PADI Gas Blender course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Iguana Don
About the O2 cleaning of the chicken, you don't have to clean the legs, kinda like the 2nd stage. It's impossible to O2 clean the legs. Be sure you don't let them charge you for it either!

FID

NO most shops will charge you for the grease though. or Even the hot n spicy sauce for the wings. It would be like all the small print Free O2 cleaned chicken with purchase of feather plucker, parts and tax extra.

If you really want to start continuously blending your mix you do not need a RIX. I have setup a number of compressors (RIX, Bauer and I-R) for continuous blending of trimix. The RIX has a much higher maintenance schedule and needs some modification to deal with the additional heat (SS heads, valves and rings seem to do the trick). The oil lubricated units need to have proper filtration to deal with the hydrocarbons & CO generation that is possible. And depending on the type, the aftercoolers need to have better airflow over them.

The addition of helium blending to these systems was a simple addition of a helium supply line set up to the existing Nitrox Stik continuous blending setup. (Roak you can refer "Special Ed" Street - aka Blacknet to the 1,000+ users of these systems when talking about oxy cleaning as well).

Because of the differences in compressibility (which will require more work) and the thermal conductivity of a high He mix more heat will be transferred to the compressor aftercoolers than an air mix. If a high quality synthetic oil and proper ventilation is employed then the compressor will be able to handle the mix with no mods. Also running a compressor for a shorter duration will reduce heat build up.

To get a "Trimix" fill all that is needed is to start the compressor, adjust the flow rate of the gas supply (O2 and He) and monitor the analyzers during the fill. This system allows us to easily get within 1% of the desired mix every time without having to be concerned about the different compressibility's of the gases and temperature changes.

In my mind a haskell is an obsolete, time consuming and costly alternative to a continuous blending system for trimix. Returning a partially filled cylinder of helium or needing a Haskel to use all of the gas is a thing of the past. A continuous blending operation is also inherently safer than stacking gase

omar

Good phrase, omar! I'm going to remember that one!

Roak

Originally posted by omar
If you really want to start continuously blending your mix you do not need a RIX. omar

Of course - you're right....
But I am so happy with my RIX....
My enthusiasm just bubbled out....scuz me....

Haven't seen the extra heat from pumping He....
But then I've got an extra fan feeding the front of the RIX....
I tested the temp of head #1 with my finger....
Couldn't tell a difference from EAN 32 to TX 21/45....
I wonder if #2 and #3 are the same????

He analyzer???

Pug,

You know what is going on. You proved it by using the extra fan. Most compressors will work fine continuously blending Tmx if a little thought is given to setting them up.

There are a couple of ways to blend Tmx. The easiest is with a He analyzer.

omar

Who can afford a He analyzer after buying a Haskell and 3 digital guages?The only advantage I could see to the booster/Haskell system would be blowing as many different mixes as you had fill whips and manifold outlets for.Unfortunately it already resides in buddies garage,fortunately he paid for it.

Please stop. This is torture. I am salavating, my hands are shaking, I want it so bad I can barely breathe, but my accountant sez "no"!

It isn't so much the setup, it is adding on the garage that is going to break me.

Give a gal a break, huh? Can I at least come visit yours. Just one little sniff, that's all, I'll quit after this...

Originally posted by omar

Pug,
You proved it by using the extra fan.

Well, yah, sur....that way I don't have to lick my finger first.

The easiest is with a He analyzer.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed....ain't it grand!!! Do you know Brad or do you know OMS????

Originally posted by watergal
Please stop. This is torture.

Not until you ;-0 your eyez out.....

Or sell the kids and use their bedroom for a fill station....
No, better keep the kids....fire the accountant!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom