PADI Inadequacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver once bubbled...
Raybo and others,

When we did our OW the instructors taught that a 4% increase in depth should be added to the actual depth dived for every 1000' of altitude and should be worked into the table calculations. So for 5000' the addition would be an additional 20% to the dive depth.

This is not correct. Think of theoretical depth (the depth we want to use) as depth in atmospheres. At sea level 33 feet is one atmosphere but if we halve atmospheric presure a dive to 33 feet is like a dive to 66 feet. This is true because what we're interested in is the presure change on ascent as a percentage.

so...

presure at sea level/presure at altitude =
theoretical depth/actual depth

then... Theoretical depth =
depth * presure at sea level/presure at altitude

Ascent speeds and deco /safety stop depths need to be modified in the same way.

A borden tube depth gauge must also be corrected because they are usually calibrated for use at sea level.

ABQdiver once bubbled...

This has always been a source of interest to me. Should the dive be calculated on the deepest dive depth or the average depth? If your using the tables its the deepest point, plus any altitude adjustments. What if a computer is used and the "average" depth is known?

First off- we've got to get together and buddy before the DIR-F class. I'm sure you'd like a little brush up as much as me. Looks like it got changed to April which is better for me. And what was that other post about no Quattros in that class? Oh, well!

Back on topic of altitude:

I think you metioned in another post that you use a Cobra. I just got one, and have a Stinger that I have about 35 dives on. Although they're good for essentially taking a time/depth logging and running a "continuos" calculation against the deco algorithm, I can't imagine they have any way of "knowing" that you are essentially continuing to ascend above what it registered as the starting point of zero at the dive site surface. It's someting they could probbably do, but such a limited necessity I can' timagine an economic justification for it. It also has no way of knowing how much fiurther you're going to ascend.

Ironically, Bert says he has had a situation where as he "descended" from Blue Hole to somewhere in Texas right after diving, and his computer started another dive and tracked it, apparently based on the increase in ambient atmospheric pressure. Thought that was strange, but I have no reason to doubt his claim.

Someone with more backgound with SSI (or anybody else) jump in here if this doesn't sound right.

I think you indicated you were certified with SSI. Not familiar with their tables, and how they adjust for muti-level dives. PADI has what they call the wheel, and gives credt for decreasing depth over time, and lightens up the pressure group you end up in. With a computer, I don't think there is any way to know what your final group is because it's based on a "model" and not a specific table, so there's no way to make a determination of an SI to get to a safe group before ascending.

Absent a multi-level type table, I was taught in both the Y and PADI courses that you have to use max depth, with total time from the time you leave the surface until you start your final ascent to the surface. "Average has no bearing in determining you group at end of dive.

When we did our OW the instructors taught that a 4% increase in depth should be added to the actual depth dived for every 1000' of altitude and should be worked into the table calculations. So for 5000' the addition would be an additional 20% to the dive depth.

I have an altitude table, and that adjustment looks right for the spot checks I did against it.

According to the Bruce Weinke book, it's a fairly linear change up to 10,000 ft, but then it gets exponential (it's actually exponential below that, but apparently close enough to be linear for simplicity) Still working through all that stuff. I'm trying to wade through the formulas and undersand where all the variables are coming from. The book is very good from a technical standpoint, but has very few practically applied problems. At some point, the light's going to come on, and it'll all make sense, but right now it's still a little foggy. The text states that it is a relativley simple and sttraighforward progression to determine, but doesn't give an example.

We're doing a "class" session in preparation for our ice trip. I'll see if I can get some clarification on it. We went over it, but it apparently didn't stick too well. I'd feel a lot more comfortable traveling if I understood it a little better.

I mentioned in a previous post that I try to dive a "conservative" profile. Someone jump right in here an contradict me if I have an erroneous interpretation of that:

I try to dive the deepest part first, with time at max depth at about 50%-60% of that depth's NDL. Maybe a little more time if it's something interesting, but rarely past 75%. Ascend to about 2/3 that depth for about another 50% of remaining gas (not including end of dive reserve), hit about 1/3 of max depth for balance of gas, safety stop (almost always unless buddy is having issue and needs to get out) and out. Try to do something along these lines all the time. Always try to avoid increased depth (barring something that I just have to see) once I've started into that ascent transition. Varies a little based on conditions, but if so, almost always more conservatively. I'm getting older with a family, and want to come home from every dive, and really not up for trying out my DAN insurance policy.

I haven't checked anyone's math or tables.

Mike,

Keep in mind that diving at altitudes above 10,000 ft is discouraged. We have ½ atmosphere at 18,000 ft. I realize you used ½ to make the math easier, but others might not be aware and try a dive at that altitude.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

This is not correct. Think of theoretical depth (the depth we want to use) as depth in atmospheres. At sea level 33 feet is one atmosphere but if we halve atmospheric presure a dive to 33 feet is like a dive to 66 feet. This is true because what we're interested in is the presure change on ascent as a percentage.

so...

presure at sea level/presure at altitude =
theoretical depth/actual depth

then... Theoretical depth =
depth * presure at sea level/presure at altitude

Ascent speeds and deco /safety stop depths need to be modified in the same way.

A borden tube depth gauge must also be corrected because they are usually calibrated for use at sea level.

If I'm understanding you correctly, then your formula is based on atmospheres:

pressure at sea level (divided by) pressure at altitude (equals)
theoretical depth (divided by) actual depth

Am I following you correctly?
Boy this brings a whole other dimension to a seemingly simple process.:bonk:

Raybo,
First off- we've got to get together and buddy before the DIR-F class. I'm sure you'd like a little brush up as much as me. Looks like it got changed to April which is better for me. And what was that other post about no Quattros in that class? Oh, well!
That would be my preference as well. Seems like there are several issues that would be better with a little "before class" practice. PM me and we'll make that happen.

I think you mentioned in another post that you use a Cobra. I just got one, and have a Stinger that I have about 35 dives on. Although they're good for essentially taking a time/depth logging and running a "continuos" calculation against the deco algorithm, I can't imagine they have any way of "knowing" that you are essentially continuing to ascend above what it registered as the starting point of zero at the dive site surface. It's someting they could probably do, but such a limited necessity I can' imagine an economic justification for it. It also has no way of knowing how much fiurther you're going to ascend.
Your memory is good, Yes I use a Cobra which when diving at altitude and is adjusted for that. I agree that the computer has no way of knowing if the ascent (I'm assuming your meaning more altitude after getting out of the water) will continue.

I checked with the Cobra manual, it reads: "When programming the instrument for the correct altitude, you need to select the correct Altitude Mode according to table (1000-5000ft would be A1) The dive computer will adjust its mathematical model according to the entered altitude mode , giving shorter no-decompression times at higher altitudes"

ABQdiver once bubbled....

Boy this brings a whole other dimension to a seemingly simple process.

You have that right. I'd like to find a relatively easy method to determine the surface interval required to achieve a safe group to ascend to a specified altitude after dive. This book I have indicates it can be done with the navy tables, but even so, doesn't list any examples to halp understand it.

I figure I'm going to be doing a lot of altitude diving, and on a Saturday afternoon excursion, I'm not going to be able to wait 12 hours. I need to be able to plan the dive with the post dive ascent figured into the dive plan.

Guess I need to keep researching.

Walter once bubbled.....

Keep in mind that diving at altitudes above 10,000 ft is discouraged.

Couple of lakes I want to check out that this spring that are approaching that. That's why I need to get this figured out.

ABQdiver once bubbled...

If I'm understanding you correctly, then your formula is based on atmospheres:

pressure at sea level (divided by) pressure at altitude (equals)
theoretical depth (divided by) actual depth

Am I following you correctly?
Boy this brings a whole other dimension to a seemingly simple process.:bonk:

You are following correctly. As I mentioned if you are using an analog gauge the depth reading must be corrected before theoretical depth is calculated (I can provide the equation if anyone cares). The acception is a cappilary gauge which will read theoretical depth.

To simplify the process theoretical depth charts are available and are contained in may text books. Most computers now days also compensate for altitude also. And again keep in mind that ascent speeds and stop depths require conversion also.

[/B][/QUOTE]
the training you get is mostly your responsibility. You got a book. Did you read it? If you did, you knew what was required, so why didn't you question your instructor when they neglected your instruction?

I will agree with you up to a point. As an instructor it is my responsibility to TRY to give everyone as much education as possible. Yes, it is your responsibility to read and ask questions. I'm far from perfect so I will miss something in discussions and it is very helpful when I am quizzed about it.

perfect practice makes for perfect performance. Did you practice every skill (outside of the mandatory sessions)?
and that he expected that we tip him and the assistant for any additional assistance/instruction because they were very experienced - which they both were - and that we were getting a great deal!

The extra practice, I'm sure was a great help, but unfortunately not all of us have the luxury of a pool full time so we don't have the luxury of demanding remidial classes. Yes, he and/or his assistant (according to agency and level of assistant) would have to be in the water with you but expect a tip?.. Did he even tell you how much per hour his tip should be? I teach for the enjoyment of it. Yes, I get paid but so far I haven't even made a dent in my cost of becoming and continuing to be an instructor. I have spent many hours helping students improve their skills and wouldn't think of charging them a "tip". If they miss class for no good reason, then that is something else. I will charge them for a makeup class..

He warned us (strongly) that if we did not come use the pool to practice on our own during the weekends, we stood a fair chance of not passing

I'm glad you enjoyed your class and are so excited and about continuing your diving and education. but IMHO I doubt if I would have enjoyed the same type of open water class that you had, notice I said I. I had already been down the military road and knew about blowing up things... I was wanting to enjoy my self.

Good diving

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
You are following correctly. As I mentioned if you are using an analog gauge the depth reading must be corrected before theoretical depth is calculated (I can provide the equation if anyone cares). The acception is a cappilary gauge which will read theoretical depth.

At the present time I'm using a Cobra with the altitude adjustment internal to the mathematical model.

To simplify the process theoretical depth charts are available and are contained in may text books. Most computers now days also compensate for altitude also. And again keep in mind that ascent speeds and stop depths require conversion also.

I would like to have the names of the books to satistfy my own curiousity about the subject. Can you name a few?

Thanks

Thanks Stephen.

I really appreciate the information about altitude diving. None of what you posted was done during our dives, pre or post.

It is obvious from your post I have got an awful lot to learn. My beef is that I should have gotten more than what we did in our OW class. In my opinion the instructor and the dive shop did not do what PADI standards said they should have done.

I have sent my letter to PADI QA with alot of the information I have gotten off this thread, and included the names and addresses of everyone that was in the class so that they can contact them if they feel that is neccessary.

So in answer to my original post, No I don't think it is PADI as an organization that is the problem in this case. I think it is entirely the problem of the dive shop and the instructors.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded.

Don:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom