PADI IE this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing the IE this weekend. Anyone have any nuggets of wisdom they would like to impart?

Nuggets of wisdom:

a. Don't be hungover

b. Know your Instructor Manual -- especially the index!

c. Always make sure to "sell" something during a presentation

d. Don't forget a towel or a swimsuit (or mask, fins, snorkel, etc.)

e. Remember -- the Examiner wants you to pass so don't fear any of it

f. Have a lot of diving experience and diving experiences before you do the I.E. (but that advice may be too late for you!)

g. Read the USJ article on "An Early Transition to Neutral Buoyancy" -- summer of 2011!!! Do what the article suggests and you'll be a star -- guaranteed!

Some times it's best to descend with just one student while "leaving the other on shore" or having them supervised by your assistant.

Don't kill your students :wink:

Relax. If you paid attention in your DM & IDC, you should do fine.

Relax, it's not hard to do great if you are prepared. Don't try to "just pass the IE!" Your goal should be to get every single point possible on everything.

Briefs are supposed to be brief. Don't be overly verbose for no reason.

If a skill has a time standard, make sure you meet that standard. They will time it, and you are a no-go if you miss.

ETA: If you haven't, join the I2I area... there's a thread there with tons more: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/instructor-instructor/

Some times it's best to descend with just one student while "leaving the other on shore" or having them supervised by your assistant.
Make sure when you "leave them on shore" they are out of the pool. I watched a candidate require a second presentation for not taking his entire group down. This was after the Examiner prompted him a few times by asking if they had everything they needed and if everyone was going.

If a skill has a time standard, make sure you meet that standard. They will time it, and you are a no-go if you miss.
Good point. You can always extend the time. It it less stressful if you just wear a watch.

As with time, if your skill has a distance requirement, make sure you meet that too.

Standards exam is easy if you take the manual and use it for the exam. Know where to find the information, do not try to memorize it.

Last edited:
Right on, thanks for the responses. I read the article, twice, should I have the other candidates get neutral before the skill? The CD that did my IDC said many times if the standard has a time or distance, make sure its for at least the time or distance prescribed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom