PADI Inadequacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDon

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, here is the scenario. I took my open water certification a couple of months ago through PADI, sponsored of course by a local dive shop. My dive buddy and I thought w had a pretty good class..........that is until we started diving with several people with similar amounts of dives but having been certified through different agencies and we quickly realized how lacking in skills we were.

My son started his open water classes last week, through a different agency, and I was able to sit through a couple of his classes. I was absolutely appaled at the difference in what kind of experience and amount of time the instructors were spending with this class as opposed to what we had. His first class he had a little more than an hour of class room time and almost 3 hours of pool time. The amount of information and instruction he got made me feel like I had gone through a resort certification. My first class session lasted all of 45 min. and then we had about 45 minutes of pool time. It didn't get better from there. The second class we spent 15 min. in the class going over the questions from the book and then we had a different instructor for the pool session and he was in a hurry and we spent a whopping 15 min. in the pool. We complained to the LDS and it was passed off as the instructor was having a bad day.

My son got more pool time his first class than we had our entire course. We didn't cover altitude diving, we live in Salt Lake which is at 5000 feet altitude, we were told that they couldn't teach that because it was a different class, underwater nagigation....spent all of 5 minutes on it. We learned only 1 kicking technique, the fultter kick, my son has learned 5 so far. I could go on and on about the differences. It was really making me mad sitting there.

My question is, does PADI care whether or not their divers are prepared or are they more interested in selling you the next class. I thought at first we just had a bad experience at this particular dive shop or possibly this class, but after talking to several different people who had similar experiences with this LDS and PADI in particular I am beginning to wonder.

I am planning on writing a letter to PADI about my experiences. I won't continue my dive education with them but have already signed up for other classes throught a different agency.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has had similar problems.:confused:

With which agency was your son's instructor associated?

raxafarian once bubbled...

There are instructors that go above and beyond.... so I wouldn't rule out any training based upon agency alone... Just as I wouldn't take any training based upon agency alone. [/B]

I agree, but from what I have heard the bare minimum is not enough when other agencies are offering so much more for the open water certification.

My brother was certified with NAUI when he was living back east and he couldn't believe it when I told him of my experiences.:upset:

About 90-95% of PADI instructors should not be in the water to begin with as their diving skills are usually inferior to a basic open water student trained by another agency.

Unfortunately, I think that many people share your views. As a PADI instructor myself, I can honesly say that I think your biggest problem was with your instructor. I am sad to say that this happens way too much. I encourage you to write a letter to PADI explaining your situation and views. This is the only way anything is going to change. I believe that a good class depends largely on the instructor, but it is the agency that needs to make sure that they have quality instructors. Once again, let them know.

Divers have horror stories about all the agencies. If you are not happy with your LDS, tell them that. Then tell them you are going elsewhere for your business. Then contact PADI's standards department and complain about your class, you should have gotten a form in the mail asking about the quality of the class.

You could not have done the time you say you did in the pool and met standards IMO. How were the OW dives? Where did you do them if you didn't have altitude training?

Phil

jepuskar once bubbled...
About 90-95% of PADI instructors should not be in the water to begin with as their diving skills are usually inferior to a basic open water student trained by another agency.

In your opinion

jepuskar once bubbled...

And I've seen NAUI and SSI instructors who had the buoyancy skills of a sea cucumber.

There are good and bad in all agencies. IMO

Phil

Back
Top Bottom