you wanted to, you could copy the KRs, use the copies and then sell your unused books on Fleabay after the course.

I want to be positive and enthusiastic, but not about reselling the books. Not saying I'm against it either, but I'll be diplomatically mum on that point, stay of anyone's toes, etc.

If edited to say "... and then save your unused books to re-read whenever you please" :) that would be quite smart! This way you pre-empt the instructor from tearing out pages from your book by copying the page and only filling out the copy. I know the shop already caught the OP by surprise and then the deed was already done, but in the future we all know to be wary and if faced with a fossil who demands his own copy, this tactic should work.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom