PADI Enriched Air Certification.... a little fishy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could google all the information and figure it out yourself, but that wouldn't be profitable.

Yes, and I guess the next step would be a DIY course on staged decompression diving based on the posts here on ScubaBoard...

To the poster who said that you didn't learn or go over the tables:

Realize that the PADI 32 and 36 tables are basically the same as the air tables with different values put in based on the higher O2. You learned the tables in your open water course, the same rules apply.

Also PADI is shying away from table use even in open water class and utilizing computer use from the start. Which is what alot of agencies are doing, SDI for instance.

I didn't find that the PADI EANx course covered any diving techniques in a practical manner. I would have thought it appropriate to do practical toxing diver rescues as the material is covered in a didactic fashion, but seeing as neither the NAUI or PADI nitrox courses have any practical component, I really see no reason not to learn it from Google if you're able. I would not say the same thing for anything with a practical component (OW, RQ, etc)

Yes, and I guess the next step would be a DIY course on staged decompression diving based on the posts here on ScubaBoard...

The knowledge required to safely dive nitrox is at the self study level. A reputable book is preferable to an online search on SB.

On Scuba Board searches, you'll often find not everyone agrees, so there's no unified 'one way' to learn & know, anyway. The lack of unity handicaps the utility for a newbie. Some want to know gas law & other in-depth aspects and where maximum operating depth recommendations come from, etc... Some just want to know how deep to go is safe, roughly what it's for (extending bottom times, particularly on repetitive dives) and that you need to dedicate tanks to it but usually can use other gear interchangeably between air & nitrox tanks.

Judging from some 'deep air' discussions, people on the forum can't even agree on how to dive air, much less nitrox.

Richard.

I agree with your statement drrich2. Alot of people especially here on scubaboard disagree on what a class should cover. Some feel that if you didn't have to do a doctorate level 100 page thesis on the pros and cons of using a snorkel and go through the same physical challenges of a NAVY Seal to get a cert than the class isn't worth it and that when they took the same class it was so much harder.

The point of any class is to make sure that you and your instructor feel confident that when the instruction is over and the teacher turns around, you as a diver will not kill yourself.

You are not going to learn how to become a saturation diver from (insert ANY agency here) basic nitrox course. If you don't feel safe diving nitrox cause you felt that your instructor (not PADI) didn't tell you absolutely everything you need to know, then you should have asked more questions.

And all this time I've been doing TDI courses :kiss2:

I 100% agree with ffdiver. It is ultimately your responsibility as a diver to ensure your safety. You can go to all the classes you want and pass all the tests with flying colors, but in the end if you don't dive what you've learned or have accepted paying the money and leave the class without the knowledge you need to dive comfortably...than you might want to take up extreme backgammon where the final result of a bad day isn't your life.

Yeah, its a funny one. The reality is that most people do use their computers to do these dives when certified but I do feel that teaching the course without the tables is going to end up with the student not having as competent an understanding as if they had used them.

I teach the nitrox course still using the tables as well as the computer but this will not be possible for ever as I believe that PADI will soon retract the tables alltogether. The next course I have scheduled is with 2 students that do not have computers but want to get nitrox certified. There is nothing to stop them going out and getting their tanks filled and going on an unguided dive but if they do not have computers and the tables were not in their course then where would this leave them?

I just signed up for the PADI Nitrox class. The literature included tables, an equivalent air depth chart and an instruction book for the tables. Even if that material is not fully covered in class, I will study it enough to be comfortable using the tables if I ever need to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom