PADI Enriched Air Certification.... a little fishy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is not technically correct - You must then make two dives under the supervision of an instructor, or plan two dives if nitrox (or diving, for that matter) is not available in your area

The wording from the IG is "It’s recommended that you conduct Enriched Air Dives 1 and 2 whenever possible.
However, when logistics don’t allow them, you have the option to conduct
predive simulation exercises instead."

yes I am well aware of this - which is - er - basically what I said. Logistical problems being if nitrox or diving is logistically unavailable in the location. Gas analysis must be completed so therefore the dive centre in question must have some nitrox available but this could "technically" be a half empty tank that you can't dive with. I teach this stuff all the time, so please let's not get into semantics over the wording!! I understand fully the limitations of the course and why people feel disappointed with the new standards - I am one of them, after all!

Tables and calculations are optional if you have an out-dated set of materials (i.e. pre-2010 changes). I am more than happy to go through these if people request, but practically speaking, most recreationaly divers simply want to know how to use it on a dive boat, without the mathematics.

If my customers wish to learn I'm all for it - but I am disappointed with the new course.

Cheers

C.

I just recently took the PADI enriched air diver course and "passed" the test. I was surprised that I did not have to learn the tables, etc., as the course has changed to become dive computer focused. Now, while I appreciate that the "times they are a changin'" and thus the new course seems to fit the new reality of dive computer diving, I would still liked to have had more instruction related to the tables. Maybe its just me however, as I personally want to have a thorough understanding of the theory associated with EANx diving. Overall I understand the concepts as presented but it would have been nice to also have some cursory exposure to the tables included with the new program

Cheers!

I just recently took the PADI enriched air diver course and "passed" the test. I was surprised that I did not have to learn the tables, etc., as the course has changed to become dive computer focused. Now, while I appreciate that the "times they are a changin'" and thus the new course seems to fit the new reality of dive computer diving, I would still liked to have had more instruction related to the tables. Maybe its just me however, as I personally want to have a thorough understanding of the theory associated with EANx diving. Overall I understand the concepts as presented but it would have been nice to also have some cursory exposure to the tables included with the new program

Cheers!

Then take the TDI nitrox course! :wink:

That's what I did. When my wife and I went to take Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures our TDI instructor had us go through the TDI Nitrox course. He said that the PADI course didn't cover the material in enough detail.
Having taken both the PADI and the TDI courses, I was much happier with the TDI course.

-Mitch

When I took mine in 2002, it went over therory, as well as a test, anylising, labeling and all the safety invoved. Cristolube etc. I got a 36 and 32% tale as well as the equivelent air depth table. I have never put nitrox bands on my tanks and have never had to show my card for a fill. I do anylize after every fill and will not get complacent with trusting a filler even if it was my own mother. Having 38% and hitting 110ft could be deadly. O2 tox underwater is almost certain drowning from spitting out the reg so the dangers are very real with this and to beat that into the students heads should be a priority.

It's a PADI course run by a dive shop. The purpose is for the shop to make money :)

You could google all the information and figure it out yourself, but that wouldn't be profitable.

While I don't agree with the way the Padi eanx course has gone. That comment is idiotic. I don't know anyone who teaches to not make money.

I did IANTD's Nitrox course. In that course we did not do any dives, but it was still a very thorough course. We did all calcualtions to find Best mix,Target operating depth, Maximum operating depth, Equivalent air depth,.....& so on. We used basic air tables & had to convert the depths for Nitrox. We did not even look at Nitrox tables until the very end of the course & only briefly went over programming the dive computer for such. The instructor was so thorough I managed to ace the exam, even though math is NOT a strong point for me, by far. I'm glad I went that way, it gave me a much better understanding of Nitrox & how it can work for or against you.

It's pretty clear to see two camps here. This is also pretty typical of the divers one sees now days. Some are from the, "just tell me how this thing works so I can get in the water", group. The others want to know the whys and hows of the whole process. The standards and programs, over time, have migrated more to the WHAM BAM group. They also tend to be the," I want it as cheap as I can get it", group. This means, for a business, you have to make it up in numbers. The Hows and Whys group values the education, realizes it takes time and money and are willing to put forth the effort. Shops as a general rule, I'm sure, would like to have these people. As far as instructors go, the standards are a minimum, you can always add more to the class to better fit, maybe the type of diving done in the area, within reason and as safety allows of course. It would seem the best course of action would be to ask yourself what kind of person you are and choose a recreational type shop AND agency cert. or a more Tec. shop and or agency. This, of course, would be in a perfect world.

As I've said in other forums along these same lines. Don't always hold PADI responsible for the course. The shop is 90% of the quality of the course. I did PADI EAN and we not only learned the tables but had to demonstrate an understanding thereof. I'm not in love with PADI but I've found their courses comparable to others. It all depends on the shop/instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom