PADI Inadequacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of the problem is that the so called professionals in the industry dont really know what the common recreational diver wants. Who cares if you dont have absolutely perfect bouyancy???? They take the fun out of diving by expecting people like myself to conform to their standards. that is BS. I know my skills and am comfortable in the water and I like to view those reefs I see in the ocean.......I am content with this.....dont try and throw DIR in my face or tell me that I need to move up the PADI ladder in order to feel better about my SCUBA experiences.. HOG WASH!!!

Bob C once bubbled...
My experience with PADI was just the opposite of yours. My first class was about 2 hours instruction
Bob C.

Ya know what, I don't think we had much instruction at all in class until it came time to do the tables, and then that was all of 30 min. Most of the time we were asked if we had watched the video and did we have any questions, we would then review the answers to the questions in the book.

Pool session would be spent trying to find equipment, Our classes were held on Monday and most equipment was still out on rentals, we would do about 30-40 min in the pool and then had to get out and help put away all the equipment.

I don't know of an agency that has a good QA program. All the ones I know send out these silly questionairs looking for blatant satandards violations (only certain ones). They know full well that classes are getting shorter and instructors are cutting corners when it comes to insuring student mastery of skills and material. Before I'm through here I'm goint to get my card pulled or end up in court like Walter but I know what I say first hand. I also know what they say they are doing about it. Did you know that if you improve student materials so as to shorten class room time that instructors will spend more time in the pool? That's what I was told.

Wow. That is the opposite of what my experiance was. My instructor was very good and taught us well. We spent 2 hours every time we were in the classroom and an entire day in the pool. My total bottom time after my 4 OW dives was 131 minutes, that's not a huge ammount but it was more than enough that we all became comfortable with our skills. Maybe it's because it's been rated 5 stars by PADI...but then again...maybe I just lucked out and got an excelent instructor. He even gave us information on things that didn't pertain to OW calsses but other classes....and he didn't charge for it. I wonder if I can use my last dive towards my deep cert. We went to 94' with him. :tease:

jepuskar once bubbled...
dont try and throw DIR in my face or tell me that I need to move up the PADI ladder in order to feel better about my SCUBA experiences.. HOG WASH!!!

Huh? What in the world does PADI have to do with DIR?

Chill out a little dude.

Phil

In almost ANY diving class, the instructor makes all the difference in the world and unfortunately from what I have read here and seen in the water, I believe that it is far too easy to become certified at many levels without going through a serious review of your diving skills in a variety of environments with most agencies.

Unfortunately, many divers (at all levels of certification) do not realize how bad they really are. I would suspect that many of them do not even care:upset: The majority of people on boards like this one are passionate about diving or curious about expanding their own knowledge and skills. Unfortunately for the sport, most divers who are once a year divers or who think that a basic C card is all you need to be a "diver" have absolutely no idea what a good diver really looks like nor do they know that they have received sub-par education.

It is sad that in other sports people look to "professional athletes" to role model what can be done. Watch Tiger Woods play golf, Michael Jordan play Basketball, Tony Hawk skateboard, Tao Berman kayak, Warren Miller ski movies etc. and you see just how far it is possible to advance your skills. Other than the GUE videos and classes which I would venture to say 99% of the diving world has little or no knowledge of, diving as a sport has not really demonstrated "world class skills" to the majority of people who are diving or intersted in diving.

If agencies, any agency, do not put any emphasis on skill development as a part of the certification process then it is no wonder that there are so many poor divers being created. Only the instructors who realize and recognize that these skills are important and who are able to effectively demonstrate and pass on these skills to their students will be training the divers we all want to dive with.

There are a great many threads and discussions on here outlining how the agencies class formats are adaptable to teaching many different skills and gear configurations. Perhaps we need to work together to change the emphasis of certification to include qualitative skills assesments beyond mask remove and replace and look at how we can help the divers we see who don't even realize that there is room to improve.

Scottri once bubbled...
Your problem is not with PADI, it's with the shop and the instructor. Period

Not sure I agree there. Yes the majority of the problem is with the shop but if this happened to me I am sure it has happened to others, how many of them have written to PADI? Did PADI listen? Don't know.

Scottri once bubbled...

To say PADI instructors suck is plain stupid. If you have problem with an instructor or shop, report them to PADI. [/B]

Never said PADI or the instructors "Sucked". If you go back and read my original post you will see I was simply trying to see is this is something that has happened to others. I will certainly include that as part of my letter to PADI.

Scottri once bubbled...

If your class was that bad report it! Write PADI with the class date, shop name, instructor name and list of things that were wrong. PADI will investigate. The follow up on all QA complaints.

[/B]

Planning on it....

Scottri once bubbled...
Give PADI a chance to correct the problem before you decide to bash them in a public forum.

Scott [/B]

Not bashing, just gathering information to support my letter to them.

I am not encouraging anyone to move up the PADI ladder to feel better about themselves. Take or don't take whatever class you like. Drag the bottom or hover motionless, it's up to you. I don't pretend to know what the recreational diver wants, but I do ask each student in every class I help teach and I take pride in the quality of divers we produce. PADI has nothing to do with it. I would have same approach if I was helping with SSI, NAUI, YMCA, BSAC or any other agency.

If all you two want to do is ***** about PADI or one class I say get over it. Take an AOW class from your sons instructor through SSI. If you don't to take another class fine, find a more experienced diver and tag along and ask questions but please drop the resentment and get on with your diving. You will be a better diver for it. Put the word out about the school and the instructor if you think it was inadequate or unsafe but it's hard to take you seriously if are not inclined to take some action about.

I have reported PADI pros to PADI if I thought they were unsafe and I will continue to do so but it's a very serious thing and you need to back it up with facts not just complaints. Round up some classmates and write it up.

Scott

jepuskar once bubbled...
Part of the problem is that the so called professionals in the industry dont really know what the common recreational diver wants. Who cares if you dont have absolutely perfect bouyancy???? They take the fun out of diving by expecting people like myself to conform to their standards. that is BS. I know my skills and am comfortable in the water and I like to view those reefs I see in the ocean.......I am content with this.....dont try and throw DIR in my face or tell me that I need to move up the PADI ladder in order to feel better about my SCUBA experiences.. HOG WASH!!!

Diving is more fun when it isn't so much work. Spend some time with the DAN accident report and you will see that good buoyancy control = safe diving (and fun).

What you may not understand is that we can put out student with good buoyancy control and trim without having to work them to death. In fact a diver can get trimmed pretty fast and after that they learn everything else much faster, easier and have more fun.

One real problem I see is there are many in deniel. When they see how it should look they rationalize that they are just sight seeing and don't need to be that good.

Your in Chicago, your not all that far from me. Take a field trip down here some time or meet us at one of the quarries. Watch our staff and students. I welcome your comments.

jepuskar once bubbled...
About 90-95% of PADI instructors should not be in the water to begin with as their diving skills are usually inferior to a basic open water student trained by another agency.

Wow, you are sooooo lucky. I mean, to have had the opportunity to dive with 95% of all PADI instructors, now that's a lot of diving. You must have ten thousand dives, just checking out PADI instructors. Do you think I'll ever have as many dives as you? Where do you find the time, and when did you finish your "PADI Instructor World Survey Tour?" It must have been a while ago, you certainly can't dive that much spending all your time ranting on the internet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom