PADI Inadequacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar once bubbled...
Ok, let me change my numbers..91%- 96% of PADI instructors dont belong in the water. My instructor is AWESOME, but I am afraid that an overwhelming majority of you..SUCK!!!!

Count on it.

Padi Dear?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jepuskar once bubbled...
dont try and throw DIR in my face or tell me that I need to move up the PADI ladder in order to feel better about my SCUBA experiences.. HOG WASH!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MechDiver once bubbled...

Huh? What in the world does PADI have to do with DIR?

Chill out a little dude.

Phil

No sense wasting a good mindless rant.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Huh? What in the world does PADI have to do with DIR?

Chill out a little dude.

Phil

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

Jimmie

Scottri once bubbled...

If all you two want to do is ***** about PADI or one class I say get over it. Take an AOW class from your sons instructor through SSI.

If someone doesn't ***** about it what will ever be done about it. You see that is how progress is made, not by ignoring the problem and hoping that things change on their own. As a matter of fact I am already signed up for the next class. This time with a much better picture of how things should be, or at least how I would like it to be.

Scottri once bubbled...

Put the word out about the school and the instructor if you think it was inadequate or unsafe but it's hard to take you seriously if are not inclined to take some action about.

..........hmmm isn't that what I did. Yet you said I shouldn't put the word out on a public forum. As far as telling PADI about it, the letter is almost ready and will have signatures on it by the end of the week, six of them from that class alone. Maybe I will include a link to this discussion as well. As far as you not taking me seriously.......who cares! Seems that enough others have had very similar problems. Maybe PADI isn't to blame entirely but they sure have their share of complaints.

Scottri once bubbled...

it's a very serious thing and you need to back it up with facts not just complaints. Round up some classmates and write it up.

Scott

Everything that has been stated are quite factual. :eek:ut:

As far as getting on with my diving, I do quite regularly. Last weekend I was at the local diving hole, 26 degrees outside with a dense fog, couldnt see more than 20 feet. Luckily the water is fed by an underground thermal spring and was 60 deg. I did my open water at the end of October and have done 12 additional dives since then. Not too bad for being the middle of the winter, and landlocked no less.:mean:

I am planning on writing a letter to PADI about my experiences. I won't continue my dive education with them but have already signed up for other classes throught a different agency.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar problems.:confused: [/B]

You may want to right that letter for different reasons.

First, sort through your PADI OW manual, and highlight anything you feel was skipped over.

This may jog your memory, and/or better support your position.

Then compare your OW manual to your son's (You'll find them very similar).

Check out this website:

http://www.wrstc.com/main.php

Mission Statement

"The primary purposes of the WRSTC are education, the promotion of public safety, and other items associated with the promotion and fostering of recreational snorkel and scuba diving, including:

The establishment of world-wide standards for the training of students in snorkeling and scuba diving.

The establishment of world-wide standards for the training and certification of dive supervisors, assistant instructors, instructors, and instructor trainers."

You'll have a better idea of where agency standards come from.

My LDS, and it's affiliate instructors, teach just about every agency (IANTD, PADI, GUE, NAUI, NACD/NSS, WMCA, CMAS, TDI,and ANDI), and the NAUI instructors -are- the PADI instructors.

You may come to the conclusion that it's the individual instructor, and not even the shop, but it probably isn't the agency.

Investigating in this or a similar manor might help you better understand the problem, and direct your energy.

But you -should- make yourself heard.

jepuskar once bubbled...
About 90-95% of PADI instructors should not be in the water to begin with as their diving skills are usually inferior to a basic open water student trained by another agency.

I'm certainly not a huge fan of PADI, but thats a ridiculous comment. How on earth can you possibly back that stat up? 90-95% - where did you pull that out of?

Darryl

Popeye once bubbled...

Feel free to point one out...

If you can.

This not being your normal stompin' grounds, I won't even bother.

Nor will I play. There are rules here, that's why I'm here. Stay or go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom