PADI Gas Blender course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UP,

Don't sweat it :wink:. I say that about my kids all the time -- it just humor. It doesn't mean anything.

I like the humor we see on this board. :D

Mike

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
A page back I made an attempt at humor that was totally inappropriate when I wrote

"Or sell the kids and use their bedroom for a fill station.... "

Upon relflection I realize that in today's world ... unfortunately...
this is no joking matter!

After reading an article in this morning's paper about world wide traffic in children for immoral purposes....I am chagrined that I made such a careless comment....
and will never do so again....

I apologize

I agree with LY about the humor

My parents always encouraged me to move out.

MY son has come in pretty handy on a few shore dives when I hadn't calculated my weight proper, My son brought the correct weights promptly when asked.

PADI produces great training aids for instructors. I haven't had an opportunity to pour into the new DSAT blender course yet, although I will probably be teaching it very soon. The IANTD manual is a ClusterF*&+ if I've ever seen one. PADI and DSAT can only improve in this area.
PADI is not doing so hot in the OTA (other than air) stuff so far. They misrepresented the individuals who "started" the tec-rec program. One of the guys is so disgusted, he can't even talk about it.
How bad could they screw up a few formulas and a chart?

Uncle Pug:

I just saw your ammendment. It's too late! I already took your advice; the kids are gone! I think I could still get the accountant; no one else wants her either.

Sort of a shame in a way, they would have liked to play with the helium too.

Clearly no apologies needed here.

Originally posted by watergal
Uncle Pug:

Clearly no apologies needed here.

Thanks for your graciousness....
Love my kids (and grandkids) a bunch....
And that was just a funny saying until I read the paper....
I makes me sick to think of what is going on in this world.....

As with any business you need to be profitable. PADI is a profitable company. DSAT is an extension of PADI. The time and money spent on the production of Technical Diving Courses adds up and needs to be recovered through the sales of course material wich includes certification proccess. DSAT produces the TEC courses and certifies through Instructors that have already been certified as TEC Instructors from other organizations. After going through a peers skills review and completing additional paper work and applications the former TDI, IANTD, NAUI, ANDI or so instructor is then a PADI Instructor for Deep Tec.
PADI decided to put all phases of the Tec training together to make the class seem more realistic. Why make someone sit through classes that don't flo from one subject to another. That goes the same for the Gas Blender course. PADI got a name for itself a while back. They certify more than twice the divers than the next closest agency. With this many divers from one organization there are going to be more dive related problems associated with this organization. PADI has always been a little slow for change. But when they do, they do it well.
Enough of that. I hope we do get more people into the Tec community, only if they seek the knowledge of a good instructor and dive on a regular basis.

I clean my chicken with vinegar!!

I traded my kids for chicken once, but the chicken wasn't O2 cleaned, so I got my kids back and 1 to boot.

ID

Speaking of chicken, went into K-Mart here in Denver the other night. They have the Super K-Marts here. I was checking out the meat dept and there right in front of my eyes, next to the breasts and thighs (OK guys, this is not what you think) there in living color was a package of chicken feet. Anybody got any clues on this?

them deep fried on a stick while in CHINA, you eat off the pads. of course there is the baby chicken on a stick the chicken head on a stick, ect. on a stick

:rolleyes: I have already taken the PADI/DSAT blending course as well as the Blending Instructor course. It started the day after PADI got their paperwork together, and may have been the first PADI/DSAT blender class worldwide!?

Divesherpa asked:
How bad could they screw up a few formulas and a chart?

As with most new things,:amazed: let's just say ther are a few things that need to be revised in the manual. It is infinitely easier to read than the IANTD manual, but...
:whoa:
there aren't any actual formulas written out in the PADI/DSAT manual!

They show plenty of math, but no E=mc^2

And I quote DSAT:

"To find each gas percentage in a helium/air or helium EANx mix:
1. Divide the nitrogen percentage by the oxygen percentage of the previous blend' top up gas which was either air or enriched air nitrox. ( It is imperative that you knowwhat went into the previous/residual mix.)
2. The resulting quotient is a constant that represents the N2/O2 ratio.
3. Analyze the oxygen content of the mix remaining in the cylinder.
4. Multiply the working pressure of the cylinder by the oxygen content.
5. Multiply the working pressure of the cylinder by the quotient in step two. This results in the pressure, in bar or psi, of the nitrogen in the cylinder when it was at maximum working pressure.
6. Divide the quotient from step five by the working pressure of the cylinder to find the percent of nitrogen that is in the mix.
7. Add the percent of oxygen in the mix from step three to the nitrogen percent from step six.
8. Subtract the sum from step seven from 100 to reveal the helium percent in the mix."

PADI /DSAT does have nice charts, a decent appendix, and a fairly intuitive software program that does all the math for you. But they forgot to just print formulas! :bonk:

Originally posted by Drew Sailbum
:rolleyes:
"To find each gas percentage in a helium/air or helium EANx mix:
1. Divide the nitrogen percentage by the oxygen percentage of the previous blend' top up gas which was either air or enriched air nitrox. ( It is imperative that you knowwhat went into the previous/residual mix.)
2. The resulting quotient is a constant that represents the N2/O2 ratio.
3. Analyze the oxygen content of the mix remaining in the cylinder.
4. Multiply the working pressure of the cylinder by the oxygen content.
5. Multiply the working pressure of the cylinder by the quotient in step two. This results in the pressure, in bar or psi, of the nitrogen in the cylinder when it was at maximum working pressure.
6. Divide the quotient from step five by the working pressure of the cylinder to find the percent of nitrogen that is in the mix.
7. Add the percent of oxygen in the mix from step three to the nitrogen percent from step six.
8. Subtract the sum from step seven from 100 to reveal the helium percent in the mix."
:bonk:

No doubt the author of the above method used to work for the IRS in writing *simplified* instructions for filling out form 222378b/c rev. 12

I recognize the writing style....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom