PADI instructors manual....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44:
So, if I wait till 2006 and purchase the CD, I'll be able to get updates online? I will not be a PADI pro untill Feb or March.

PADI have decided from 2006 to supply all certified instructors with CD versions of the instructor manual that can be updated online.

I need it for a few of my DM test and I will be doing my IDC soon also.

For your DM exams, you should probably use one supplied by your LDS with the DM section removed. This section actually has the answers to the exams in it, though if you cheat to pass the DM exams you're only making life harder for yourself on an IDC. Most IDCs only have a basic review of dive theory and it's up to you to make sure that you know all you need to know.

I'd borrow one for your DM, then worry about buying one later. I'd suggest thinking about buying a paper version, then when you get the CD version as a new instructor you can just print off the update sections. I've got both versions and tend to use the paper one more often - I don't like taking my laptop away on dive trips where it can get wet and knocked about.

You can buy either CD or paper online from a number of places, for example:

http://www.deepbluedive.com

These guys charge £105, but if you deduct UK VAT that works out as around US$150. Make sure that you get the box marked "educational materials" and you shouldn't have to pay any import taxes.

You should be able to do DM by borrowing the manual, as I remember I used it for one of the exams. However for AI or OWSI you will need it. Either paper or the CD, I prefer the electronic version.

AndyNZ:
PADI have decided from 2006 to supply all certified instructors with CD versions of the instructor manual that can be updated online.

Won't I need a NEW one for my IDC?

scubajoh44:

Depends on how you define new! Mine is 2004 edition, but I've gone through the 2004 and 2005 training bulletins (which PADI use to communicate changes in standards) and made the changes with tippex and biro! Some of the instructors I work with are using their 2001 editions, but obviously with more changes made by hand.

If you buy a paper version from Deepbluedive, they actually order it from PADI and get PADI to ship it directly to you.... so it will be a 2004 edition with the changes included. If you buy one from your LDS, if it's one they've had in stock for a while then you'll have to go through and make those changes by hand.

So really, "new" is a bit of a misnomer and as long as you keep it up to date then you'll be fine.

*EDIT* Sorry, just realised you might have been asking a different question. For your IDC, the only thing you are *required to buy* is the Instructor Candidate Workbook. You are required to have a Instructor Manual, copy of Law and the Diving Professional etc etc..... but you don't necessarily have to own them.

scubajoh44:
AndyNZ:
QUOTE]

I went to DEMA last fall and heard from the horses mouth - PADI, that is - that they are going to be issuing the digital instructor manual to every instructor who pays their dues starting in 2006. They are not able to do digital updates any longer (like the tool they had for the 2004 version) because Adobe has made it too difficult to make this feasible. PADI has promised to not release any updates until the 4th Quarter of the year so that changes will be minimal. The current cost for a CD is approximately $150.00. I recommend you go with the CD version because you can print out whatever instructor guides you may need at the time. For the IDC and IE it's really slick to be able to search the digital version for the answers to the standards questions! Just my 2 cents!

PF

AndyNZ:

Is this confirmed? If so, what effect will it have on the annual membership fee for instructors? Does this apply to all instructors or only those who have a copy of registered paper version?

If PADI is actually providing such offer, wouldn't it actually make candidate hesitate in buying a copy when starting their IDC?

:06:

I hope we can still update the CD version online; it's really convenient and quick. I have the 2005 version, and I don't want to have to buy a new version next year...

Everyone who renews their Teaching status receives the CD-Rom version of the manual. The maunuals as per above will now only be updated in the 4th quarter.

If you need a manual for the IDC and the old one is an option but you will have to update it. May be a good idea to buy a new paper version then just update that each year when you get the new cd-rom version for that year. It is nice to have the paper version of the manual even if you have an electronic version.

The updating is a lot of work but still worthwhile and will now only need to be done once a year according to PADI. We just looked through all the changes and printed these pages off the cd-rom version and then glued the pages over the old pages.

drew52:
Everyone who renews their Teaching status receives the CD-Rom version of the manual. .

here at our end Asia PAc. region, the update would be free for those who enroll on automatic renewal.

scubajoh44:
I need to purchase an instructor's manual. What would be the best way? How do we get updates? My LDS says the CD version is $300 and that he can get a revised version every year for cheap (I think $30). Is this right? I need a paper version also. Know where I can get one a little cheaper?:06:

Don't they just give it to you? PADI sends me a new CD in the mail every year. I don't recall ever paying anything for the instructor manual.

R..

Back
Top Bottom